IDEMITSU 0w20 - 3,513mi - 2014 Mazda 3 - 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil cost me $3.75 for 5 quarts of synthetic + $6 oil filter for a total of under $10.

Gotta LOVE Clearance Oil Sales.
banana2.gif

Typical daily beater for our family. Wifey drives the 6spd manual 70% of the time around town driving the kids wherever they need to go. Lots of idle time in traffic, etc and plenty of sprints on the highway. LOTS of revs to the 7,000RPM redline at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE literally every time the car is driven. It makes 155HP at redline and we use it all the time.

Engine is modified with an intake and custom catback exhaust + dyno tuned for 93 octane. Been beating on it since it left the dealership. We both Love this little hatchback.

Code:

OIL Idemitsu 0w20 Synthetic

MILES IN USE 3,513 miles

MILES on unit 68,873

SAMPLE TAKEN 06/18/2018

Make up Oil 0

Universal Average based on 6,000 miles

ALUMINUM 4 4

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 3 11

COPPER 0 3

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 87 144

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 2

POTASSIUM 0 2

BORON 174 81

SILICON 4 12

SODIUM 4 40

CALCIUM 2233 1804

MAGNESIUM 8 291

PHOSPHORUS 808 649

ZINC 873 740

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 50.7 46-57

cSt @ 212ºF 7.47 6.0-9.7

FLASHPOINT ºF 405 >385

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2
TBN 5.2 >1.0

TAN 2.9

Very nice report!

I'd love to replace my Civic with a 2014+ Mazda 3, specifically I'd love to have a GT Sport (hatchback model) in that awesome Soul Red metallic.

Yea that Red is super nice. For some reason, wifey just wasn't feelin' it when we placed an order for our M3 back in 2014. We wanted the baby light blue color but none were available with manual + tech package so we settled for option B... the grey and still waited for over a month for it to arrive from Japan.

Originally Posted By: nap
Holy calcium! Apparently Idemitsu hasn’t heard yet of the LSPI bogeyman....

How many Mazda engines have grenaded due to high calcium induced LSPI?

Most likely not Mazda... But, for the one(s) at fault, isn’t it nice to be able to dust off your failed engine design and blame it to calcium? And, as a bonus, launch a new oil certification with the marketing power of a brand name? Genius move!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
Lotsa life left in that oil. Ever think of going to 5,000 or 6,000 mile OCI?

I already know his answer from past threads. He enjoys changing oil, he drives this car hard, and his oil change costs less than $10. You can't really argue with that reasoning
smile.gif

Oil life monitor showed 60% remaining.

I have the oil safely stored in a clean jug. Waiting to see if a nice beater comes thru my shop that spec's 0w20 and I'll dump my used Black Oil into it for another 5,000 miles worth of use. I've done it many years ago with oil from my Civic Si. Poured it into a 2003 Honda Accord 2.4L and the results after both engines still showed oil life remaining. Hahaha. That was my way of not wasting expensive Amsoil.

Here's a Link for anyone interested.

Recycled Oil Experiment

Originally Posted By: Patman

I already know his answer from past threads. He enjoys changing oil, he drives this car hard, and his oil change costs less than $10. You can't really argue with that reasoning
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Awwww Thanks Patman. I honestly couldn't have repeated it any better myself. Lol.

I will attempt to recycle this oil in another engine and see if I can pull a sample after another 5,000 miles or so and see how this oil will take the abuse. Should be interesting. I'll post pic of BLACK Oil pouring into test engine when I'll get the chance. Gotta find someone willing to participate.

Really nice looking and great car there Artem.

Great score on your oil purchase, hard to beat that.

Nice report. Currently running the same oil with a Napa Gold 7356 in a family member's Rogue, plan to take to 5k mile range. And yes the deal was Slick in every way, I grabbed two jugs and two quarts. Got one 5 quart oil change left. Looking at report combined with price paid
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
Oh, thanks to member wemay for the heads up on promo board.

I think you have a pretty good baseline on your engine & the oil(s) that you're using. Just a curiosity, are all of the OCIs been with the same oil & filter?

I also feel the need to comment on the fact that you're using a 20 weight oil AND drive it hard in the heat of Florida, and the UOAs always look great! So for those on here that feel that this "water thin oil" (their words not mine) can't handle the extremes, this is proof that it can. Kudos to you sir!
smile.gif

I'm curious, what will you run when your huge supply of this oil runs out?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I think you have a pretty good baseline on your engine & the oil(s) that you're using. Just a curiosity, are all of the OCIs been with the same oil & filter?

Nagative. Same OEM Mazda Skyactiv specific oil filter but I've used all kinds of oils during my "curiosity testing"

Mobil 1 - 0w30
Mazda with Moly - 0w20
Mobil 1 - 0w40 / 0w20 @ 50/50 mix to custom blend a 0w30
Castrol Edge with Titanium - 0w20 & 5w20
Then I ran some Mobil 1 - 0w40 just for kicks and giggles
And now stuck on using up all my cheap IDIMITSU

The engine always seems quieter on thicker oil, especially cold start up where there's naturally lots of clicking and clanking. The custom Mobil 1 - 0w30 was nice, as far as I remember as well as straight up M1 0w40.

All UOAs were well within "the noise" and didn't show anything significant wear wise. Driving conditions were obviously all over the place with hot / cold months, etc.

The only one that really stood out was the M1 - custom 0w30 which had an extremely high TBN leftover. Definitely seems like a good extended drain blend if I ever did see one.... oh and it stayed in spec whereas others always sheared down out of spec wth my abusing driving and HOT conditions.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I also feel the need to comment on the fact that you're using a 20 weight oil AND drive it hard in the heat of Florida, and the UOAs always look great! So for those on here that feel that this "water thin oil" (their words not mine) can't handle the extremes, this is proof that it can. Kudos to you sir!
smile.gif

I'm curious, what will you run when your huge supply of this oil runs out?

Ha! I had to force myself to pour in the 0w20 for summer months. I was fine with it when it was cold (FL cold, mind you (32F+) LOL) but I usually run a tad thicker for the summer. I honestly just wanted to see if maybe the IDIMITSU will handle the heat and stay within spec after 3k miles. It seems to have done really well with a healthy TBN --> TAN ratio as well, which is what I want for this engine due to its Direct Injection design. I don't want even the slightest bit of varnish / carbon build up and I think by keeping TBN high, it will achieve this result.

I plan to pull the intake manifold soon (75k miles-ish) and inspect the intake valves to see how they're doing. Engine feels great so I can't imagine there's much carbon there, blocking air, or else it wouldn't run so good.

Perhaps the combination of good oil, Italian Tune-ups DAILY + tuned for 93 octane is burning up the fuel properly, like Mazda designed? Don't forget, this engine has higher compression ratio in Japan (14:1 vs our 13:1 in the States) and they have higher octane fuel as well. Who knows. Only time will tell. So far I haven't heard of any severe cases of carbon on the intake valves from the Skyactiv engine family.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Oil life monitor showed 60% remaining.

I have the oil safely stored in a clean jug. Waiting to see if a nice beater comes thru my shop that spec's 0w20 and I'll dump my used Black Oil into it for another 5,000 miles worth of use. I've done it many years ago with oil from my Civic Si. Poured it into a 2003 Honda Accord 2.4L and the results after both engines still showed oil life remaining. Hahaha. That was my way of not wasting expensive Amsoil.

Here's a Link for anyone interested.

Recycled Oil Experiment

I’m guessing the next guy gets free oil then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back