I remember when cars had...

I remember:

- Manual, cable-operated chokes to use when starting a cold engine.

- Three-speed manual transmissions with overdrive.

- Optional oil filters on pre-1963 six-cylinder Chevys.

Another buddy had a early to mid 70's Olds two door. Not sure the model right now but the front seats didn't flip for rear passenger access, they rotated. Was useless but cool.

I call my '68 Corvette "Plain Jane". One of the few options ia the AM-FM Stereo radio. Has to be one of the earliest years that Stereo radio was offered.

Early VW bug reserve fuel switch. I THINK these were eliminated when a fuel gauge was added to the dash.
259244.jpg

I can remember everything mentioned by anyone so far. Some of them were surprisingly recent.
A few that have been overlooked: non-curved windshields, non-curved side windows, flat-head engines, and vents operated by a lever under the dash to raise a air scoop flap in front of the windshield (not good when it was raining).
Not even I can remember new cars with hand-crank starting, running boards, or non-hydraulic brakes.

Ford pickups used a manual under-hood heater valve at least as recently as 1966.

I remember when cars used leaded gas.
I remember when cars burned lots of oil and had blue tail pipe smoke.

Seat Safety belts were required by 1968. Omega mfg from 1973 to 1984.
When I was growing up in the 1970s, a lot of people who didn't like seat belts would hide the lap belts behind the bottom seat cushion, especially with back seats. To use them, you would have to reach between the back and bottom cushions and pull out the belts. To the average person, it would look as if the car was not equipped with seat belts.

AMC had a bulb you squeezed with your foot....windshield washer fluid from a plastic bag mounted on your inner fender.

DIY alarm systems you "armed" with a key switch you mounted somewhere on the car body, no electronic siren....it was a straight up electromechanical rotary siren. It's activation necessitated you to respond physically to the car to reset.

I remember that too. My dad had a '61 Ford Falcon with a 144 CI inline 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree as the first car I remember him owning. When he traded it off it had 77,777.7 miles on it as he pulled it onto the lot where he traded it. It had already been rebuilt once and needed it again.

If a full overhaul was still under $100 I wouldn’t even mind that requirement

...Stripped out cars/trucks that had no a/c, p/s or radios. (I bought a 1996 Toyota Tacoma like this brand new when I was 17.)

...4 speed manual transmissions and 5 speeds were an "option".

...Base pickup trucks that didn't come with a rear bumper.
Sounds like the 84/85 Omni my parents bought.
dad had an AM radio added. no power anything. had the Puegot/Simca 1.6(62HP ; 85Lb/Ft), witha 4 speed manual( that the dash thought should be a 5 speed. cruising along in 4th, and the upshift light comes on.) $5k new. (about $12,700 in today's Dollars)
It went to my brother in around '90 when his car was stolen, a couple years later he moved to TX in it, then sold it to our Cousin in Toledo, who drove it until the floorpan rusted out...

I remember when VW used air from the spare tire to power the windshield washer fluid sprayer. A hose screwed onto the tire valve, and ran to the fluid reservoir.

Oil bath air filters

Jeeps that didn't have carpet. The rubber mats were removable, so the floor could be washed out with a garden hose after a muddy off road adventure.

Back