If you couldn't afford a Colt Python

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a jones real bad for a Colt Python.....and it only got worse on Friday....a dude is moving back to his motherland and can't take his 4" Colt Python with him. But he went to my work buddy first. $650. L-U-C-K-Y. Oh man........THAT close.....I was second in line............

I would love to have a 6" Python or even a 6" Trooper. But drop the Colt, what is a close equivalent? What are your favorite DA .357/.38 Special revolvers?

Smith and Wesson 586. Just as pretty and not afraid to shoot it.

I had a Python MANY years ago and while it was nice I like the 586 more.

For a shooter can not beat a Ruger GP100 IMB. Once they get a few rounds the trigger works out nice and very strong gun.
01.gif

Bill

My brother had a Colt Python about 20 years ago. He let it go cheap back then, too bad. We tried out and owned several revolvers at the time, Smith&Wesson and a few others. The Colt was the nicest machined, best trigger and best shooting of all of them by far. We didn't try out every revolver and maybe the other revolvers have gotten better, but the Colt is my favorite. I don't know what else is good nowadays, maybe a Smith.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I got a jones real bad for a Colt Python.....and it only got worse on Friday....a dude is moving back to his motherland and can't take his 4" Colt Python with him. But he went to my work buddy first. $650. L-U-C-K-Y. Oh man........THAT close.....I was second in line............

I would love to have a 6" Python or even a 6" Trooper. But drop the Colt, what is a close equivalent? What are your favorite DA .357/.38 Special revolvers?

Is this for 2 legged animals or 4 legged animals and will u have a carry permit.

S&W 586 if you want a blued finish or 686 if you like stainless.

I like the looks of the Python, just never could get used to Colt's cylinder release, seems wrong to have to pull back instead of pushing forward.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

I like the looks of the Python, just never could get used to Colt's cylinder release, seems wrong to have to pull back instead of pushing forward.

so, ur in the wrong part of town so to speak, ur cellphone is dead , but gun works,,it a no brainer, u will probably live, by now the cylinder release is not important, staying alive is., Ps, the bad guys carry to, be carefull, aim straight. If u have never been in combat, u will be a nervous wreck the first time u are up against the wall, it aint TV.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

so, ur in the wrong part of town so to speak, ur cellphone is dead , but gun works,,it a no brainer, u will probably live, by now the cylinder release is not important, staying alive is., Ps, the bad guys carry to, be carefull, aim straight. If u have never been in combat, u will be a nervous wreck the first time u are up against the wall, it aint TV.

What???

Go to the range with you work bud and shoot his Python. Years ago "The early 70s" oone of my buds had a Python and I shot it quite a bit. I like the Smith 60-15 with a 3" barrel better !!! Pythons are a target gun. They aren't super heavy duty. The Ruger Security Six is the most heavy duty model of that time era. Though the trigger isn't as nice but it takes a licking and keeps on ticking . Over all Rugers are nice revolvers.

What???

CD is a very "unique" indiviual.

Actually I made mistake. The revolver we had was a stainless Colt King Cobra, not a Python. If you can find a King Cobra cheaper than a Python then that's what I'd recommend. The KC was like I mentioned better machined, better trigger and better shooting than the Smiths and others we owned or tried at the time. I couldn't image how the Python could've been much better than the KC.

I never liked the snake names Colt used kind of like the Ford Mustang. I don't like snakes at all. The Colt revolvers were great though no matter what the name used.

Colts, especially Pythons, would stack heavily in double action and I could never get used to it. The cylinder release is also strange, plus the cylinders rotate "backward" from most other guns.

Get a nice older (pre-lock) 586 or 27/28, have the action worked, and be happy.

If you want to pound it with heavy loads, GP100.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

What???

CD is a very "unique" indiviual.

I was thinking of another word, but OK....

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Every time a pistol is mentioned around here self-defense usage is brought up. Can't a pistol just be a "fun" gun? Who carries a 6" Python for self defense?
Ur right, who carries a Python, I use a 9mm myself, good for average shooting and cheap to target practice.

The utility of the Colt product depends on what you're going to do with it.

For looks, the Python is pretty good.

For a carry gun that's hella stout, the GP100 is hard to beat.

BSW

I find myself in possession of an excellent example of a 1974 Colt Trooper Mk III. Glad I haggled first - I probably would have paid full price if I had seen it first
grin2.gif
. Smooth action and not a scratch or ding....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back