I watched a show on youtube on growing up in past time periods vs today....

Heck I actually had the mumps as a kid. I was maybe 3 or 4. If I can find the picture of me with it, I’ll post it:D I look miserable clutching on to my favorite stuffed animal haha!

Human nature doesn't change in one generation. Olden times were just as screwed up as now. Back then if something happened in Podunk Kentucky it wasn't reported anywhere else but in local papers. Now days a child disappearance or a police car chase becomes national news giving a perception society has collapsed while that's always happened

Born in 59. I mowed the lawn and shoveled snow for 2 years to buy my first car. I worked as an auto mechanic for three years in high school and college to pay my way. No cell phones or vcr's for me. I worked hard and had cheap clothes and shoes and was thrilled when I could buy any tools at ace hardware as sears tools were too expensive for me.
I was making 2.30 an hour working as an auto mechanic doing brakes and batteries and tires and tune ups. Gas went to 50 cents a gallon and i was barely able to afford it.
People were men or women and nobody wanted to change genders. Parents were respected. And school was not missed. There were no computers or cd's or digital anything. It was a better time to grow up and people were less stressed and they were happier from what I could tell.
Way fewer crazy people or people on psych meds. The most messed up kids could get was to drink too many beers or some cheap wine.
Guns were in every house of every friend and shootings or murders were just not in existance.

I grew up during the same time. Without getting booted from the forum and going on a rant, I'll end it with saying it was a better safer time.
Same here. I was born in the early 50's. I would not want to be in my 20's today, with all of the insanity going on in this country.

And I have a very bad feeling that it's going to get a hell of a lot worse, before it gets any better.... If it ever does.

Were the 70's that great? It seems like there were a lot of airline hijackings, serial killers and child abductions. Unable to buy gasoline, disco music, doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Were the 70's that great? It seems like there were a lot of airline hijackings, serial killers and child abductions. Unable to buy gasoline, disco music, doesn't sound like a good time to me.

The 70’s were tougher for sure but television news was a 30 minute broadcast in the evening compared to the 24/7 we have now.

In the 50’s and 60’s a kids biggest fear was if Mom was going to cook meatloaf or something we didn’t like. In those days if you didn’t like the food then that was tough.

Yes and no.

The connection between productivity and wages wasn't yet broken.

You could actually disconnect and were free from cell phones, pagers and email that the 80's brought that always keeps you working.

News didnt have the level of bias it does today and was much more limited in terms of it being in your face.

You could drive across the country and see something new.

Today's modern technological advances in medicine are all great. As is purchasing things with the click of a mouse. The cars today are better than ever. But society as a whole has degraded horribly. We've always had crime, but we respected cops. Because we knew without them we would have anarchy. Today they're despised, spat on, and defunded.

Kids were skinny, and told to eat more at dinner. Now half of them are obese and diabetic, because they don't move a muscle all day. Except to use a game controller.

Mothers always cooked a healthy meal for dinner. And everyone sat down together to eat it, and discuss their day. And the kids talked about what they learned. Today it's, "Get the door, it's Dominos!"

Sheer lunacy. The public school system has been hijacked. Teachers used to encourage parents to join the PTA, and wanted their input.... Now they want them removed from the room and arrested if they comment with any negativity on the curriculum. Regardless of how perverted it is.

Third grade sex education? Seriously? Boys in girls bathrooms. And playing girls sports. I still don't get this whole "gender pronoun" thing.... And I don't want to. Everytime I say this country can't possibly get any crazier, I am proven wrong.

If someone would have told me when I graduated high school back in 1970, that I would be retiring in a society as insane as this, I would have laughed at them. Yet here we are.

Today's modern technological advances in medicine are all great. As is purchasing things with the click of a mouse. The cars today are better than ever. But society as a whole has degraded horribly. We've always had crime, but we respected cops. Because we knew without them we would have anarchy. Today they're despised, spat on, and defunded.

Kids were skinny, and told to eat more at dinner. Now half of them are obese and diabetic, because they don't move a muscle all day. Except to use a game controller.

Mothers always cooked a healthy meal for dinner. And everyone sat down together to eat it, and discuss their day. And the kids talked about what they learned. Today it's, "Get the door, it's Dominos!"

Sheer lunacy. The public school system has been hijacked. Teachers used to encourage parents to join the PTA, and wanted their input.... Now they want them removed from the room and arrested if they comment with any negativity on the curriculum. Regardless of how perverted it is.

Third grade sex education? Seriously? Boys in girls bathrooms. And playing girls sports. I still don't get this whole "gender pronoun" thing.... And I don't want to. Everytime I say this country can't possibly get any crazier, I am proven wrong.

If someone would have told me when I graduated high school back in 1970, that I would be retiring in a society as insane as this, I would have laughed at them. Yet here we are.

👏🏻 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Spot on.

Every generation and timeframe has its ups and downs. Psychology teaches us that we forget the rough times to mentally protect ourselves.
I will say we had the Doors, Stones, Hendrix, etc. It don't get much better.

Last edited:
I grew up where I remembered in 1980’s. Born in 1972.

We definitely roamed far by bike and parents would drop me off at ski area every weekend with friends starting third grade.

My parents did not always know where we were but had trust we’d come back. I think wonderful times.

The lack of instant information like now via internet left a filtered versioned of reality out there in 70’s - mid 90’s. Newspapers and tv could report so much but you would not here about some terrible thing across the country. I think people got away with a lot more then as hiding / disappearing was easier. Now you know instantly but distortions of truth.

There are pros to now and cons just like there was then.

I lol because your generation raised the folks who changed things up and way things became. You separate yourself as generation and take no ownership for your children or your children raising kids after etc.

I lol because your generation raised the folks who changed things up and way things became. You separate yourself as generation and take no ownership for your children or your children raising kids after etc.

A lot of this change originated in the schools. Teaching kids to be independent from their parents. We started to see kids call their parents by their first names, not Mom and Dad.

Instead of educating the system turned to indoctrination.

When I was going to grade school we were graded on Deportment. Most kids today will have no idea what that means.

I was born in 1969, so I was a 70s kid too. The 70s was the best decade ever!!👍 Imo things began to go to Hell in a hand basket in the late 80s.
Born in 53, 60's 70's and the 80's were the best time of my life, no internet no cell phones. to me the 90's started the fall of music as we know it. :poop:

First off you are talking about 2 full generations between my generation and kids today. As Ronald Reagan once said, "Freedom is only one generation away from extinction". As it turns out he wasn't very far off.

In every generation you have parents who have no business being parents. It has always been like that. Today you simply have a lot more of them. You're seeing the result of that.

But far more importantly, when my generation went to school, we were taught to question everything. We even got better grades if we did. Teachers listened as much as they talked.

Back then you were taught HOW to think. Today you are taught WHAT to think. Try giving a teacher or a professor an opposing view in a high school or college today. At best you'll fail. At worst you'll be kicked out of the class, and considered, "disruptive".

It is no longer education. But rather indoctrination. Kids graduate today with their heads pumped full of crap. And they don't question any of it.

A lot of this change originated in the schools. Teaching kids to be independent from their parents. We started to see kids call their parents by their first names, not Mom and Dad.

Instead of educating the system turned to indoctrination.

When I was going to grade school we were graded on Deportment. Most kids today will have no idea what that means.
Turn off fox.

First off you are talking about 2 full generations between my generation and kids today. As Ronald Reagan once said, "Freedom is only one generation away from extinction". As it turns out he wasn't very far off.

In every generation you have parents who have no business being parents. It has always been like that. Today you simply have a lot more of them. You're seeing the result of that.

But far more importantly, when my generation went to school, we were taught to question everything. We even got better grades if we did. Teachers listened as much as they talked.

Back then you were taught HOW to think. Today you are taught WHAT to think. Try giving a teacher or a professor an opposing view in a high school or college today. At best you'll fail. At worst you'll be kicked out of the class, and considered, "disruptive".

It is no longer education. But rather indoctrination. Kids graduate today with their heads pumped full of crap. And they don't question any of it.
You have no idea what happens at college or school , just select examples that rile up people and give perception all of them do that.

Back