If you had the means to move anywhere in the US today where would that be?

I like where I live, so I wouldn't want to move. But I WOULD like to have enough money to be able to travel and see the world. So many awesome places I'll probably never get to see, because $$$

If money's no object...

Late summer and early fall near Moosehead Lake, ME and the rest of the year on coastal Maui.

Internationally I'd do 4-NYC, Dublin, Paris and Capetown or Windhoek. I don't know. I'd have to throw in Tangier, Morocco and Santiago, Chile are beautiful as well
Spent many summers on Moosehead as a child. Boat access only on the road to Kineo.

Capetown South Africa if you want to be robbed or murdered maybe. Their homicide rate is 8 TIMES higher than in the USA per 1000 people. Their carjacking rate is something like 12 times higher than the USA per 1000 people. Not pretty.
RSA does have a high crime rate. I can't argue that. But there are a lot of people living good lives there.

Perfect World: I would be a snowbird:
I do that for work, although retiring soon.

Jupiter, FL is absolutely glorious in winter.
North East in the summer.

Jupiter:
U4cpYyT.jpg

I'd move about 20 miles west of where I currently live, then I'd be in a county without emissions and outside of the city's planned growth area, but still near a big town and a highway.

I'd move about 20 miles west of where I currently live, then I'd be in a county without emissions and outside of the city's planned growth area, but still near a big town and a highway.
omg...... I won't be able to sleep tonight, unless I figure out where this place is.

I would like to live in Vancouver, Washington. Not in Vancouver BC.
Vancouver is across the Columbia river from Portland, Oregon. It has a unique position in that since it’s in Washington State there is no income tax, but since it’s so close to Oregon where there’s no sales tax, it is essentially a tax haven.

Weather in the Pac NW-area is mild if you’re on the West side of the Cascades. It's not cold there in the winters - you might get snow for a week, tops.

2nd Place would be Sheridan, Wyoming. One of the most beautiful and scenic places in the mountainous USA.

Last edited:
omg...... I won't be able to sleep tonight, unless I figure out where this place is.

I would like to live in Vancouver, Washington. Not in Vancouver BC.
Vancouver is across the Columbia river from Portland, Oregon. It has a unique position in that since it’s in Washington State there is no income tax, but since it’s so close to Oregon where there’s no sales tax, it is essentially a tax haven.

Weather in the Pac NW-area is mild if you’re on the West side of the Cascades. It's not cold there in the winters - you might get snow for a week, tops.
I remember when Vancouver was a small town. Not so anymore. Your tax suggestion is a good one. Look downriver towards Ilwaco or the Long Beach peninsula on the Washington side. Costco in Warrenton/Astoria right across the river. 90 minutes to an international airport. More bang for your buck house-wise.

Well, if you want to avoid income and sales taxes, there is New Hampshire, which has neither. And it has cheap State liquor stores, which sell a lot of booze to out of state customers.

In fact, they even have State liquor stores in some of the rest areas on interstate highways.

Flagstaff got 142 inches of snow last winter including 46 inches in one storm. In town. Is Vermont worse?

The rescue I volunteer at just had a rez dog adopted by a couple who has a house in Sedona and another in Carmel. Rags to riches indeed.
The Carmel Highlands is one of the beautiful areas on the planet. Nestled between the Monterey Peninsula and Big Sur. I'd settle for this one. Almost $9M asking price.

Scott

c3cda69488f23c807e5a33e74132906fl-b3190136222od-w480_h360_x2 copy.jpg
c3cda69488f23c807e5a33e74132906fl-b2178293015od-w1024_h768_x2.jpeg

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...armel_CA_93923_M25478-44901?from=srp-map-list

Last edited:
If money was no object, the Carmel Highlands in California.

The proximity to Laguna Seca doesn't hurt a bit either.

The Central California coast between Monterey and Santa Barbara is quite nice, for anyone who's ever taken that road trip.

I'd also consider Hawaii, but not Honolulu or the other larger cities. The Upcountry part of Maui was quite nice, with a lot of farms and stables.

Internationally, I'd have a place somewhere in Tuscany, one in the Alps, and a pied-à-terre in the great cities like NY, Paris, London, or Tokyo, for the times when an urban feel is desired.

Never been to the Southern Hemisphere, but New Zealand and Austrailia would no doubt have some attractive candidates as well.

But I would want to have some sort of water body nearby. Would not want to be land locked.

Abbeyville, Ohio or Valley City Ohio where time stands still. Not expensive either.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlk
Back