I surprised my wife with a 2017 CRV Touring

This car has been somewhat of a pain.

Now the driver's side rear door fails to operate. Manual mode only. Cause unknown. have not even googled it.

Third battery, drain when quiescent is normal (must test this when solenoids have stopped).

Can't roll the SOB backward in N with power off. It completely brain locks the electronics and quickly drains the battery.

Good news, unlike our previous Honda, original PS pump.
Got that tiny 51R battery. I just replaced one in a 2019 CRV-EXL 2wd.

Has it had the software updated for the known battery draw issues?

Dealer will only do it - IF we pay them to do it!

Congrats on the new to you CR-V. We have a '17 EX AWD with the 1.5 DI turbo as well.
Bought it new in '17 and currently have a little over 31,000 miles on it.
Some of the features are a little aggravating like the auto door lock. I have tried to disable it several times but it keeps going back to the factory default. The auto hi/low headlight feature seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes but overall we are happy with it.
Also, you can not open the hatch back with the engine running.
My main gripe is the slow warm-up time (and we live in Georgia). The 1.5 liter engine just does not produce much heat and it can take a while to get up to temp. It can take a while for the temp to start going up and when you turn on the heat, the gauge will actually start to drop when stopped at a light or in traffic unless the engine was at normal operating temp.
Good thing it has heated seats.
We bought it not knowing about the fuel dilution issue and I got a little concerned and sent an oil sample to Blackstone and the first one came back with 3% dilution. I was then advised that I should take the sample hot and the last one (taken with the oil hot) came back at 1.8%.
I had been running Valvoline Modern Engine for this OCI. I refilled with Valvolie EP as it is supposedly formulated to prevent intake valve deposits.
I am actually just about to post my latest report.
I usually get about 28 MPG around town and have gotten up to 34 MPG on the highway.
I would describe the engine performance as "peppy".

Happy motoring.

Attachments

• CR-V.jpg
    CR-V.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nope. Dealer in Everett and dealer in Bellingham BOTH said they would NOT do it for free unless it was a tow in or otherwise failed for them.
Well, I mean, yeah, they still have to replicate the issue to "diagnose" to fix it. Like right now on our Odyssey van, it has the high pitched whistling due to the HVAC system. There's a TSB on it...I took it to dealer and they said they couldn't "replicate it" when they had it a few weeks ago. Yesterday morning, it did it horribly so I made sure to take a 30 sec video of it. The service advisor and tech when they got the van couldn't "replicate it" again so the SA had me email the video. Once they had the video, they went to the van and sure enough, "magically" heard the noise so they're ordering a new blower motor to fix it, as part of the TSB fix.

Sounds like what I did 50 years ago..."hey honey this is your new car..hope you like it". Would not fly today. Now she does trust me to buy the car but she needs to be there.

Sounds like what I did 50 years ago..."hey honey this is your new car..hope you like it". Would not fly today. Now she does trust me to buy the car but she needs to be there.
She LOVES the car. I'm the one trying to be a little objective about it.

The tiny battery is about the cheapest arse electrical thing on any car other than the mid eighties Mazda pick-up alternator the size of a soup can.

Originally Posted By: pbm
How much below MSRP was your low ball offer?

Supposedly the MSRP is $34,735. But that's with the dubious Destination and Handling charge. I paid $32,000, plus our sales tax and registration. No other fees or garbage adders. Of course my spendthrift wife did the consumer reports "what people paid" bell curve thing and we were fairly far left.

OE 0W-20. Easy peasy decision, follow the reminder screen which appears very easy to reset. Legally the owner's manual does NOT seem that strong......"recommended" but let's PLEASE NOT have the stupid repeated conversation in this thread. I will use API OEZ 0W-20.

CVT Fluid? I could find no reference in the manual!! (Will scour tonight)

No room in the garage/shop for the last 8 years. We will be moving..........and yes that little dent is pretty irrelevant right now. We still have the van. It's my project hauler. That thing has been thrashed within an inch of its life. Drivetrain has been solid. Excellent.

Our fleet:

2006 Honda Odyssey EX 180K or so
2013 Honda Acura 65K
2014 Sub WRX 26K
2017 CRV Touring 60 miles
I did a drain and fill on our 2017 CR-V's CVT @ 30K with the Honda branded fluid (HCF2). It ain't cheap, averages about $16.00 a qt and takes just a little under 4 qts for the AWD model.

Last edited:
I did a drain and fill on our 2017 CR-V's CVT @ 30K with the Honda branded fluid (HCF2). It ain't cheap, averages about $16.00 a qt and takes just a little under 4 qts for the AWD model.
Yep, did ours at 25k. It was like 3.7-3.9qts to refill. As easy as changing the oil except when refilling needing to use a long skinny funnel.

Thanks for the update on the CRV. There have been a couple threads lately about Honda and terrible battery performance. My 2013 Accord 4cylinder had the smallest battery I can ever recall seeing in an automobile. Owned from 2013-2018 and I had already replaced the battery twice… Honda needs to rethink this.

Back