Kia ATF - OEM, Eneos, Maxlife - TDS - DIFFERENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a lot of research on ATF (in general) lately, due to my rapid decline in brand trust. People keep asking me if my ATF smells "burnt"...and I've never been able to tell. I'm a bit new to auto transmissions in the last couple years (never had or wanted one until now), and I simply thought ATF was ATF...

After acquiring a 2003 Kia Optima a friend gave it to me) with suggested auto trans problems, I decided to go deeper into these fluids. I checked the fluid on the Kia and it smelled...well, repugnant! Come to find out...Maxlife simply smells strongly when it's new. That smell seems to confuse even some of the experienced car people I know.

This didn't occur to me until I smelled the OEM Toyota T-IV fluid that had 72,000 miles on it. Not only did it NOT smell at all, it was an interesting grey color. After discussing this with a friend who is the senior mechanic at my local Toyota dealership, he said that is exactly what fluid looks like after 72,000 miles and is NOT burnt. It needed changed, but it was normal.

I realized, if it had been burned, I WOULD be able to smell the "burnt" smell on the Toyota fluid, but I thought it might be difficult to smell on the Maxlife.

For the simple reason of wanting to smell it, and I suppose not wanting to risk an aftermarket fluid with unknown characteristics in the Kia (with suspected issues), I went to the Kia dealership and looked at the OEM fluid label. "Manufactuered by Idemitsu". I thought that was interesting...I went to Napa and found a bottle of Idemitsu Type-HK. The Kia/Hyundai ATF.

After comparing the TDS for the Idemitsu, Eneos (made by Nippon Oil - largest Japanese oil company), ZIC (full syntheic), and Maxlife, I found the Maxlife does NOT have the same characteristics as the others. Check out this comparison chart I made from the various TDS's.

I was not able to find the "OEM" TDS for the Idemitsu-made Kia fluid.

MaxLife is a "compromise" fluid with lower viscosity to meet OEM LV specs - but regular ATF does shear down to 6-8 cST anyway. For most transmissions, that lower viscosity won't hurt them - but there are reports some trannies will shift oddly or "flutter" with MaxLife. I know the Toyota Siennas don't like the stuff, but ML does work fine in a majority of Toyota/Aisin units.

The argument with ML is that it stays within its viscosity range better due to the fact it uses GIII basestocks and less VII is added to it. While a regular, high-vicosity mineral ATF will start high, but shear down.

Looks like Hyundai Kia is still using a high-viscosity fluid in SP-III/SP-IV. I know SP-IV M and RR are different fluids.

Maxlife will be fine
smile.gif

Since I have a Soul and since I had good luck with MaxLife with my Buick Encore and since Valvoline has said ML is ok with HyunKias, I'd like to hear experiences of owners who've tried it. Huh? Huh?

Approx ten years the parts Manager at Garcia Mitsubishi in Albuquerque,NM told me that Valvoline made Mitsu Diamond SP III tranny fluid. He gave me the corresponding part number with Valvoline and told me it was cheaper to go with Valvoline. I purchased the OEM fluid. Can't judge the veracity of his statement, but contracts change.

Currently running Amsoil in my Montero which calls for SP III. Mitsu trannys are very sensitive for my application and Amsoil runs fantastically.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I have used ML in Hondas, Toyotas, Audi's, GM's and Hyundai. No issues to report - - - all shifted great - same or better than OEM
fluid.
Used ML in a 09 A4 for over 100,000kms - - - - shifted amazing when we sold it.

I have Maxlife in the Santa Fe. 2008, 3.3 with a 5 speed auto. 189,000 miles, 100k of those I put on it. We tow a two horse trailer with this vehicle. Trans is rock solid.

Also have Maxlife in the 2003 Mercury Marauder, and I drive the expletives out of it. 112,000 miles with some dragstrip action every now and then.

And finally, Maxlife ATF is in the wife’s Mercury Capri manual transmission. Works flawlessly, quiet, easy shifts and all.

It will be the only ATF on my shelf, save for the CVT in our Ford Freestyle and the Torino, which gets Amsoil everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back