If you could drive any car across USA...,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

which car would you choose for the journey? Imagine it's Summertime, somebody else is picking up the tab on gas, food, hotel, etc. you just have to drive...

I have never driven one, but I am quite sure a new Corvette would be a blast on the interstates...

I know my own needs. And what I need from an automobile I know I get from this new.. Cordoba.

I could ask for nothing beyond the quality of Cordoba's workmanship, the tastefulness of its appearance. I request nothing beyond the thickly cushioned luxury of seats available in even soft Corinthian leather.

Yet, it is on the highway where Cordoba best answers my demands.

I have much more in this small Chrysler than great comfort at a most pleasant price. I have great.. confidence, for which there can be no price.
In Cordoba, I have what I need.

Easy there, Mr. Montalban
laugh.gif

With someone else picking up the tab, it would be a choice between these, but not necessarily in this order:
1. Bugatti Veyron
2. Maybach
3. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

Porsche 993 (the last of the air-cooled ones). A cabriolet/convertible. Nothing like that air-cooled sound!

(Oh, yeah, and a Valentine-One radar detector. And the AAA plus long distance towing!)

Quote:

With someone else picking up the tab, it would be a choice between these, but not necessarily in this order:
1. Bugatti Veyron
2. Maybach

They are all gashogs. At top speed the Veyron only gets 2.1 miles per gallon, so burns through a 26 gallon tank in 12.5 minutes. And at top speed the tires are only good for 15 minutes of driving.

So while theoretically you could travel from Chicago to Denver is about 4 hours, there would be so many pitstops along the way that it wouldn't be much fun.

I think something like the Mercedes E320 CRD or the ML320 CRD would be best -- very comfortable and with about 35 mpg highway, a long time between fuel stops.

Quote:

Quote:

1. Bugatti Veyron
2. Maybach

They are all gashogs. At top speed the Veyron only gets 2.1 miles per gallon, so burns through a 26 gallon tank in 12.5 minutes. And at top speed the tires are only good for 15 minutes of driving.

So while theoretically you could travel from Chicago to Denver is about 4 hours, there would be so many pitstops along the way that it wouldn't be much fun.

I think something like the Mercedes E320 CRD or the ML320 CRD would be best -- very comfortable and with about 35 mpg highway, a long time between fuel stops.

I am sure that the police would be waiting at the pitstops to confiscate the car, suspend the driver's license and arrest him.

Alcibades said nothing about running top speed. He simply answered the three cars one would most like to drive across United States.

I too would love to drive a Veyron cross-country, I am sure at freeway legal speeds mpg is no worse than a big block cadillac. Can you imagine the fun of running up the mountains in Tennesse with 1001 hp. Others cars struggling to make the grade and you pass them like they are standing still...

Ive taken the Borman6, my '88 528e, on several 2k mile road trips, 6k miles would would be fun. In '76 the spousal unit and I drove across country in a '66 bug, that was a trek

Well, I wasn't actually thinking to drive it all the way across the country at 250 mph in any case. And if I'm not picking up the tab, why worry about the gas? I see your points, of course, but this is a hypothetical question. To me, it would be fun in a car like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back