What are the true dangers in using non OEM coolants?

I don’t believe the DEXcool thing was ever that significant in reality. The hyped up drama surrounding it was big 4 sure.
Anyway 2-eha is still wildly used.
Being poured into everything with wheels and universal coolants for years now by millions of folks having no idea that 2-eha exists. No vehicle apocalypse. I think we could probably move on now.
I wonder if thr Preston's Asian POAT uses 2EHA. Some of the info suggests it does ("All Preston's coolants have 2EHA" was stated;) some suggests it doesn't ("Use an Asian POAT and you should be OK" may have been stated.)

I'm afraid of 2EHA in coolant now. I've only seen one older Supertech bottle of Extended Life (this years ago) that stated 2EHA in "Ingredients." Still. I worry. Should I?

Pictured is Part # Prestone AF6600

Screenshot_20230720-081049_Chrome.jpg

Another question would be if 2EHA is in OE (let's take, for example, Subaru) coolants, and if stuff they recommend for newer vehicles goes backwards to the 2000s and 90s.. is it engine specific?

I also agree there shouldn't be "Moly" in coolant. That's an oil thing. Transmission fluid is sometimes called Transmission oil. Coolant is radiator fluid...

HOAT, OAT, POAT, etc. Just use what the car calls for doesn’t matter the color if it’s the correct formulation just use it.
Remember the good ol’ days when it was all green and glycol based?

What's a DIFY?

Also I'd be afraid of putting too much pressure into the heater core while flushing it. Remember, you should only be seeing 16PSI max in it. If you unload a garden hose or air hose at >60 PSi it's going ot be lights out for the heater core. And flushing it could break free some structural corrosion.

My Marquis had some nasty coolant. Unmaintained iron block cooling system. The heater isn't great. But I'm not touching the heater core. It works mostly and that's good enough for me. I'm very afraid of tinkering with it and then having to pull the dash.

I also agree there shouldn't be "Moly" in coolant. That's an oil thing. Transmission fluid is sometimes called Transmission oil. Coolant is radiator fluid...
Huh? There are dumb comments, and then there is this comment. You realize that molybdenum can be used in a wide range of chemical forms for a wide range of applications? It’s not just an oil thing. SMH.

I wonder if thr Preston's Asian POAT uses 2EHA. Some of the info suggests it does ("All Preston's coolants have 2EHA" was stated;) some suggests it doesn't ("Use an Asian POAT and you should be OK" may have been stated.)

I'm afraid of 2EHA in coolant now. I've only seen one older Supertech bottle of Extended Life (this years ago) that stated 2EHA in "Ingredients." Still. I worry. Should I?

Pictured is Part # Prestone AF6600

View attachment 168024

Another question would be if 2EHA is in OE (let's take, for example, Subaru) coolants, and if stuff they recommend for newer vehicles goes backwards to the 2000s and 90s.. is it engine specific?

Yes 2HEA is in prestone Asian Antifreeze/coolant.

Moly is used in some coolant blends.

Attachments

• 184FD801-6314-42CA-9D95-E9D4AC015EEE.jpg
    184FD801-6314-42CA-9D95-E9D4AC015EEE.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Molybdenum is in the same column of the periodic table as chromium, so they have similar chemical properties. Chromium based corrosion inhibitors have been used in industry such as power plants for a long time but were never common in consumer products due to high toxicity.

And I dont mean mixing or topping off. I mean replacing the factory coolant after a thorough drain and flush.
I ask this question as a believer in Supertech/Peak clone coolant for close to 20 years. Im a person that tends to keep vehicles for 15 to 20 years and would feel like a failure if I couldnt get at least 200k without major issue. Ive dumped the factory coolant on numerous vehicles and filled with a mix of Supertech and distilled water for years without issue (that I can see). Some I still own. In particular, my 2002 Suburban, has 277k on it and has had a drain and fill every 3 years.

I say all of that to say this...I stared under the hood of our 2012 4runner today and could not pull the trigger on flushing the pretty pink coolant. I think Im having a change of heart. I dont know much about HOATS OATS or POATS or anyrhing else in these types of coolants, but theres obviously reasons why they call for specific formulas.

So what are the risks if the Toyota 4.0 doesnt play well with the Supertech? Ruined gaskets? Corrosion? Have I just been lucky and avoided issues thus far? This vehicle will be my daily driver for the next 10 years hopefully. At this point Im almost convinced to forget about the Supertech and go with the Toyota SLL.
I have had zero issues with just using "Peak All makes" or "Super Tech all makes & models." Both about the same price point. ALL means "ALL" so no issues there.

If a vehicle is used exclusively on the equator, does it need antifreeze? Wouldn't distilled water be better than any mixture of distilled water w coolant?

If a vehicle is used exclusively on the equator, does it need antifreeze? Wouldn't distilled water be better than any mixture of distilled water w coolant?
Coolant does more than just elevate the boiling point and suppress the freezing point. It provides anti-foaming, annti-cavitation and corrosion protection for one thing. All of these are very important and it’s why you should not run less than the minimum concentration listed by the manufacturer.

Plain water is a better heat transfer medium, but it is not necessary in a properly maintained and operating cooling system. The rest are drawbacks.

When researching the new Prestone Platinum extended life antifreeze (15 years, 350,000 miles guarantee), I became concerned when reading about the pitfalls of 2-EHA in the Super Tech extended life antifreeze (5 years, 150,000 guarantee) that I have used for 11 years. But for the record, I have never had an issue using this antifreeze/coolant in 2 cars over this period of time.
I have wondered what the difference is between Prestone Platinum 15 years, 350K miles and regular Prestone AMAM 10 years 300K miles? What is different about these and regular 5/150K coolants that give them such long lasting protection?

I have wondered what the difference is between Prestone Platinum 15 years, 350K miles and regular Prestone AMAM 10 years 300K miles? What is different about these and regular 5/150K coolants that give them such long lasting protection?
I’ve always assumed it was the amount of additives but you know what they say about assuming. I’d like to know as well if anyone has a for sure answer.

Reactions: pbm
Issues with using different coolant formulas are largely due to mixing. Otherwise all coolants should perform properly when fully flushed, even the dreaded Dexcool.

It’s much easier to formulate a coolant to be compatible with all of the materials used in modern cooling systems, then to design a cooling system specific to a particular coolant formula.

It also makes sense from the logistical POV. Manufacturers constantly shop vendors for cheaper parts, same goes for coolant manufacturers. That is why specifications are used. The exact formula is never the same as the time goes, but as long as the spec is met, it’s fine.

Back