I want to like Tesla...but...

Not at all, they were quite upset about it.
However Wall Street MIGHT be happy about it. Some analysts are saying it might create a spike in iPhone sales next year from people who wish for the new "standard USB-C" in phones.
Thanks for the update on Sept 2024 I just wrongly assumed it would be the start of 2024.

Not at all, they were quite upset about it. Just read what Apple had to say about it in quotes at the end of the story in CNBC.
However Wall Street MIGHT be happy about it. Some analysts are saying it might create a spike in iPhone sales next year from people who wish for the new "standard USB-C" in phones. I suspect it might be good for Apple sales, maybe not for the consumer if they cant get the same kind of waterproofing from the USB-C in the iPhone 15 production time frame to be in compliance with the law.

I dont know about you saying Sept 2024, it's not what I am reading but either way it's done. I suspect the new phones that come out in Sept 2023 will have to have the new USB-C.

I suspect this will be the start of (no politics please just fact) the EU governing how products are to be made. They are already looking at Mag Safe standards according to the story. I suspect the charge and data ports will one day be a thing of the past at this point.
That article is outdated. Dec 2024 is when their products have to come into compliance. They can choose to add in USB-C early though, to get their sales figures up (Iphone 14 repackaging wasnt the best idea) and give folks a reason to finally upgrade up. The hot take for 14 was esim and Always on Display.

They are upset because they loose that sweet 10% licensing fee. Customers who own iPads, Macbooks, and other USB-C devices (basically everything e-device) can rejoice. One cable - seamless charging. The only customers who are going to be annoyed, are the ones as you mentioned "dont want to pay for their product" and still have lightening ports.

Where did you hear USB-C devices are not waterproof?

That article is outdated. Dec 2024 is when their products have to come into compliance. They can choose to add in USB-C early though, to get their sales figures up (Iphone 14 repackaging wasnt the best idea) and give folks a reason to finally upgrade up. The hot take for 14 was esim and Always on Display.

They are upset because they loose that sweet 10% licensing fee. Customers who own iPads, Macbooks, and other USB-C devices (basically everything e-device) can rejoice. One cable - seamless charging. The only customers who are going to be annoyed, are the ones as you mentioned "dont want to pay for their product" and still have lightening ports.

Where did you hear USB-C devices are not waterproof?
Thanks for the update, though it would have helped if you posted the link but I found it. :unsure:
I dont think I said USB-C devices are not waterproof. In one of the links I provided I think there was a reference that Apple MAY have concerns, Im not sure if other phones with USB-C are water resistant to 18 feet as a standard, Im sure they will figure it out though.
and honestly it doesnt interest me if other companies products are, after all they all chase each other to match up features.

Also I could care less if it's about as you say licensing fee and have no interest in going into it. ;)
Clearly Americans who can afford it, prefer iPhones above all others combined in the USA which is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Also I could care less if it's about as you say licensing fee and have no interest in going into it. Clearly Americans who can afford it, prefer iPhones above all others combined in the USA which is absolutely amazing.
It's just a phone; anyone can make a phone. Pretty soon Apple will have all kinds of competition and they will just be another phone.
Wait... There are hundreds of cell phones on the market... I guess that logic may be suspect?

All good @alarmguy Just a little fun. Go 9ers!

Thanks for the update, though it would have helped if you posted the link but I found it. :unsure:
I dont think I said USB-C devices are not waterproof. In one of the links I provided I think there was a reference that Apple MAY have concerns, Im not sure if other phones with USB-C are water resistant to 18 feet as a standard, Im sure they will figure it out though.
and honestly it doesnt interest me if other companies products are, after all they all chase each other to match up features.

Also I could care less if it's about as you say licensing fee and have no interest in going into it. ;)
Clearly Americans who can afford it, prefer iPhones above all others combined in the USA which is absolutely amazing.
My apologizes I'll provide some primary sources next time we need to clear up the F.U.D surrounding USB-C and Apple ;)

So about Tesla, i hear wait times to generate a VIN are up again.

My apologizes I'll provide some primary sources next time we need to clear up the F.U.D surrounding USB-C and Apple ;)

So about Tesla, i hear wait times to generate a VIN are up again.
I am waiting for the Model 3 Highland Project, which is named after the old Ford Highland Park plant where Henry Ford started making his cars on an assembly line and made use of interchangable parts. The cost and time to manufacture vehicles was slashed and made Ford made history.

Supposedly Tesla is instituting factory changes that will further reduce mfg cost and time, as well as refreshing the Model 3 with everything they have learned. This will also prepare for the Model 2, or whatever they call it. I want the Giga Press structure.

I am waiting for the Model 3 Highland Project, which is named after the old Ford Highland Park plant where Henry Ford started making his cars on an assembly line and made use of interchangable parts. The cost and time to manufacture vehicles was slashed and made Ford made history.

Supposedly Tesla is instituting factory changes that will further reduce mfg cost and time, as well as refreshing the Model 3 with everything they have learned. This will also prepare for the Model 2, or whatever they call it. I want the Giga Press structure.
I wonder why they arent going after their biggest cost anchor, batteries? They launched the 4680, and I think Austin is using it, but we havent heard much more about it, unlike pre-launch where experts couldnt stop bumbling cost reduction prediction in the figure of 50%+. Only battery news at least making some noise is LG might be ready to supply them as well.

I wonder why they arent going after their biggest cost anchor, batteries? They launched the 4680, and I think Austin is using it, but we havent heard much more about it, unlike pre-launch where experts couldnt stop bumbling cost reduction prediction in the figure of 50%+. Only battery news at least making some noise is LG might be ready to supply them as well.
The 4680s didnt really do what they claimed as I understand it. Range increases etc fell flat.

They are using less cells then before per car. So shouldnt that equate to some sort of cost savings?

It does - and they lowered the price a bit last year for "standard range" models using them.

What you cant seem to get is a a full tray of them yet.

Tesla just got volume to a workable level in December so we haven't seen what the long range version fo eth car can deliver or what kind of charge speeds it can maintain.

Tesla Owner Tweets at Elon Musk After Model Y "Steering Wheel Falls Off" While Driving

N=1 of course, but dang....Less moving parts, less complex, and they only spend 40 seconds to build, how are these kind of flaws still making the news, but more importantly getting allowed off the production line?

Tesla Owner Tweets at Elon Musk After Model Y "Steering Wheel Falls Off" While Driving

N=1 of course, but dang....Less moving parts, less complex, and they only spend 40 seconds to build, how are these kind of flaws still making the news, but more importantly getting allowed off the production line?
It happens.

Ford recalled 1.3M vehicles for steering wheels potentially falling off.

Rivian had the same problem

It happens.

Ford recalled 1.3M vehicles for steering wheels potentially falling off.

Rivian had the same problem

But one is an ICE thats inherently more complex and unreliable, and the other is a startup which needs to hone its car building skills.
(not being sarcastic here)

Tesla moves at the speed of thought and has a lot of mfgin experience withe EVs, their QC team should be the finest in the biz.

Didn't the Toyota EV's wheels fall off?
Regardless, I will go see if the steering wheel is still on our car! Thanks for the heads up!

I like Tesla, I like BMW / Mercedes too, but I do not want to own any of them because I want to own something I don't want to think about, know they are boring and reliable, and efficient, slightly behind in tech is ok as I value reliability and stability like what I found in Prius. I will buy the Prius equivalent of Tesla in a few years, that's ok with me.

My household says no to BMW, Mercedes, Tesla today, I'm fair. We end up with Lexus and Toyota and Mazda instead (the boring ones like Mazda 2 and Mazda 5). So far they have been very reliable and nothing gone wrong other than some well known small problems. I can't say the same about Mercedes or Tesla or BMW, I am not feeling lucky. If you do good for you.

I have nothing against EV, I love them, just don't want to pay for one yet.

Didn't the Toyota EV's wheels fall off?
Regardless, I will go see if the steering wheel is still on our car! Thanks for the heads up!
That was beyond embarrassing for Toyota, but I suspect a good PR/save face move from them to with the abysmal media day results. RZ was suppose to simultaneously launch as well, and that quietly has been forgotten as well from mysteriously.

Back