I want to like Tesla...but...

Why would I stop playing music to adjust such simple task?
the point is unnecessary complications of such simple tasks where customer gets impressed with absolutely unnecessary functions.

And by the way, numerous cars with such easy controls have ALSO voice controls or bunch of gesture controls.

Which beings us back to cost cutting everything in Tesla. Sold expensively, cheaply made.
Their batteries, electronics, and motors are excellent. The rest of the car is enough to offset that for many potential customers.

There is a learning curve to Teslas, especially the voice commands. Once you get familiar with them, using the touch screen is a rare task, in my experience. The menus do keep changing (can be confusing) and new natural language voice commands are added via OTA updates. Some small and some big.

Saving production cost is generally a good thing, but not at the expense of safety. Tesla's real cost saving is with Giga Press (400 robots removed from mfg line and less part complexity) and other advanced manufacturing, vertical integration and more. Speed and efficiency are the real enablers to lowered costs.
Good god man no offence but just go and become a Tesla salesman. This is crap about a learning curve to drive a Tesla car is nonsense, this is a learning curve. Throw to TV screen out and get some knobs and buttons in there.

mog shifters.jpg

LOL! Awesome!! Me I don't want to like a Tesla. I do like Elon though!
I find it hilarious that he is such a lightning rod for differing ideologies. What I find even more telling is the people who disliked him prior to buying Twitter seem much more fond of him now, and those who liked him prior to his becoming political, dislike him now, by and large if you look at those who "shifted allegiances". It just goes to show that pleasing people is stupid. They don't care about you.

I find it hilarious that he is such a lightning rod for differing ideologies. What I find even more telling is the people who disliked him prior to buying Twitter seem much more fond of him now, and those who liked him prior to his becoming political, dislike him now, by and large if you look at those who "shifted allegiances". It just goes to show that pleasing people is stupid. They don't care about you.
His Twitter purchase didn't impact me, although I do think his money could have been better spent elsewhere, but.......... As far as caring about me, you're right, but I really don't care about them either. They/them is that woke talk? LOL I'm old, I'm still trying to figure that non-sense out.

I personally like the guy, pretty much says what is on his mind and no doubt he is successful. (No politics) I truly believe he cares about this country too.
In less than 5 years all the Tesla talk in this forum will be replaced by EVs in general. It's easy to attack the leader but as others climb onboard everyone will be fair game and we will have a dozen car companies vying for the publics dollar, its just a car.

I think, in forums and car talk, we have had one EV car company AND the whole notion of even owning EV cars to debate which adds to A LOT of debate. Meaning we arent talking about just a car company, we are also talking about EV acceptability in general.

All this stuff will subside and the conversation will shift to normal EV car talk of multiple brands. The deniers will realize they do serve a purpose for a segment of the population and the proponents will understand that current EV technology will not serve a purpose for a segment of the population until the day comes that a car can be recharged as fast as a tank of gas can be filled. Such as a new battery type or no battery at all and the use of h2 meaning the car will generate its own electricity.

So ends words of wisdom for the day ... ;)

Here's another reason why I don't like a Tesla: Insurance. Anyone factor this in?
I just read this. Are you telling me that this master of secret plans just realized that parts design has an impact on cost of repairs?
Fast forward few months from now: “no one understood until Musk came up with this idea, but part design has impact on cost.”

Good god man no offence but just go and become a Tesla salesman. This is crap about a learning curve to drive a Tesla car is nonsense, this is a learning curve. Throw to TV screen out and get some knobs and buttons in there.

View attachment 137422
While basic driving functionality is the same, these cars are different. Tesla is not trying to be like other cars. If you want knobs, don't shop a Tesla.
If you are change adverse, a Tesla is probably not a good car for you. Change is the only constant; for example the screen has changed numerous times since we got the car. Even Tesla owners complain about this. Personally I like it, but I do have to refamiliarize myself from time to time.
I can tell you many people find our car too different, specifically the touchscreen interface. Speaking to the car via voice commands is not for everyone. Going through a car wash can be a daunting task due to all the automation. I seriously doubt my parents could have driven my car without through instruction.

Your comparison to the vehicle above is hardly apples to apples. To your point, you need a specific license to operate that vehicle. That's a steep learning curve.
@Trav, no offense taken. I am in awe of your considerable knowledge and respect your opinions. People join BITOG have a shared interest in vehicles and probably a deeper understanding of them. Not everyone is that way.

If you are ever in Silicon Valley, I would invite you to come over, take a drive, talk, whatever.

It's not that I, and others, are adverse to change. It's just that sometimes change is made without regards to studying what works and has been proven over the last 80 years or so. And I am referring to driver's controls and functions.
I am reminded of my working years whenever a boss announced a big change was coming and proclaimed the trite old expression "change is always good". That pretty much meant it wouldn't be and the boss wasn't the one to be affected by it.

I understand Tesla's mission to be different, high tech, have a lot of "wow factor" and appeal to a generation that grew up playing video games. But I also think they missed the mark in a lot of ways. I'd be curious if their engineers studied hundreds of previous designs first or were just giddy with the thought of starting with a clean slate and proceeded at will.

Having that huge screen in the middle of the dash looks ludicrous. They should have proceeded by studying what the optimum size is for navigation, which is where the driver needs to see something at a glance without squinting and then gone a different route to display everything else that is currently available on that big-a** monitor.

It's not that I, and others, are adverse to change. It's just that sometimes change is made without regards to studying what works and has been proven over the last 80 years or so. And I am referring to driver's controls and functions.
I am reminded of my working years whenever a boss announced a big change was coming and proclaimed the trite old expression "change is always good". That pretty much meant it wouldn't be and the boss wasn't the one to be affected by it.

I understand Tesla's mission to be different, high tech, have a lot of "wow factor" and appeal to a generation that grew up playing video games. But I also think they missed the mark in a lot of ways. I'd be curious if their engineers studied hundreds of previous designs first or were just giddy with the thought of starting with a clean slate and proceeded at will.

Having that huge screen in the middle of the dash looks ludicrous. They should have proceeded by studying what the optimum size is for navigation, which is where the driver needs to see something at a glance without squinting and then gone a different route to display everything else that is currently available on that big-a** monitor.
Agreed, and the lack of a HUD is mind blowing. Driving a modern bimmer or benz, you've got your important info right on the windshield. They also still have physical buttons for many functions that people typically want physical buttons for:
BMW-i4-M50-interior-1-2048x1448.jpg

We have to admit, Elon puts himself "out there" and creates controversy. All is fair if you are going to constantly expose yourself like that.
I hate Amazon but I will buy at the right price and I dont have to listen to BOZO all day long.
As far as Apple, why would someone have something against them, there isnt a more straight up cell phone maker than them.

BTW- I have nothing against Elon, if I was an investor I would wish he would tone it down and run the company. Kind of like I felt about the last President.

Heck someday the investors might kick him out. He is just a CEO, he doesnt own Tesla, the shareholders do. They pay him to run the company.
Why would anyone have anything against Apple? How about "right to repair". Apple doesn't believe you own your device. It's a throwaway piece of e waste because they want to sell you a new one.

While basic driving functionality is the same, these cars are different. Tesla is not trying to be like other cars. If you want knobs, don't shop a Tesla.
If you are change adverse, a Tesla is probably not a good car for you. Change is the only constant; for example the screen has changed numerous times since we got the car. Even Tesla owners complain about this. Personally I like it, but I do have to refamiliarize myself from time to time.
I can tell you many people find our car too different, specifically the touchscreen interface. Speaking to the car via voice commands is not for everyone. Going through a car wash can be a daunting task due to all the automation. I seriously doubt my parents could have driven my car without through instruction.

Your comparison to the vehicle above is hardly apples to apples. To your point, you need a specific license to operate that vehicle. That's a steep learning curve.
@Trav, no offense taken. I am in awe of your considerable knowledge and respect your opinions. People join BITOG have a shared interest in vehicles and probably a deeper understanding of them. Not everyone is that way.

If you are ever in Silicon Valley, I would invite you to come over, take a drive, talk, whatever.
You don't need a special license to drive a smaller Unimog. The Models S I drove was no learning curve at all just like any other vehicle you are not familiar with, if fact it was one of the easiest to drive cars I ever drove, the tv screen is a distraction though.

Agreed, and the lack of a HUD is mind blowing. Driving a modern bimmer or benz, you've got your important info right on the windshield. They also still have physical buttons for many functions that people typically want physical buttons for:
BMW-i4-M50-interior-1-2048x1448.jpg
I've posted Tesla's lack of HUD and BSM is a problem; our RX will spoil you. However, I am now wavering. I don't drive the Model 3 that much; I got it for wifey and we do have more cars than drivers. I took a nice spin yesterday, and realized the screen, just to the right of your right hand has so much to offer. Once you are used to it, it becomes part of your periphreal vision. The top corner gives you speed, then speed limit and AP speed if you are using it. HUD location is windshield driver bottom; Model 3 is located immeadiate right bottom windshield.
The cameras give you real time BSM all around. I ran a little test and compared checking the rear view mirror vs the screen. You have to focus and comprehend the rear view mirror; sure it is very little time but is more of a distraction. The right side mirror takes longer yet and is definitely more of a distraction.
A vehicle behind me would be displayed. Is this better, than say the BMW dash you displayed? Which dash is more busy? Complicated? They are definitely different, we can agree on that. I am starting to appreciate the Tesla functionality more and more. By the way, if you wanted to adjust the temp (not using the voice command) you simply tap the bottom of the screen, left or right of the "71". With a little familiarity, you may not need to look; your thumb does the trick.
2IMey2PgrpfT4B3NNpgC-N0Z09o8FfwbuIPJudab0_EudX8XxoHpJ5GyB5n8Uf5qvzpMXduhi5qgqwwk9jz-MDZFJGI5qMyydfKMvdZj2ZP8zl3XgS6-ENK3m-2WC9fPccoXD8owRCV7x7a7JHR-fz0sRtzGSdHlAOQ7hxCY2MqYDbZYqCf_fdYvHLg1aqWUCvJJv63enqR2WSXG6l7mNb6wxAtMnfmj9pB5I57nSsMiI0iLHM66HzHHlgbiA7mnHf9I2-idtzqPNC7cIH-j9ofd4l92JcOBNkhTQlnhcDuMrIg7hNx5AwoIP5WRvniqfDPPleeRvsd0ZInqkdo8LDea14uxSqVFyCeMTtdfVKqrNRs04AQ2Qu5Ox-21bvehqWrdqSB8IErGPBvLuSbXoMH7g_DdtUFHHaIZtq90_j6F2AU7Q5lsOrPpQSnLJ5TPxU46SHPoDnEtjWOFRjxU4RoaRVnkhSJ5a-lp4O2XV_2HMAume52yvZmpM0GQErAhTKgLe8jdIQ09Sd41pHfR3PUcUWp9NlJUToUI7KVaWAF9tvfkwkrxjgY7VY2Q9mO-zv5ExAcjNxVYzRcR1EvVAqZQJG0WQDGjI21GkP8j1rvNhF_sjFlwdwc-jwGxVN6Dk61XNvwgywUsNDEZoVlVmLI9Lj0dMFZ_ObKS9p2vIatqfui2jle9edHmFakJcbW23qseO5I9MGwwWJjOE5CMA047osxVkpCRE35Yw1RQmZnk7IbM8JZSYUDHGw8g6YoV8uSuuVLsGhstIWYxBzn_cCoVYLc7RJnqkbVtF_OHYs98hxHzTAN7FZ1NwTcx-zffd8DkSySopOD9WWj9NcR_MWKC85de2f0d-zxuVXRvps4D_2Xe_janW7R8Ham4uKyR9r--IabiR0SPIkiEOlL5jhNNu344JtWx8YGavM_Kf88TNwEv=w671-h893-no

Last edited:
Agreed, and the lack of a HUD is mind blowing. Driving a modern bimmer or benz, you've got your important info right on the windshield.
Having bought a MB recently with an augmented reality HUD, I will never buy a car again without that feature. Same with how the airplane HUDs have progressed. I don't see any of the military or commercial pilots saying please don't change and I don't want to use it.

Back