I should have been a meteorologist.

That way I could always be wrong and keep my job.

Huge storm coming
Atmospheric river
Get sandbags
Etc.

And we got 1/4 inch of rain.

Attachments

• IMG_20230115_084354277.jpg
    IMG_20230115_084354277.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 72
Everything these days is huge, colossal, historical, you name it. It’s all exaggerated for effect.

That aside microclimates are tricky to forecast. I can get six inches of snow at my house and travel a few miles where only two inches accumulates.
Yes. Every rain cloud is now a named weather event. Our local TV meteorologist always qualifies his rain forecast with: “rain will begin between 3:00 PM & 12:00 AM”. That way if it does rain he has PEGGED the right time!

It's all about ratings, no one wants to hear everything is fine and dont worry about anything so at any possibility to embellish and get the public to tune in they will. They owe it to their stockholders for advertising revenue.

One slightly more neutral way to get the whether is http://www.noaa.gov and tune out everything else.
I agree. I worked for the National Weather Service for 30 years after serving in the USAF for 12 years. Unlike the media that sometimes really hypes up everything about weather...At the NWS we just forecasted it as we saw it without all of the hype.... Although I am beginning to see the hype factor entering in the NWS too....

Meteorology is a science , but it's not an EXACT science . There are a thousand things that can affect a weather forecast and none of them are controllable and only some are predictable . I think they do the best they can .

Tell that to the people of Planada. ☹️

No matter where you live you are at the mercy of natural events. What I see more and more is that people are not prepared for anything. They don’t do their due diligence. How many go out and check the storm drains on their street? How many get their house prepared before the winter season starts? Then you get into the food and survival component. Everyone needs to have a plan but most just worry about their sports team or social media.

Everything these days is huge, colossal, historical, you name it. It’s all exaggerated for effect.

That aside microclimates are tricky to forecast. I can get six inches of snow at my house and travel a few miles where only two inches accumulates.
Tv watchers really fall for drama.

Do people still watch TV news weather? I haven't seen a local newscast in years and I just go to the NOAA website to figure out larger events like snow or storms.

That’s what I find amazing. Local TV news weather?

I bookmarked my city on Weather.gov about 20 years and rarely look at anything else.

It’s not “how can they get the forecast wrong?”

It’s “how could they ever make a perfect forecast?”

The amount of live weather data and processing power they’d need to make a “perfect” forecast is beyond the comprehension of the human brain.

Reactions: hrv
Meteorology is a science , but it's not an EXACT science . There are a thousand things that can affect a weather forecast and none of them are controllable and only some are predictable . I think they do the best they can .
Agree. However: the weather is sensationalized to generate hits on a website etc. That generates revenue. Especially for weekend forecasts.

Reactions: hrv

I love the rash of “Bomb Cyclones” in the last year or two.
Love the words “potential” “potentially”
You can say anything using those words and never be wrong and make it sound like disaster is eminent at the same time

Keep the masses in fear.
And it applies to more than just the weather.
The really freaking scary part (no pun intended) is it’s so easy to scare people, even more so now with social media and a data device in everyone’s pocket.
People can not reason independently or think for themselves, no different than a flock of sheep.
There are always leaders who can control the majority

Back