I was thinking earlier, I wonder which were the last of the "Made in Japan" Japanese cars, by year make, and model?

Which were the last of the "Made in Japan" Japanese cars, by year make, and model, before they shifted production to the US?

It's still unknown about the 2024's, but the 2023 4Runner will be made in Japan.
I loved my MIJ 2005 CR-V. Minus the slightly slipping transmission at 284k, every button and everything worked fine when I traded it.

2012 Suzuki made in Japan
2014 Mitsubishi also made in Japan
Wait, you have a 2012 Kizashi and a 2014 Outlander?

If the former is a stick and the later is a GT model... you win the BITOG award!

If not there is a punch bowl filled with pretzels that is off to the side. Seriously. Kudos on hitting the bullseye when nobody is looking.

About half of Subarus for the North American Market are still made in Japan. They only have two factories, one in Japan and one in the US.
Way off topic, but last I checked US market was there largest market, and by a long shot as well - like double the next market they serve.

Nothing magical about a vehicle assembled in Japan, I've purchased new vehicles assembled in Germany, Japan, Mexico, US and Canada and never had an assembly related issue.

My last 2 new vehicles (2016 WRX, 2021 4Runner) were built in Japan.

It absolutely makes a big difference.

Also had a 1990 Accord back in the early 2000s. IMHO that era was the peak of Honda quality.

The next generation Accord (94+) was not made as well. It was cheapened.

My 02 Infiniti QX4 and its corporate cousin, the R50 Pathfinder were made in Japan until 2003 and 2004 respectively. Pathfinders started being manufactured at Symrna, TN starting in 2005 as part of the model change to the R51 series.

Nothing magical about a vehicle assembled in Japan, I've purchased new vehicles assembled in Germany, Japan, Mexico, US and Canada and never had an assembly related issue.
There are documented (albeit small) quality differences on the RX forums between the Japanese and Canadian VINs. Think rattles, panel gaps, etc.
Finding out that the RX I used to own was a J vin was a bonus...I wouldn't have turned it down if it was built up north but happy nontheless.

Acura’s are made in Ohio, only the NSX is made in Japan.
Honda/Acura has multiple US plants...my MDX was made in Lincoln, AL.

Various Acura and Lexus models have been made outside of Japan for a while now, some of course are still J vins. Infiniti's only model not made in Japan is the QX-60 (Smyrna plant)

The Corolla mostly come from Japan now, CUV’s are the thing. The days are numbered for sedans in the US.
The hybrid Corolla is from Japan. Most of the ones I see are made in Canada(TMMC) or Mississippi(TMMM). There was rumor Toyota wanted to build the Corolla in Mexico, but most Tacomas are built at TMMBC.

Not sure about every Acura model, but many are built in the US (and/or Canada) on the same assembly lines that their Honda counterparts are made. Even the Acura NSX is made in the US (in Ohio).
All Acuras except for the RLX are made in Ohio. RLX comes from Honda’s Saitama plant.

Back