I think I am done with dealer oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my Pathfinder in to the dealer for o/c and rotation. The dealer lets customers bring in your own oil so I brought in some PP 5qt jug. I had an apt for 11 am. It was Saturday so they were a little busy. The service writer noted my oil sitting on the passenger seat and I wanted them to provide the OEM filter. While in the waiting room I see my vehicle on the lift and it appeared to be in the process of the service. Shortly later the vehicle was pulled up front and I was told they are going to do the hood release recall and it would be done in a few minutes. After some time I see it back on the same lift and it appeared to be getting the oil changed again. Around that time the service writer reaffirmed I wanted to use the oil I provided. The service writer said he removed the charge for the oil as I provided it. When all was said and done and I was paying the bill I mentioned that it took a long time for the service. I had an apt for 11am and it was now 1pm. I didn't even bother to mention either someone made a mistake on using the oil I provided or there were two Nissan pathfinder SL models in white on the same lift within an hour. I checked under the hood when I got home and I cannot tell for sure if the oil is PP but it is for sure clean oil in there.

They fixed their mistake, ate the cost of their oil, and performed a safety-related recall you didn't even know about in approximately two hours. Stop crying.

Originally Posted By: stygz
I checked under the hood when I got home and I cannot tell for sure if the oil is PP but it is for sure clean oil in there.

LOL! What did you expect? A folding, flashing, neon light to drop down with angelic music emanating from the heavens, that reads, "This engine proudly filled with P4"? Did you sniff it?

I think I would use them again. Seem like honest guys that just made a simple mistake, then corrected it without fuss.

I agree with others, busy shop on a Saturday -- they fixed there mistake AND implemented your safety recall. Cut them some slack this time.

Sounds like they used the bulk oil at first, ran the engine a few minutes (moved out then back in) then changed again using your oil.
You got a good flush.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
I agree with others, busy shop on a Saturday -- they fixed there mistake AND implemented your safety recall. Cut them some slack this time.

They kinda messed up, and took care of business....Sounds like they did fine to me....

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
I would give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. View it as getting a quick flush of your oil pan thanks to having it changed twice in quick succession.

Fair enough. It may have just been me being ocd and a 6 year old asking if we are done yet. I will avoid at all costs Saturdays though. In the back of my mind I knew better.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

LOL! What did you expect? A folding, flashing, neon light to drop down with angelic music emanating from the heavens, that reads, "This engine proudly filled with P4"? Did you sniff it?

Is that too much to expect after an oil change?
grin.gif

Last edited:
My experience is about a 50% success rate with bringing my own oil into dealers over the years, unless you go into the shop and personally hand the oil to the tech. It's just not their model.

You might have better luck giving the jug to the service writer with your keys. The tech is accustomed to using the parts provided "through channels".

Many years ago, Had had a Highly recommended repair shop change a timing belt. Also had fans belts replaced too. I told the guy Id get the parts. And he said if getting your own parts I don't want to do it. I said that's fine but I want oem parts, he said okay. Not jack [censored] was oem and the sizing wasn't right on the fan belt width and they squealed as a result.

Although some may consider this a highly rated shop and give good praise, to me they were Half AZZED and okay at best.

BTW Saturday is probably the worst time to expect specialize service or any time its busy, atleast they did change your oil. But you probably broke their rhythm with bringing your own oil.

Last edited:
I took a friend's car I was borrowing to Sears to get an oil change, he told me just to use the oil he had in the trunk (Valvoline Max Life and a FL820S MC). It was part of the deal for me to borrow the car for a few weeks. Sears only charged me 10 dollars for the service, performed an alignment check, and topped off all the fluids. I think that is worth paying them 10 bucks to do my oil. That's why I think next oil change on the 1996 T-Bird will be done there, with Pennzoil Synthetic and a good filter. 10 bucks no matter what oil you bring.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The oil changer probably used bulk oil first and had to re do it.

This. I wouldn't be upset at all,plus the service advisor reaffirmed with you that you wanted to use your provided oil. They were honest and did what you wanted them to do and touched base with you to double check. Dealership oil changes are never going to be quick unless they have a fast lane. Back before I knew how to do manual tranny fluid changes I had Nissan do them with my provided oil. I always had to make an appointment,it took about two hours,and they always gave me the unused oil back in case I provided too much. Sounds to me that you have a very good and honest dealership. I'd continue to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back