If you couldn't afford a Colt Python

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: INMY01TA
Smith and Wesson 686+ would be my choice.

Indeed, in 4 inch. IMO, the best 357 money can buy.

Last edited:
If you are in love with the Python lock work, try finding a Colt Officer's model or early Colt Trooper. If you like large frames, the the Colt New Service would be the ticket as well as it has the famed Colt lock work. A good choice if you have large hands, not so good for double action work if your hands are small.

If you want a nice high end revolver, try the Smith Model 27. It is accurate and and has top drawer fit and finish like the Python.

If you want something styled similarly to the Python try a Smith & Wesson Model 586 or 686. Like others have said, it is robust, accurate and you don't need to worry about getting a scratch on it.

I have never owned a python but I have owned troopers and cobras. In my mind the colts are more refined as far as fit, finish and overall craftmanship. I can certainly understand why someone would want one over a Smith or Ruger. That being said, if you cant afford a python then I would suggest a trooper. As far as Smiths and Rugers go, I put the 686 and GP100 as equal guns but the Smith being ever so slightly stronger in the frame. I think between Smith and Ruger that the Ruger points better and feels better in the hand but that is all a matter of personal preference. If you cant get a Colt then just flip a coin between the 686 and GP100, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Fellows - I got a heck of a deal on a nearly new Colt Trooper MK III. It's flawless and has an extra 4" and a 6" barrel (installed). While maybe the DA isn't as perfect a real Colt Python, it's pretty nice and the SA is about as slick as any trigger I've felt.

Colt Diamondback is a nice option for a 38- has the same looks, but slightly less refined in the action, about on par with a 586/686. Have owned a Python, Diamondback, and still own an Anaconda. If you can roll with more recoil, then the Anaconda is the way to go. Python looks, 44 Spec/Mag punch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back