I want to like Tesla...but...

Ws6

How are you Tesla owners getting over the build quality of these things? This is a promo video Tesla put out 96 hours ago. Please notice the home depot trim at 1:40. Then you have them using large brake covers to hide that the MYP has the same rear brakes as the base model. The list goes on, but these are recent examples of cost cutting that the customer can touch/see. What goes on that you can't? How is this "okay" for $50-70k? What led you to buy a Tesla when other options from established manufacturers exist?

I will never buy a Tesla. Why? 2 words: Elon Musk. IMHO Musk is a jackazz. Also, Tesla's have poor fit and finish, and require software updates to fix stuff. I've owned BMWs almost exclusively since 1974 when I bought a used 1971 2002. All of those cars handled beautifully. I know no Tesla can handle like a bimmer. In all those years my bimmers have had a grand total of 2 recalls. My 1985 325e was 14 years old when it was recalled because of plastic coolant pipe in the dash. My current ride, a 2018 M240i, was recalled when it was about a year old because of a software issue in the gauge cluster.

What goes on that you can't? How is this "okay" for $50-70k? What led you to buy a Tesla when other options from established manufacturers exist?

I get it and agree with your assesment, we expect a certain level of perceived quality. And with legacy manufacturers, we get just that. Perceived quality, as fit and finish can be world class superb. As always, we should ask the deeper question, why don't our vehicles last 50 or even 80 years. Clearly aircraft can do so and still perform as well as they did on the day they were made. The answer is simply that legacy manufacturers don't provide quality, only the perception of quality.

Tesla makes the best electric drivetrains in the world. Their batteries have been honed into a something approaching a quality product, and their controllers, motors and operational software is simply, better than everybody else. Is it good enough to overcome some shortcomings?

Possibly more importantly, Tesla's now look dated. The purchasing public has always purchased the "latest and greatest". For a while, this was good enough to keep Tesla on top.

I will never buy a Tesla. Why? 2 words: Elon Musk. IMHO Musk is a jackazz. Also, Tesla's have poor fit and finish, and require software updates to fix stuff. I've owned BMWs almost exclusively since 1974 when I bought a used 1971 2002. All of those cars handled beautifully. I know no Tesla can handle like a bimmer. In all those years my bimmers have had a grand total of 2 recalls. My 1985 325e was 14 years old when it was recalled because of plastic coolant pipe in the dash. My current ride, a 2018 M240i, was recalled when it was about a year old because of a software issue in the gauge cluster.
Asking for a friend... do BMW owners look in the mirror?

I will never buy a Tesla. I've owned BMWs almost exclusively since 1974 when I bought a used 1971 2002. All of those cars handled beautifully. I know no Tesla can handle like a bimmer. In all those years my bimmers have had a grand total of 2 recalls.

As a performance driver, ex racer and having worked deep in the race car world, I'd agree that certain makes just produce products that appeal to those like us. BMW, Porsche, to some extent Jag and the exotics remain very enjoyable to drive.

I admit that a performance Tesla is a flat out blast. We have a number of them at the local airport. God I love driving the faster ones. So there is that. My next sports car will probably be electric. As the performance and handling is very hard to beat unless compared to a purpose built and dedicated race car.

Tesla has only been mass producing cars for 10 years now. The other U.S. automakers for 100 years. You can't expect top quality or perfection after such a short window of experience. Kinda surprised they are as good as they are from what I've seen (but never owned).

A 2018 M240i is sweet ride, but just wait until it turns 10 years old and all the plastic engine parts start breaking down. Why do you think a 2005 Corolla that cost $15K new is worth more today than a 2005 750 that cost $90K new?

In my experience the car with the best fit and finish was a 126 chassis mercedes. I got mine very used up and it still had the aura of quality.

mercedes.jpg

My WAG. If you take Tesla owners as a whole they prioritized technology over fit-n-finish.

BTW everyone is in the cost cutting game. Take the implementation of standard screen across all model lines (ie. BMW) which reduces the amount of model specific interior pieces. Younger car buyers have spent thousands of hours in front of one screen or another and consequently have no appreciation for analog layouts.

Last edited:
My WAG. If you take Tesla owners as a whole they prioritized technology over fit-n-finish.

BTW everyone is in the cost cutting game. Take the implementation of standard screen across all model lines (ie. BMW) which reduces the amount of model specific interior pieces. Younger car buyers have spent thousands of hours in front of one screen or another and consequently have no appreciation for analog layouts.
+1

I drove a newer BMW a year or two ago and was shocked at how bad the fit and finish was compared to my 2009 E90. It had a nice big ipad glued onto the dash and a digital video game gauge cluster though. :rolleyes:

I think it's kind of funny how people will claim they are never purchasing a Tesla because the media tells them Elon is crazy, yet they have no problem ordering all kinds of stuff from Amazon, or Apple.
We have to admit, Elon puts himself "out there" and creates controversy. All is fair if you are going to constantly expose yourself like that.
I hate Amazon but I will buy at the right price and I dont have to listen to BOZO all day long.
As far as Apple, why would someone have something against them, there isnt a more straight up cell phone maker than them.

BTW- I have nothing against Elon, if I was an investor I would wish he would tone it down and run the company. Kind of like I felt about the last President.

Heck someday the investors might kick him out. He is just a CEO, he doesnt own Tesla, the shareholders do. They pay him to run the company.

Last edited:
I will never buy a Tesla. Why? 2 words: Elon Musk. IMHO Musk is a jackazz. Also, Tesla's have poor fit and finish, and require software updates to fix stuff.
Good thing the CEO's of all the other automakers keep a low public profile. Or I'm sure there would be a lot of things about them to hate too. Kind of like celebrities and refusing to see any movies that they appear in because of the things they say.

Regarding the software updates to fix stuff: In most cases that is a positive thing and not a detriment. What would you rather do, take time off of work, drive to the dealership, wait or get a loaner car and then have them fix rather serious issues like wheels falling off, brake systems failing, engine fires and other wonderous flaws that you get with GM's, Fords and Stellantis vehicles or have the minor fixes that Teslas need done via an over the air update ? Or better yet, an actual improvement or update and usually for free from Tesla ?

Regarding the software updates to fix stuff: In most cases that is a positive thing and not a detriment. What would you rather do, take time off of work, drive to the dealership, wait or get a loaner car and then have them fix rather serious issues like wheels falling off, brake systems failing, engine fires and other wonderous flaws that you get with GM's, Fords and Stellantis vehicles or have the minor fixes that Teslas need done via an over the air update ? Or better yet, an actual improvement or update and usually for free from Tesla ?
All is fair since you're making statements about other companies and not Tesla. Found this in less than 30 seconds. Seems like a rather serious brake system fail to me.

"U.S. auto safety regulators have launched another investigation of Tesla, this time tied to complaints that its cars can stop on roads for no apparent reason.
The government says it has 354 complaints from owners during the past nine months about "phantom braking" in Tesla Models 3 and Y. The probe covers an estimated 416,000 vehicles from the 2021 and 2022 model years."

We love the Model 3 with its tech; this car is the future. I will buy another, probably the Highland. There is simply nothing else like a Tesla.
Everything else seems so Old Skool. That's not bad, just different. Each to their own.
Oh yeah, they're really fast, so there's that...
View attachment 136962
I like the swoopy lines of the Tesla. I still think the model S is a great looking car. At this point, living in rural NH, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of electric cars. Someday maybe, but not now. I would like to drive a Tesla and other electric cars just to see what they drive like.

I like the swoopy lines of the Tesla. I still think the model S is a great looking car. At this point, living in rural NH, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of electric cars. Someday maybe, but not now. I would like to drive a Tesla and other electric cars just to see what they drive like.
Uh oh. You shouldn't ask this question. I am about to get flamed.
Think about it... ICE needs a multi gear transmission (which robs the engine of power) because of its uneven, limited power band. So many extra parts in an ICE drivetrain; it is an amazing feat that it all works in harmony as well as it does. The simplicity of an EV drivetrain, and Tesla is the best, along with its flat power band, makes it a better vehicle.
We are at the beginning of the EV as a mass produced vehicle. Everything will improve; some slowly, some not so slowly. As Tesla opens up its Supercharger network to other brands, more and more money will be generated, which will allow for even more Superchargers especially in remote areas, condos, etc. Tesla is working on battery storage to buy at off peak and sell it back at higher rates; the profit margin potential in enormous.

Perhaps schedule a test drive and see what you think. From the smooth, effortless acceleration to the simplistic, clean, futuristic interior, you are driving the future. By the way, by acceleration, I am not talking about 0 to 60 times; rather I an talking about merging onto a freeway, passing, etc. Real world driving... The acceleration prowess over ICE, to me, is the "right now", responsive acceleration, there is zero lag. I tell people these cars are more so quick instead of fast.

Last edited:
Back