ATF for 2018 Camry UB80e, maxlife?

Looking for experiences for this vehicle or similar transmissions. This is my gf's car so I'm trying to avoid a headache. Car has roughly 60k. I know maxlife works great on most for WS application but this is a relatively new trans so looking for first hand experiences. I used maxlife myself for my kia and it works great. I've seen success stories with Idemitsu TLS-LV.

Honestly it could really depend on your gf's confidence in your choices; If she is going to get upset if there are, at some point, transmission problems unrelated to fluid and she finds out you used an unlicensed product, or has other friends that may indicate you blew it up with no evidence, for your own P.O.M use toyota or other WS licensed product.

I used Maxlife in my friends Tundra (specs DexIII) and I will use it in any WS or T-IV app; I have confidence in the product, but I don't have to explain anything to anyone.

JMO.

maxlife is 5.9cst at kv100 which is very similar to toyota ws, merc dex ulv, lifeguard 8.

Castrol transmax universal atf/cvt (not the regular atf) is 7.1cst and is similar to aisin ws. Toyota and aisin ws is slightly different but they're for the same transmission.

check this one out for more info.

People have used maxlife in place of ws in their Toyotas and other brands and their specs with 6+ gears without issue. The Toyota 8 speed had programming issues unrelated to fluid. The gm 8 speed had fluid related issues unrelated to software. I don't think maxlife would really cause issues.

I have a friend who used maxlife in his 2017 tacoma he bought used just before used car prices hit the fan. He did a spill and fill not a flush but i rode with him to lunch after he said he did the fluid and it shifted smoother than my 10spd. Asked him how it felt before and after the fluid change and he said it feels about the same.

To be safe i guess id go with ws until enough people put either in their 8spds to see what they report back for us.

I would not use any oil like Maxlife, that is rated for every vehicle on the block. Get the OEM WS.

Or is their wordage "can be used in" X brand car? Or is Maxlife 100% identical to WS? Highly doubt it.

Trying to save a few bucks on a multi thousand dollar trans is silly.

I'm pretty sure maxlife will be fine, but the situation here is its not my car. First hand experience on this 8 speed would be helpful for my confidence. For my kia, the trans had been around a while and many had positive reviews w max life. I only saw one guy use maxlife on youtube, but the guy was clearly a hack. I found some deals at certain toyota dealerships making it around 8.5 a quart (show multiple dealers by zipcode then check price), so I think i will just use WS. No doubt maxlife is better ATF and cheaper but I $3-4 a quart extra is worth the peace of mind until more experiences come in.

Back