If you could drive any car across USA...,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a chance to try a VW Phaeton W12.

This car would be an incredible one to take cross country, its beautiful on the inside, drives amazingly well, comfortable and motor is great.

I'd plump for a 1991 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, the coupe version of the big S-Class of those days. Comfortable, fast, meant to cruise at high speeds for hours on end. The '91 was the last year, with all the bells and whistles.

A CD changer and a radar detector would have to be added, natch.

For a drive that long, it'd be a 2008 Lexus LS460. I guess I'm just getting too old to drive a loud, spine-punishing sports car such a great distance.

Cadillac STS with AWD and Northstar and the "Premium Luxury Performance" package (loaded) with the optional adaptive cruise control. I've driven a couple STSs equipped like this and they're an absolute pleasure to drive. There's plenty of power and handling on tap, but it's a very comfortable and roomy car for cruising. And let me tell you, adaptive cruise control IS the best thing since slided bread. All you have to do is steer, the car totally handles speed maintenance, even when you're approaching a slow poke. It's WONDERFUL for a long trip. The only downside is that the car will hit the brakes if someone passes you and moves back in front too soon, even when you as a driver know that the gap will widen soon enough. That's easy enough to deal with, though: you just don't worry about it.

I've driven my old 1997 Monte Carlo across the country at least 3 times, I drove a 1998 Buick Riviera across the country and halfway back once, and I've done the same with my new 2006 Monte Carlo, although to be fair I didn't make it all the way to the coast on that trip, only got as far west as Vegas.

Of the three I'd choose the 1997 Monte in a heartbeat. It was easily the most comfortable and the miles just rolled past the easiest. Large enough to hold everything you need but not excessively large. The Riviera is probably a close second, it mainly loses out because it didn't have XM installed, it was a little cumbersome to drive and I'm really not a fan of the power steering which has WAY too much assist. The biggest problem with the Riviera is it needs premium fuel and even with the seat all the way down and back, if I sat upright my head was still against the roof. My new 2006 Monte is probably my third choice. It's absolutely wonderful for short trips and medium length drives, but the seats are just too hard (and to think of all the cars I test drove this had the most comfortable seats!) for extended driving. It does have as much, if not more power than the Riviera however, which is great for hill climbing and passing; while simultaneously only requiring regular fuel *and* getting better fuel economy than my 1997 Monte which had a considerably smaller engine. Really my biggest gripe is the hard seats, I don't understand why new cars have to have such hard seats. Give me a 1970's Buick any day, they can shove this sporty ----; I don't need to fly around corners and not have my butt slide. I'd rather have a soft suspension and big cushy seats. Even the Buick Lucerne rental I drove for a week had seats that were just way too hard.

Now, if I could pick ANY car, I'd gladly make the trip in that perfectly restored 1971 Buick Riviera boattail. What an awesome car for road-trips and cruising around the Route 66 states. If I had to pick a newer car I'd probably go with the Cadillac STS that Matt_S mentioned. I haven't had a chance to drive a car with adaptive cruise control yet, but I'd imagine it's a pretty neat feature. A Mercedes S-class might not be too shabby either. No way in ---- I'd want to do it in any kind of truck or SUV.

One of the cool things about adaptive cruise is you can use it in traffic that would never allow for regular cruise control. All the systems I've seen, including Cadillac and Mercedes, allow you to set whatever following distance you want. The car will either go at the set speed or, when approaching another vehicle, maintain your distance.

I prefer the "sit up high" atmosphere and roominess of SUVs -- especially on long trips. Thus, my choices would be:

Grand Cherokee SRT, ML 6.3 AMG, Cayenne Turbo, Trailblazer SS

Realisticly i'd like to drive a ford crown vic.

Unrealisticly i'd like to drive a ford GT.

1994+ F350 Crew Cab diesel. 4x4 or 4x2, it doesn't matter. I have never felt fatigued driving one of these no matter how long the trip. The seating position on these trucks is perfect for me. Long wheelbase minimizes steering corrections. Just set the cruise on the turbo diesel and it will climb hills with little effort. All that, and I find the sound of a diesel purring away in front of me very comforting.

I have yet to find a car that my knees will tolerate for more than 3 hours at a time . . .

Looks like fun to me:

weinermobile.gif

Quote:

which car would you choose for the journey? Imagine it's Summertime, somebody else is picking up the tab on gas, food, hotel, etc. you just have to drive...

I have never driven one, but I am quite sure a new Corvette would be a blast on the interstates...

I know my own needs. And what I need from an automobile I know I get from this new.. Cordoba.

I could ask for nothing beyond the quality of Cordoba's workmanship, the tastefulness of its appearance. I request nothing beyond the thickly cushioned luxury of seats available in even soft Corinthian leather.

Yet, it is on the highway where Cordoba best answers my demands.

I have much more in this small Chrysler than great comfort at a most pleasant price. I have great.. confidence, for which there can be no price.
In Cordoba, I have what I need.

Last edited:
Quote:

I had a chance to try a VW Phaeton W12.

This car would be an incredible one to take cross country, its beautiful on the inside, drives amazingly well, comfortable and motor is great.

You might as well get a Bentley Continental GT. Same W12 engine, but a few more HP. And the Bentley has to be a better ride than the Phaeton -- it costs nearly three times as much!

I do know of the Cordoba, but the one I know of was discontinued around 1982...could be wrong but year were you refering to Aldaris, by the way just last week I saw a 1980 with 318, black, t-tops for sale in my neck of the woods. They only wanted $3800 I thought if one could stuff a Mopar crate engine in there the 727 could probably handle it. A real sleeper indeed...

My 1978 Grand Prix with 301 was a superb interstate car until she met her demise, sadly on the freeway...
frown.gif

Well, being retired, I have all the time in the world. I would make this trip and try my best to stay off of the Interstate Highways. Backroads and small towns for me. Oh, the care I would like to do this in, a Model A Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back