If you had to buy an SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say SUV, I don't mean a transverse mounted engine SUV, or something based of a car chassis, I mean, truck based, rugged looking. I will only buy one american made SUV, a Jeep Grand Cherokee (99-04). The others I am considering are the 03-current Toyota 4 Runner and the Nissan Pathfinder. My good ol' ZJ will be retired around Spring time but I am researching so i'll know how much I'll be expecting to pay. My ZJ is currently giving me 10mpg city, 19 hwy. That's V8 territory. Even the V8 4 runner gives 16 city, 19 hwy and I know my aunt's Seqouia can pull that kind of mileage and it's a much heavier vehicle.

I don't really mind paying the gas because I don't drive much around Baton Rouge but when it comes to going home, the Jeep is just getting bad. Wind noise is unbareable. The suspension is just old. The transmission is rough shifting and is starting to slip. I've done all to get the tranny to work correctly and now other parts of the Jeep are starting to break. I'm tired of it. The newer GC's are much better. My father owns one. I actually use my SUV for its utility so I need something that can replace my Jeep and its utility.

My wife and I wanted a new 4Runner last year but it just didn't make sense to blow $35,000 plus on a vehicle. We ended up buying a 2002 Jeep GC with leather and 28,000 miles for $16,000. We really like and it has the most comfortable front seats.

Well, considering the prices, I'm definently buying used. Our family is 2 Jeeps, 1 Chrysler and a Toyota. I'm looking to buy as soon at 6 months from now. I am just comparing maintainence costs, fuel costs, etc. I know parts on the 4.7L V8 Jeep engine are easy to find and its easy to work on. The 4.0L V6 Toyota (or i wouldn't mind the V8) is new but its a good engine from what I hear. If I get the V6 4Runner, i would probably either get an 05 with the 5speed Auto or the previous generation with a 5 speed manual, which are hard to find. The V8 4 runner has a 5 speed auto.

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
My wife and I wanted a new 4Runner last year but it just didn't make sense to blow $35,000 plus on a vehicle. We ended up buying a 2002 Jeep GC with leather and 28,000 miles for $16,000. We really like and it has the most comfortable front seats.

I'm trying to find one like that but in the Overland model with the rock sliders.

Id do what 1sttruck did... get a loss leader dodge ram cummins turbo diesel, with MT... a 4dr version, and then put a cap on the back.

Essentially the same as many of the original SUVs. Sure it doesnt pass through to the back, but with the bed on a fullsize truck (even the short bed) there's still plenty of space back there.

Ga$$er SUVs just arent where its at... They arent racecars, and if youre not towing or hauling, theyre just grossly overpowered, gas suckers. The diesels can give muc better economy, especially considering their ability, size and weight... oh yeah, and longevity... LOL!

Can you get any real SUVs anymore with 4cyl engines? If so, and you demanded a ga$$er, get one of those with a MT. Suzukis are very popular in the USVI - a place with more severe service than you can really imagine. the old 4runners did OK - so long as they arent ATs.

JMH

There's also the Nissan XTerra. The new ones have loads of power, and are nice, without being too cushy. But I hate the front end.
I guess I still say a Toyota or a used Jeep.

from what Ive seen, the xterra had poor MPG estimates, in 2 and 4wd, in 4 and 6cyl flavors...

JMH

Well, i love my ZJ but its just getting to the point where I need something that isn't as rough and something more reliable.

The history of the ZJ by JeepZJ4.0:
The ZJ started as the 1985 Jeep Concept 1 and was originally designed as a replacement for the venerable XJ Cherokee. This plan was later scrapped once AMC was acquired by Chrysler. The original intention was to have the ZJ replace the XJ in 1988 as a 1989 model. This idea was again, scrapped by Chrysler because they wanted to spend their money on the booming minivan market that they started. It wasn't until the early 90s when the plans were picked up and put into production as the Grand Cherokee since having 3 SUVs to offer as opposed to two would be more profitable. In 1992, the ZJ Grand Cherokee was introduced as a 1993 model.

In conclusion, I'm driving a vehicle thats design is older than me. I turned 19 about a month and a half ago. This was a concept 20 years ago! Imagine that.

JHZR2 - The Dodge Ram Cummins is on my list. The gas mileage is better than any of the SUVs I'm looking at. Do you know about the Ford f250 with the 7.3? I'd think since its a V8, it would get worse mileage.

"It's old but it's good."
Sorry about your reliability issues. In almost 9 years and over 111K miles, my even older design XJ has required only an oxygen sensor, other than the usual maintnence items like brake pads, oil, plugs, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

JHZR2 - The Dodge Ram Cummins is on my list. The gas mileage is better than any of the SUVs I'm looking at. Do you know about the Ford f250 with the 7.3? I'd think since its a V8, it would get worse mileage.

I couldnt really say - but there are lots of experts on herewho surely can shed some insight...

Theoretically, a larger displacement engines with more cylinders should have more losses, and thus worse fuel economy. But, fuel economy is proportional to poer output, since fuel=power.

IMO, the cummins biggest advantage is simplicity, though the fact that it is used in MUCH bigger vehicles is appealing too!

Im sure others will shed in... regarding the diesels.

JMH

Easy.. We just bought a '05 Chevy Trailblazer LT. Loaded this is the nicest and best riding SUV I have ever owned or been in. We could not be happier.

Sorry Al but my wife feels safe driving a Jeep and I feel safe having her drive it. That's all that matters in my book. I'll pay for the extra gas.

Brett, thats kinda like my father... he bought my little sister a Jeep (because he didn't have one to hand down like me...) and it's very reliable. They are safe vehicles and they are reliable.... except for mine... 10 years old.. blah.

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
Sorry Al but my wife feels safe driving a Jeep and I feel safe having her drive it. That's all that matters in my book. I'll pay for the extra gas.

"safe" until it flips or severely injures others in lower vehicles. Maybe its just my limited experience, but it seems that women dont understand center of gravity as well as men, and EVERY flipped SUV Ive seen (about 10 in the last 2 years), where the driver was visible, was driven by a woman! Just something to consider - Im not saying that your wife is a bad driver or anything like that. Perhaps more defensive driver training (behind the wheel) would be a better choice?

There are idiots on the road... but in a REALLY bad collision, it really doesnt matter if youre driving an excursion, a jeep, or a geo metro. People get severely inured and killed in all three.

Being a better driver and improving all US drivers' skills (and stopping the really bad drivers better) is what needs to be done, but thats a rant for another thread
smile.gif

JMH

After watching 2 incidents of Jeep cherokee roll-overs last winter, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one. The really ridiculous thing was that after we got one woman out of her's she says 'I sure am glad I was in this Jeep'. I guess she just enjoyed being upside down in a 6 foot ditch for 20 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back