I want this car (2011 Crown Vic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Doesn't matter that it's a 2011, it's likely been beaten to death and idled for long periods of time making it essentially a 2000 model car with 300,000 miles.

Aren't the transmissions known to not be so long lasting on these and have intake manifold issues?

Certain years (earlier than this car IIRC) had the manifold issue, which was the crossover cracking. The transmission is excellent and was used in the F-150, Expedition....etc. It is the 4R75W.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Doesn't matter that it's a 2011, it's likely been beaten to death and idled for long periods of time making it essentially a 2000 model car with 300,000 miles.

Aren't the transmissions known to not be so long lasting on these and have intake manifold issues?

Certain years (earlier than this car IIRC) had the manifold issue, which was the crossover cracking. The transmission is excellent and was used in the F-150, Expedition....etc. It is the 4R75W.
Yeah I must be thinking of the older ones. I've often heard of them needing a transmission every 150k miles.

What I would do is look for one that's a little older (maybe 2006) that is a Mercury Grand Marquis or similar that was driven by an old man.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yeah I must be thinking of the older ones. I've often heard of them needing a transmission every 150k miles.

What I would do is look for one that's a little older (maybe 2006) that is a Mercury Grand Marquis or similar that was driven by an old man.

If the fluid was never changed in the tranny perhaps. I've seen Limo's with 700+ thousand Km's on them with the original engine and trans. Most impressive was one with 1.2 million Km. Just regular maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Is that a bad thing? It's almost a unicorn: police Vic that is not black, white, or gray...but NOT the full civvy interior (it has no console or carpet), and not the street appearance package (chrome grille, decklid brightwork, full wheelcovers).

Also has most of what I want: 3.27 axle with limited slip, cruise control, CD stereo, and even heated mirrors. (Even has a block heater!)

2011 Crown Vic

That is a ridiculously high price...I live near the local auction place that sells ex Police cars at public auction, and a 2011 CV with 80K Miles would sell for about $2,900 Can or $2300 US

Good for you. Unfortunately, it doesn't do me any good!

Is that a bad thing? It's almost a unicorn: police Vic that is not black, white, or gray...but NOT the full civvy interior (it has no console or carpet), and not the street appearance package (chrome grille, decklid brightwork, full wheelcovers).

Also has most of what I want: 3.27 axle with limited slip, cruise control, CD stereo, and even heated mirrors. (Even has a block heater!)

2011 Crown Vic

That is a ridiculously high price...I live near the local auction place that sells ex Police cars at public auction, and a 2011 CV with 80K Miles would sell for about $2,900 Can or $2300 US

Yea, it does....Go to an auction and forget the dealer....where do you think he bought it?

Does this Chicago Motors have a good reputation anywhere? Or do you show up and the car was sold and the guy is "out" that day you spoke to and there is an added lot fee suddenly but they do have one a year older with just 60k more miles ready to go for $100 less?

Those are quick 140k miles. It's just from a salt state and too expensive for what I can get in my area. They go for forever. We did a Washington State to Florida round road-trip this year, not counting shorties like Sonoma-Napa dashes and local ones in a 2001 P71

2011 Crown Vic

Yea, it does....Go to an auction and forget the dealer....where do you think he bought it?

Somewhere I can't get in without a dealer license!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
A former police vehicle with almost 140,000 miles on it? No thanks. I've never quite understood the fanaticism about old Crown Victoria police cars.

You are right, you do not understand. For the rest that do, they are good vehicles that easily go 300K+ and many a taxi company buy them at that mileage and go the 300K with very little problems.

If you know what you are looking at, you can avoid most pitfalls with the few that could be problematic. For basic point A to point B transportation, they make excellent vehicles. If you are one that succumbs to peer pressure or do not want the next door neighbors thinking you are "low rent", then it is not a fit for you.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
A former police vehicle with almost 140,000 miles on it? No thanks. I've never quite understood the fanaticism about old Crown Victoria police cars.

You are right, you do not understand. For the rest that do, they are good vehicles that easily go 300K+ and many a taxi company buy them at that mileage and go the 300K with very little problems.

Agreed, while I'm not a Crown Vic connoisseur, I have owned five Grand Marquis and a 2003 Marauder(those are the ones to have if you want the ultimate panther), I still own two of those... Only major issue was the transmission pooped out on a '93, I spent around $700 for a rebuilt and installed it myself...

How many idle hours on it? Figure 33 miles for each idle hour. I paid $4000 for my CV with 117K miles and 1200 idle hours. That was a little high, but the car was in unusually good shape. It was a federal fleet car that had no salt exposure.

Try to find out what agency the car belonged to. Highway patrol or federal cars are the only CVs I'd consider. You don't want one that's been run 24/7 with lots of idle hours. My car has the same package as the one you're considering. Probably driven by an administrator of some sort. Most grunt cars don't have the cruise control, power pedals, etc...

I'd be concerned about salt/rust.

If you can find a better CV for less, just paint it the color you want it.

Last edited:
Avoid former "K-9" cars at all costs. Never get the smell out of them.

I had a former "detective" model police Crown Vic. Was basically a police interceptor model with a chrome exterior package and never had the rear seat wall partition installed. Did not look like a police model on the outside. I can remember my kids getting in the back first time and freaking that the door lock/unlock rods were removed and could only be open from the outside.
laugh.gif

293404_7e76a73c43f74448868af5ec21ab88ca.jpg

Originally Posted By: shiny
How many idle hours on it? Figure 33 miles for each idle hour. I paid $4000 for my CV with 117K miles and 1200 idle hours. That was a little high, but the car was in unusually good shape. It was a federal fleet car that had no salt exposure.

Try to find out what agency the car belonged to. Highway patrol or federal cars are the only CVs I'd consider. You don't want one that's been run 24/7 with lots of idle hours. My car has the same package as the one you're considering. Probably driven by an administrator of some sort. Most grunt cars don't have the cruise control, power pedals, etc...

I'd be concerned about salt/rust.

If you can find a better CV for less, just paint it the color you want it.

My brother works for the fed gov't and mentioned how much he liked the Crown Vic. The mileage on one of those out of the federal fleet should be a lot of highway, since that was the only time he ever drove the Vics was to go on a trip to another facility.

Originally Posted By: shiny
How many idle hours on it? Figure 33 miles for each idle hour.

Holy [censored]...my 2002 Ranger has a lot of idle "miles" then. Where do you get that conversion? Not doubting, just curious. I didn't know it would work out to that many miles of use.

The link in the OP doesn't work for me, but the car sounds pretty nice. In high school one of my friends bought a '97 P71 that was nicely equipped. They didn't have chrome delete before '98, but it was a standard Ford shade of green metallic (probably Willow Green). The interior was tan woven cloth (not available in civilian models) with carpet, but it had the full bench with arm rests, not the buckets. No partition had ever been installed, and no tint on the windows. It did have holes in the dash, so some kind of equipment was installed. No evidence of any kind of emergency lights though. IIRC, it did have heated mirrors, but just an AM/FM radio. It was a great car.

Here are some P7B's. We are getting ready to send these (about 25) to auction. Mostly have about 65K 2011's. Serviced every 5K and all fluids changed at 30K intervals. Central Florida, so no salt/rust/sea.

They will be for sale at ggauctions.com
here is a 2009 on line 2009 SCSO P71

The slicktop only has 47K

Now we just have to get the emergency equipment stripped out.
Dave

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
Here are some P7B's. We are getting ready to send these (about 25) to auction. Mostly have about 65K 2011's. Serviced every 5K and all fluids changed at 30K intervals. Central Florida, so no salt/rust/sea.

They will be for sale at ggauctions.com
here is a 2009 on line 2009 SCSO P71

The slicktop only has 47K

Now we just have to get the emergency equipment stripped out.
Dave

Looks like a waste of money for them to get rid of perfectly good cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back