Idea for "cool" intake cleaning administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking after reading the 3M thread, that some pioneering soul ought to rig up a setup like I have on my Deere tractors, where there is a solenoid that you put a can of ether into, push a button on the dash, and spray ether directly into the intake for starting on cold mornings like we had today (-6F).

But instead of putting a can of ether in it, put a can of aerosol intake cleaner, you could be humming down the road at 65, hit the button, and watch the black carp coming out on the road! (Or that tailgater's windshield!)

You can buy these electrical solenoid kits (includes solenoid, can holder, etc.) It just needs a positive lead and a ground on it, and a button or switch to activate. On mine there is a brass fitting that runs into the intake manifold, could easily be tapped and ran on an auto. Deere sells the whole setup for 68 bucks and I am sure you could buy them cheaper somewhere else.

You could be the envy of clean intake lovers everywhere.

Just a thought.
grin.gif

I like it. Is this an aftermarket part you purchase for the tractor? Is so maybe it can be adapted to a car.

It is an original equipment Deere part on some tractors. Some came with Thermostart (glow plugs) and some came with the electric ether aid. So instead of spraying starting fluid into the air intake, then wait for it to go thru the filter then 10 feet of hoses to get to the engine, it goes directly into the intake manifold, and the tractor will start immediately.

The bracket on my 2755 that holds the can on was not in good shape so I went to get a new one. Lo and behold thay only make a retrofit kit, so I had to buy it. It is the same as what is on the newer tractors. It was 68 dollar and included the solenoid, the can holder, etc.

All you would need is to get a couple of brass compression fittings, one to fit on the top of the solenoid, and one to screw into our intake manifold after you have tapped it. And a thin brass/plastic line to connect them. Then run a positive jumper from a live source of juice to your button/switch on the dash and then back to the top of the solenoid. The other connector on the solenoid runs to ground, and you should be set. It wouldn't even take up much room, you could mount it right alongside the engine on the sidewall or something.

I wonder if you could get a can of something that would boost horsepower on a breif WOT run? Sort of like a poor mans nitrous setup.

Well ether might do it, just be careful not to overrev the engine. If I push the button down while tractor is running she revs up pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back