I remember when cars had...

I remember doing this to Lada 2101. My 12 year old self felt so important in life when that car with dead battery fired up to life and dad gave me the thumbs up. Kinda miss this feature on modern cars, quirky, yet functional. Definitely beats standing on side of the highway and waiting for someone to stop to give you a jumpstart. Our car at the time actually died while camping at the lake in the middle of nowhere. So might as well say that the hand crank was a lifesaver, because we didn't see another car for two days in the area.

I remember doing this to Lada 2101. My 12 year old self felt so important in life when that car with dead battery fired up to life and dad gave me the thumbs up. Kinda miss this feature on modern cars, quirky, yet functional. Definitely beats standing on side of the highway and waiting for someone to stop to give you a jumpstart.

High beam switches on the left side of the drivers floor.

Removable rear fender well extensions. Ashtrays on the backs of the seats. Mechanisms that prevented cranking until the seatbelts were fastened. Exterior hood releases. Trunk keyholes hidden behind swing-away emblems. Power antennas. Thumb-button exterior door handles. 8-track tape decks. Buttonless steering wheels. Space in the engine compartment to squat while you worked.

High beam switches on the left side of the drivers floor.

That's a great one!!

I'll go with 8 track stereos!! Pretty much before my time but I remember my mother had one in a Ford Maverick, IIRC.

When engines needed a rebuild before 100,000 miles.
I remember that too. My dad had a '61 Ford Falcon with a 144 CI inline 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree as the first car I remember him owning. When he traded it off it had 77,777.7 miles on it as he pulled it onto the lot where he traded it. It had already been rebuilt once and needed it again.

Real keys I am old enough to remember those lol. Plenty of older stuff too I wish we still had. Stuff like manual transmissions which may still be made but are rare these days. And other stuff too like analog gauges.

Back