Idemitsu ATF TLS-LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2012 Toyota Highlander that specs WS. I've done several drains/fills with WS with no issues. I was checking prices on Amazon today and when I searched for "WS ATF" I noticed that they sell 5 quart jugs of Idemitsu ATF TLS-LV which is a direct WS replacement. I usually get 4.5-4.75 quarts out of the transmission, so buying a 5 quart jug for a slightly better price is appealing. I have nothing against WS and planned to continue using it. However, seeing this on Amazon made me wonder about results from anyone who has used it long term. I've seen a few threads mentioning it but nothing much about long term use in a WS application. I know pwople use MaxLife in this transmission, but I'd rather stick to a single use ATF. To be clear, I'm not criticizing the use of MaxLife in your vehicle. I've just decided against it for my own.

Anything thoughts or comments on Idemitsu ATF TLS-LV would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Idemitsu sells a (Honda) DW-1 replacement ATF that isn't like Honda's own DW-1. You said this fluid is a "direct replacement" of Toyotas but how are you sure ?

I've never used Idemitsu ATF TLS-LV.

It is "engineered to meet the WS requirements". It is not "WS". However, it probably would be ok.

Check out John Kelly's (Weber State) YouTube on Toyota ATF. It may help you make a decision.

I am planning on using the Idemitsu ATF in our Lexus GS350 F Sport; I haven't serviced it yet.
My understanding is the Idemitsu is a full synthetic while the WS is not.
Does that make a difference? Dunno.

I used the Idemitsu H Plus in 2 Acura TSXs with great results. I like it better than the Honda stuff.
The car pulled better, especially at low speed acceleration.

I service my cars regularly; the 2006 TSX has had fresh DW-1 every 25K miles. Almost 200K now and is is tip top shape.

Just my experience.
If you have any hesitation, I would just use the WS.
Good luck and have fun servicing your Highlander.

Last edited:
Try and look for fully synthetic Aisin ATW+ thats WS compatible. I am using it on my FJ Cruiser with very good results.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
The TDS implies it is a factory fill for those applications stated in the TDS

Are you referring to the text on the far right under "OE Solutions" ? If so, I think that's deceptive of Idemitsu. You can read that they do make factory-fill fluids but it doesn't specifically say that this TLS-LV is. In fact, that text/column is simply part of their TDS template. Same wording is on the Z-1 fluid, their DW-1 fluid, their Hyundai/Kia fluid, and probably more.

Idemitsu is the factory fill for a surprising number of asian autos- it is not (as many have said) exactly the same in many cases.

I have had good luck with Idemitsu trans fluids in the H, J and CVT type TLS-Fe varieties.

I typically shun universal type fluids, but coming around to certain combos.

UD

Last edited:
I'm using the idemitsu hk in my Kia Rio and it hasn't imploded. I also wouldn't hesitate to use eneos transmission products. Honda I would only use Honda fluids, but that's because of different engineering. Step shift transmissions are all pretty similar, and most all use varying clones of the dexron flavor.

I used this Idemitsu for a couple of 60k fluid flushes in Lexus LXes. It has large WS letters on the back of the bottle. It doesn't claim to be synthetic (ENEOS does).
Autozone carries it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back