I need organization help here

This is the filter isle at my new job. There are wix,john deere,baldwin,fram, Cat etc filters every where.

I do not have a book to look through and none are marked what they fit.

Big ones,small ones. Air,oil,hydraulic and fuel filters. Probably $20k in stock.

I spend more time goofing looking for a certain filter than I do doing the actual work.

How can I organize this mess? Where do I start?

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_155819.jpg
    IMG_20201120_155819.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 85
First thing to do Chris is open boxes and make sure the filter matches the PN on the box. Then put them in numerical order and google the filter number to cross reference fitment. It's going to take a while....

Personally, I would use the "whole bunch of boxes and tubs" method. I'd create a box for each unit type you maintain and start segregating them. I might also create a spreadsheet and record item numbers so you can search and cross reference more quickly. Once everything is in a box, then I'd figure out how to organize and label it all so it can go back on the shelf.

Do you have a computer?
I would first make an accounting of every filter # and how many of each #. Even if it's on paper. Then you can number your shelves as bin locations and assign each filter # a location. But you need to know how many of what you have on hand.

It's going to suck to start. But you have to start somewhere.
Otherwise how do you know what you are out of and need to order?

Sort them by part number. Then in Excel (or Google sheets) type in column A all of the part numbers and print out a few sheets. Then count the stock of each part number and keep it on a clipboard. Each time you either add or subtract from the stock, cross it off with your pen and write the new number next to it. You'll probably need to use the Fram catalog website for a while to cross reference part numbers to learn what they fit. Then you can create a cheat sheet for the commonly used ones.

You'll want to use the Competitor part numbers

796F1D08-6FC3-452C-9CC9-2D3261AFA861.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I knew your old shop was closing but didn't see where you got a new job. What are you doing?

First, break them down by brands. Inventory each brand and record the parts numbers. Make you a spread sheet. Assign applications to each of the part numbers. Assign cross references. The most important thing is to get them separated by brands. Separate the engine oil filters from the hydraulic filters.

As the new guy at the company, I don't think I would be trying to make any changes so soon. Other employees take it the wrong way. Isn't there a parts guy that takes care of that?
I am the parts guy, guy that orders parts and fixes stuff. The boss told me to organize it asap so that they know what they have.

I would convert all part numbers to one common manufacturer part number, (Fram, Wix, etc.). Convert them all to one part number scheme, and maybe sort them by common applications your shop sees.

Then when a vehicle comes in just search by your common brand.

Here is the row of bins behind my computer terminal at work. Sorry its a little messy but that is how we have it organized for filters, coolant, spark plugs, and fuses. The organizer in the last picture is one I did for some of the fuse numbers we had to clear out bin space.

And no, the heater doesn't work anymore. It was legit when it did.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 24
Chris, do you have extra shelving space to start organizing and putting stuff back?

First I think I would put air filters all together and oil filters and other filters together by brand first. As others said check boxes to actually what's inside however this can take a bunch of time. If you want to actually do that over time maybe you can write your initials on the box for the ones that have been crossed checked.

I would also want to try and find date codes to use the oldest filters first. There are also filters they have in stock that they don't have the vehicles anymore. Of course this is going to take time. Maybe put stuff into cardboard boxes on the floor first and figure out how many filters you are dealing with. Then figure out your setup on the shelves. Maybe use a label maker to mark the common filters that will be used more often. Stuff that you don't need figure out what to do with those later. Maybe keep those In cardboard boxes out of the way.

Have fun and don't get overwhelmed!

Use wixfilters.com for your cross reference.

Take an inventory of the vehicles you'll be expected to maintain. Move these filters to shelf alpha. Maybe even sharpie on the box what they go to. The stragglers go to shelf bravo.

Sort then by size make a list of all the parts numbers then either cross reference them or look up the applications and write them on the boxes. There is a huge inventory , how many vehicles/equipment does the company own?

Back