I think my lifters or rockers are going

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I believe these shavings are an early sign of my lifters going south. They are all silver in color and some look like shards that were sheared off. I noticed the shaving during my prior OCI for the first time and it’s the same now. I don’t recall seeing them in this quantity before. Engine sounds quiet with only occasional tick at cold startup that lasts about a second.

This is my 2015 Grand Caravan, 70k miles on the clock, 5w30 oil changes roughly every 5k miles all done by me since new. Oil level always full.

Also, the pictures don’t really do them justice. The shavings and specs are present in all pleats and at much greater numbers than I was able to capture.

What do you guys think?

B03D156F-1047-4605-B147-F17D95439D2E.jpeg

4E363DCF-6425-46C5-A439-25F81B59F3AB.jpeg

34AE3AF1-775C-480C-80AD-CE3062076C1F.jpeg

9A7E6334-BE3F-4016-8071-A848249F88BF.jpeg

Why do you suspect the lifters? Are you hearing any noise from that area when starting?

It might be useful to see whether a magnet attracts these pieces. If they don't, probably that's aluminum. Whether these bits are aluminum or steel might help pin down the problem.

Yeah, could be rockers, not just lifters. I updated the thread title.

And yes, pentastars are know to develop the ticking around 100k miles, and since I noticed this recently I’m pretty sure this could be it. I’d rather address this early so that the cams don’t get wiped out as well. There are reports of that happening as well.

Yeah, could be rockers, not just lifters. I updated the thread title.

And yes, pentastars are know to develop the ticking around 100k miles, and since I noticed this recently I’m pretty sure this could be it. I’d rather address this early so that the cams don’t get wiped out as well. There are reports of that happening as well.

A good theory, but the instances on pentastar(s) is way below 5%. did you win the bad lottery? maybe?

Easy thing to try is listening to both banks of the engine with a mechanics stethoscope and see if one sounds different.

Thanks for quick replies, had to do some dumpster diving to get the oil filter 😂.
Yes, they are definitely ferrous. My lightly magnetized screwdriver was picking them up no problem.
Then I think some additional inspection is warranted. How difficult it is to get the valve covers off?

He's like Ivan or Eric.O
But he works at a Mopar dealer, so he's more familiar with cough Stellantis products
He runs his own shop now. Left the Chrysler dealership a while back. His shop is in Augusta, GA. Not far from the YT video producer I posted who works at the Chrysler dealership in Atlanta, GA.

Both guys are very well versed in the products and share great tips and information. I have noticed MCM is posting fewer videos now that he is running his own shop. Less time due to running more parts of the "show" I would suppose.

He runs his own shop now. Left the Chrysler dealership a while back. His shop is in Augusta, GA. Not far from the YT video producer I posted who works at the Chrysler dealership in Atlanta, GA.

Both guys are very well versed in the products and share great tips and information. I have noticed MCM is posting fewer videos now that he is running his own shop. Less time due to running more parts of the "show" I would suppose.
Couple of Ford techs I know kinda did that. The one is still running his own shop, the other did a total career makeover and now works in a nuke plant. He still helps out at the shop periodically.

Back