I watched a show on youtube on growing up in past time periods vs today....

Were the 70's that great? It seems like there were a lot of airline hijackings, serial killers and child abductions. Unable to buy gasoline, disco music, doesn't sound like a good time to me.
Cherry picking data can be done both positive and negative. Airline hijackings used to be a fun thought when flying to Miami, if you got hijacked you got to visit Cuba and maybe get put up in a hotel.
No one ever got hurt.
The other things you mentioned are far worse today. Good god, serial killers? They still exist but you also now have events like Newtown, CT Let’s not forget 9/11

Yes, the 70s were that great for many and believe the posts in here who experienced those years. Life today? It’s shallow for so many young people.
Phony, fake pop tarts strutting their stuff on tic tock actually think people give a rat about them, hey it’s fun to lol at though, boys and girls dating and breaking up with text messaging unable to face each other. Twitter. Peoples lives so boring they follow other people on twitter and admire them.

The sad part of those times were those who in the 60s lost their lives in Vietnam.

Last edited:
I grew up during the same time. Without getting booted from the forum and going on a rant, I'll end it with saying it was a better safer time.
In that timeframe
My 16 year old father went in a restaurant to get a soda and had the local cop in the restaurant hold a sawed off shotgun to his head because my father worked 80 hours a week (from age 14) to buy a new but very cheap car and the cop said he stole it.

Big man made my father cry then had a laugh with friends and let him go.

My grandfather heard about it and had to go disarm and lift the guy off his feet to provide some common sense to the local.

In the UP you had to solve your own problems because you had to deal with corruption and little dictators.

I’m uncertain that we can say things were “safer” just that they were different and you got BS From different directions and we’re both expected and allowed to solve problems on your own

That said, nobody got shot but my father and Grandfather never carried a weapon despite occasionally having to kill an attack dog or dealing with others being armed and antagonizing them.
My father managed to skirt death many times at home and during nam
with only a few missing fingers but a broken back, damaged shoulder and neck from other’s stupidity eventually took him out.

Last edited:
As I near retirement, I don't believe things were better back then.

However, I am thankful to have existed during this modern time span, with wonderful music everywhere, dirt bikes, airplanes, boats and ENGINES! What fun! Good God it's been a blast!

I can only posthumously thank all the prior generations for all they've done, making all of this possible.

A pic of my fav dirt bike:
(the last new one in existence, the mighty IT490)

nYWTCbq.jpg

In that timeframe
My 16 year old father went in a restaurant to get a soda and had the local cop in the restaurant hold a sawed off shotgun to his head because my father worked 80 hours a week (from age 14) to buy a new but very cheap car and the cop said he stole it.

Big man made my father cry then had a laugh with friends and let him go.

My grandfather heard about it and had to go disarm and lift the guy off his feet to provide some common sense to the local.

In the UP you had to solve your own problems because you had to deal with corruption and little dictators.

I’m uncertain that we can say things were “safer” just that they were different and you got BS From different directions and we’re both expected and allowed to solve problems on your own
An a-hole is an a-hole, but that doesn't mean everyone is an a-hole. Where I grew up we had bad cops, they were far and few. For the most part they did their job, now they stand down, catch and release, or look the other way. The streets have ten times more dangerous drug crazed loonies than they had back when I grew up. Crime is worse, and there are more violent crimes, the stats prove it. I don't blame the police, I blame the higher ups. In fact I feel bad for the police, their hands are tied here.

Cherry picking data can be done both positive and negative. Airline hijackings used to be a fun thought when flying to Miami, if you got hijacked you got to visit Cuba and maybe get put up in a hotel.
No one ever got hurt.
The other things you mentioned are far worse today. Good god, serial killers? They still exist but you also now have events like Newtown, CT Let’s not forget 9/11

Yes, the 70s were that great for many and believe the posts in here who experienced those years. Life today? It’s shallow for so many young people.
Phony, fake pop tarts strutting their stuff on tic tock actually think people give a rat about them, hey it’s fun to lol at though, boys and girls dating and breaking up with text messaging unable to face each other. Twitter. Peoples lives so boring they follow other people on twitter and admire them.

The sad part of those times were those who in the 60s lost their lives in Vietnam.
Well said!

Unless you lived near a Dupont factory where they were knowingly discharging truckloads of carcinogens into the Ohio river.

That is why the corporations off shored their factories to China etc so they could dischage their wastes into the rivers and oceans.

Unless you lived near a Dupont factory where they were knowingly discharging truckloads of carcinogens into the Ohio river.

Yeah, in the early 70's, the local GE plant had guys making cable with no masks covered in asbestos fluff everyday, at one end of the building, and guys washing their hands in PCB's before lunch at the other end... Lots of those guys my Dad worked with haven't made it to their 70's unfortunately.
I grew up in the 80's and 90's can't complain, it was a fine to be part of the dawn of the home computer era, but my parents also let me drive around the countryside on a dirtbike...

I was born in 1966, my childhood was great.
I was born 10 years before that and except for a ruptured appendix in the 4th grade so severe an infection they didn’t know if I was going to live for a couple weeks I wouldn’t change growing up in those times for anything.

Medicine was the dark ages then, but they did good, the smell of rubbing alcohol burned into my brain as I lay semi conscious as they covered my body head to toe with towels that were rotated, soaked in bins of rubbing alcohol filled with ice cubes trying to bring down my body temperature.
Injected with so many shots of whatever antibiotic my skin developed welts. Our church pastor would visit me regularly. I to this day can’t believe how I somehow remember so much.
Ohhh and my mom, like clockwork the second visiting hours started she was walking through my room door. I learned decades later the doctor told her “only god knows” if I was going to live.

Wow! Truly a time where you stood on your own two feet. Sink or swim and you strived to do your best, no participation awards and if you did terrible at something you moved onto something else that you were good at.

Everything was real, ohhh the music, it just happened organically.

The schools taught what mattered, skills to land a job or go to college, not the current social skills and programming of what is right or wrong, that was parents job #1

These reigns I feel have been handed off to other countries as we rapidly lost our edge as a nation of coddled individuals.

Last edited:
My gf was born Nov 66. She and I were talking last Sat night how wonderful being a kid in the 70s was👍
November of 52 here. Modern conveniences are making life easier. And the cars all run much more dependably with less attention, and last longer. But back then life was simple and good.

Families spent time actually talking to each other. And not with their faces buried in a little screen...... Except for a 21" black & white TV for a few hours after dinner. And yes, we really did go to the Moon 9 times over half a century ago.

Back