IDEMITSU 0w20 - 3,513mi - 2014 Mazda 3 - 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, free synthetic and I pay for the UOA as well. I usually promise them a new engine if my experiment fails but I'm fairly confident it won't, so it's a win for me. Worked with my neighbor back in the day with the 03 Accord. He didn't care one bit after he heard free synthetic oil. Lol.

Agreed. Lots of life left in the oil. I think 5k is do-able with TBN to spare. We shall see. This one 2007 Camry 2.4L with over 200,000 miles on it fits the bill for this used oil nicely. The owner should be texting for an oil change in a few weeks or so...

I "Could" but I won't. I get my oil super cheap and see no reason not to change it whenever I get bored and feel like slippin' and slidin' in some Lube. Haha.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
This oil sheared a lot from only 3.5K miles of beating. Virgin cST is 8.7.

TBN reduction is not linear to time or mileage, it’s more closely asymptotic or parabolic. In this application further testing at various mileage points would show where the break point lies but the OP won’t do the testing to find it-he’s happy to change it early and often-his motor and oil-his call.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
This oil sheared a lot from only 3.5K miles of beating. Virgin cST is 8.7.

The engine gets Redlined constantly, so I'm not surprised the oil is beaten up after only 3.5k. The car sees practically racing conditions daily but when given the chance, I hypermill like crazy to make up the MPG average from all the fuel burning done a minute ago. Hahaha. Seems to work out great. I get to beat on the car and enjoy EVERY SINGLE PONY (Horsepower) it has to offer while still average a respectable 27-29mpg to the tank. On road trips the car easily does 40mpg without trying hard.

I played around with different viscosities in the previous UOA in hopes of finding a blend that doesn't shear as much. A Frenkenbrew of Mobil 1 0w20 & 0w40 held up great.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Danno said:
Lotsa life left in that oil. Ever think of going to 5,000 or 6,000 mile OCI?

Oil life monitor showed 60% remaining.

I have the oil safely stored in a clean jug. Waiting to see if a nice beater comes thru my shop that spec's 0w20 and I'll dump my used Black Oil into it for another 5,000 miles worth of use. I've done it many years ago with oil from my Civic Si. Poured it into a 2003 Honda Accord 2.4L and the results after both engines still showed oil life remaining. Hahaha. That was my way of not wasting expensive Amsoil.

Here's a Link for anyone interested.

Recycled Oil Experiment [/quote

The world would be a better place if everyone did the same thing. Imagine the saving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back