I used the wrong coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dumped the coolant out of my 2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7 loter hemi. Went into carquest and grabbed 2 jugs of universal coolant and got it filled back up. Im pretty sure that i messed up since the carqyest universal coolant is green and the proper coolant should be yellow and HOAT type. Ive cycled 3 gallons of distilled water but the cookand is still freen. Would it be diluted enough now to go ahead and fill it with the proper stuff? Or should i do sone more flushes? Thanks

I would have flushed with a garden hose until it was clear before using distilled water. I probably would fill with distilled, drive it a till warmed up drain, fill drive again before draining to add coolant.

I agree with atikovi. This old Chrysler TSB is enough to sway my opinion about mixing Oat (assuming Carquest is OAT) and Hoat :

"CAUTION: Vehicle Damage may occur if dissimilar coolants are mixed!
Coolants of different technologies are not compatible nor interchangeable (OAT, HOAT or
IAT).
Mixing these coolants could result in:
• accelerated corrosion within the engine and cooling systems.
• the coolant having an ammonia smell.
• debris (particles) floating in the coolant.
Further inspection by the technician may find corrosion in the system. This could show up
as aluminum pipes turning black in the coolant system, engine overheat, or leaks in the
coolant system."

Make sure you have the heater on to flush all the coolant out of the heater core.

That said, you need to bring the water up to temperature in order to open the thermostat and get all the coolant out of the block.

And DO NOT run cold water through at hot engine.

You want G-05. Napa has the G-05 Concentrate for $20.99 or half that when mixed 50/50. No reason NOT to use that.
Or Motorcraft Premium Gold if you have a friendly Ford dealer around, I’ve almost always gotten a better deal on PG than G-05, and it’s the exact same coolant. Mopar G-05 is red, both PG & G-05 are clear to yellow colored.

So ive got 4 flushes complete and it looks like one mire will do it.grabbed two jugs if G-05 zerex from carquest along with a new thermistat and rad hoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back