I want to like Tesla...but...

If touch screen control for all functions is such a great idea, then why do brand new airplanes have discreet switches for critical systems and functions?

Could it be that navigating through screen menus takes the pilot’s attention off of the important job of actually flying the airplane?

Tesla is a leader in this regard - a leader in cost savings by reducing the number of discreet switches - and their clientele think it’s the cutting edge.

When it’s actually a poor ergonomic solution, driven by cost cutting, masquerading as avant garde.
That’s a really good point. We rented a Tesla in the fall, and the nested menus were a pain. Some of them weren’t really intended to be manipulated in transit, and those were no worse than the nested menus say, inmy Honda. But it often took unnecessary steps to switch between things.

I agree, the big claim is how profitable Tesla is. How much more they make per car than others. Think about how automakers make decisions to scrape pennies out of a part. Well, if you can push this touch screen to not need any of it, and make the public accept it, you wiped out lots of small manufactured parts… good chance it will reduce cost. With no redundancy and reliance on a screen that will fail.

And do you take your 2021 to the indy?

They may not be beaters. Are the tires 4/32 or better? Do all of the features and buttons work as they did when new? Is the interior in good shape? Paint corrected every several years, or wrapped? Undercarriage and suspension free of rust? Proper PM intervals observed?

If yes to all of that, then I'd consider it a well maintained machine.
Lol. Why would I take it to Indy when I can so it?
idk, I track BMW all the time. What do you think? Is it in good working order?
I take it to ski 1-2 times a week in the Rockies, do you think tires are good?
And I have three sets of them, just for that car.
And I do all that instead of watching it on YouTube.

Lol. Why would I take it to Indy when I can so it?
idk, I track BMW all the time. What do you think? Is it in good working order?
I take it to ski 1-2 times a week in the Rockies, do you think tires are good?
And I have three sets of them, just for that car.
And I do all that instead of watching it on YouTube.
That's cool. Working on my car isn't my thing, but I can respect if you've put in the time and bought the tools to effectively do it yourself.

That’s a really good point. We rented a Tesla in the fall, and the nested menus were a pain. Some of them weren’t really intended to be manipulated in transit, and those were no worse than the nested menus say, inmy Honda. But it often took unnecessary steps to switch between things.

I agree, the big claim is how profitable Tesla is. How much more they make per car than others. Think about how automakers make decisions to scrape pennies out of a part. Well, if you can push this touch screen to not need any of it, and make the public accept it, you wiped out lots of small manufactured parts… good chance it will reduce cost. With no redundancy and reliance on a screen that will fail.
And that “argument “ voice command. Here I am, cranked up music, opened windows, enjoy the ride, and now I have to stop listening music to do something?
I am driving, I am not dead! I can press something if needed.

And that “argument “ voice command. Here I am, cranked up music, opened windows, enjoy the ride, and now I have to stop listening music to do something?
I am driving, I am not dead! I can press something if needed.
I really don't like pressing stuff. Takes your focus off of the road. I'd rather just speak it. That's one thing I like about the Volvo...I ask...it does.

There is a learning curve to Teslas, especially the voice commands. Once you get familiar with them, using the touch screen is a rare task, in my experience. The menus do keep changing (can be confusing) and new natural language voice commands are added via OTA updates. Some small and some big.

Saving production cost is generally a good thing, but not at the expense of safety. Tesla's real cost saving is with Giga Press (400 robots removed from mfg line and less part complexity) and other advanced manufacturing, vertical integration and more. Speed and efficiency are the real enablers to lowered costs.

There are a lot of very interesting and cool things being done with electronic gauge designs for the restomod market. Like gauges that will replace those in your classic tri-five Chevys, Mustangs, Corvettes and so on that are customizable in many ways. They look great and are extremely functional.

Tesla would be smart to hire a few consultants from those makers. They could easily give their vehicles gauges that display everything a driver needs to see in conventional dashboard locations and in very attractive formats. Make the display screen smaller, big enough to be useful for navigation but smaller than the current form factor. Add some conventional buttons and dials for the HVAC system that can be operated through muscle memory without having to take one's eyes off the road. They could retain some voice commands.

Those younger drivers who grew up with computers and are dazzled by the way Teslas operate don't know what they are missing if they haven't driven cars from the past that were well designed from an ergonomic standpoint.

There are a lot of very interesting and cool things being done with electronic gauge designs for the restomod market. Like gauges that will replace those in your classic tri-five Chevys, Mustangs, Corvettes and so on that are customizable in many ways. They look great and are extremely functional.

Tesla would be smart to hire a few consultants from those makers. They could easily give their vehicles gauges that display everything a driver needs to see in conventional dashboard locations and in very attractive formats. Make the display screen smaller, big enough to be useful for navigation but smaller than the current form factor. Add some conventional buttons and dials for the HVAC system that can be operated through muscle memory without having to take one's eyes off the road. They could retain some voice commands.

Those younger drivers who grew up with computers and are dazzled by the way Teslas operate don't know what they are missing if they haven't driven cars from the past that were well designed from an ergonomic standpoint.
Tesla's software expertise remains in Palo Alto; they have some of the best architects in the business. The naysayers struggle with change, but that change is coming. Software solutions simplify mfg complexity and enable long term reliability due to less mechanical parts, wiring, etc. And mechanical devices are limited in functionality. Software enables new functionality (and fixes) with less or no additional physical parts, often with OTA updates.

And yes, as younger people replace their seniors, they will demand software driven architecture.

Tesla has pushed alot of change industry wide in terms of software (have never seen such rapid updates on the legacy infotainment oem side period). Even Toyota, the great hibernating bear in terms of infotainment in recent memory basically overnighted a total refresh of their products within a year unlike their previous years where a refresh midcyle was tied with infotainment updates.

The issue I have is now that Tesla is comfortable ahead, they're doing some weird legacy BS that they were attempting to change.

HW3->HW4 will not be something they pursue (free or paid upgrade). The cop out from Musk, was well, its safer then a human so its fine lol its a smack in the face. He included some arbitrary number/funny math about 200% safer HW3 vs 500% safer with HW4.

Tesla's software expertise remains in Palo Alto; they have some of the best architects in the business. The naysayers struggle with change, but that change is coming. Software solutions simplify mfg complexity and enable long term reliability due to less mechanical parts, wiring, etc. And mechanical devices are limited in functionality. Software enables new functionality (and fixes) with less or no additional physical parts, often with OTA updates.

And yes, as younger people replace their seniors, they will demand software driven architecture.

Tesla has pushed alot of change industry wide in terms of software (have never seen such rapid updates on the legacy infotainment oem side period). Even Toyota, the great hibernating bear in terms of infotainment in recent memory basically overnighted a total refresh of their products within a year unlike their previous years where a refresh midcyle was tied with infotainment updates.

The issue I have is now that Tesla is comfortable ahead, they're doing some weird legacy BS that they were attempting to change.

HW3->HW4 will not be something they pursue (free or paid upgrade). The cop out from Musk, was well, its safer then a human so its fine lol its a smack in the face. He included some arbitrary number/funny math about 200% safer HW3 vs 500% safer with HW4.
And Tesla is just getting warmed up. Everything they have learned about EVs and cost effective manufacturing will enable their everyman's $25K EV. This has been Musk's stated plan from day 1.

There is a learning curve to Teslas, especially the voice commands. Once you get familiar with them, using the touch screen is a rare task, in my experience. The menus do keep changing (can be confusing) and new natural language voice commands are added via OTA updates. Some small and some big.

Saving production cost is generally a good thing, but not at the expense of safety. Tesla's real cost saving is with Giga Press (400 robots removed from mfg line and less part complexity) and other advanced manufacturing, vertical integration and more. Speed and efficiency are the real enablers to lowered costs.
What if I am having Pink Floyd blasting and need a bit more air? Can I use voice commands and not interrupt music?

What if I am having Pink Floyd blasting and need a bit more air? Can I use voice commands and not interrupt music?
Push the right button on the steering wheel to activate voice command. Music will pause. Speak your command, like, "Turn up fan". Music will pick up where it left off.
You can also use the touch screen; the climate controls are simple.
Just saw Roger Waters in SF.

I will never buy a Tesla. Why? 2 words: Elon Musk. IMHO Musk is a jackazz. Also, Tesla's have poor fit and finish, and require software updates to fix stuff. I've owned BMWs almost exclusively since 1974 when I bought a used 1971 2002. All of those cars handled beautifully. I know no Tesla can handle like a bimmer. In all those years my bimmers have had a grand total of 2 recalls. My 1985 325e was 14 years old when it was recalled because of plastic coolant pipe in the dash. My current ride, a 2018 M240i, was recalled when it was about a year old because of a software issue in the gauge cluster.
Did your disgust for him come after the Twitter purchase? I’m just curious.

🍿🍻 This should be good........

Back