I need a oil recommendation please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody Ive been lurking and reading some threads here and now i believe it is time to ask for some advice on what oil is best for what i drive and how i drive.
1st i own a 2011 camaro V6 ls automatic and it has about 1200 miles on and i plan on changing the oil when i reach breakin period at 1500 miles so about a week from now.
2. I do like to drive sprited when i drive and this car is a daily driver that is about 50%hwy and 50% city driving i average about 17k+ miles a year.
3rd i prefer synthetic oil and im not a huge fan of Mobil 1 just my non preference ive mostly used Royal purple in the past on most of my vehicles and loved it even though it is a tad exespensive..
Ive kinda heard good things about amsoil and the pennzoil ultra oil. I know that since this is a 2011 gm car that they want the dexos oil approval for warranty issues that might come but does running a oil that is better or as good as a dexos oil be bad for the engine? Oh and i do plan on keeping the car for a long long time as well.
Oh yea nd i need a recommendation on a oil filter too, hope i gave good info to help me out and thanks.

MaxLife 10W-30. There is no better oil for a 2011 Camaro V6.
Trolling.gif

OEM filter with Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum would be a good choice. That would be if you are trying to get a top quality product and not spend a ton on the oil change (Like Royal Purple when its not on sale)

If you can afford Royal Purple oil and the filter go for it, nothing wrong with it.

Also nothing wrong with M1 or Amsoil. It all depends on your budget.

The big question is what is your planned interval? Are you going to be following the severe service? If so any of the products we have talked about will do fine.

As far as dexos goes.... Just a big scam, any of the before mentioned oils will provide more than adequate protection for that engine.

Some of the popular oil filters that are solid ones are RP, M1, Amsoil, K&N, Bosch Distance Plus, Purolators, or anything else made by champ labs.

Just saw that someone got in before me. No need to use maxlife in a car that isn't broke in yet. The seal conditioners are completely uneeded for your new car. The oil itself however is a fine product and i use Maxlife Full Synthetic in some of my changes, just don't think you would want to use it in that new car.

Last edited:
QSUD and an oem filter.QSUD is in general the least expensive syn oil on the market and it is Dexos1 approved.I did say least expensive not cheap,it is quality oil at a good price point.

whoops did forget to mentions that id prolly be doing 5000k miles between oil changes prolly when the oil life meter is around 40ish% and i be doin my own oil changes as well i dont think Rp makes a filter for my car since its a carteridge design one and not a screw on one.

To eliminate warranty issues, I'd recommend an oem filter during your warranty period and then whatever dexos approved oil you like. I am unsure but I doubt RP is dexos approved. I'd basically look at the list and go from there. Pick an oil that you feel will hold up well to your intended interval and run it.

Dexos oil is a 'blend'. SO any synthetic oil is better still.
Some oil blenders are getting the 'approval' by GM, but many are not going to pay the duty for that 'approval'. Doesn't mean the oil they make isn't up to snuff, it is.

^ hmm the dealer told my dad to sign a waiver since he supplied a filter.

I never heard of this until he told me, weird, why would a dealer care if you are using a different filter, sure if its some no name then get worried but if its a good brand whats the issue?

Should i get a oil analysis done as well with the stock oil is it to early to get one done while the engine is still in break in period? I know i should get one done after this oil change with whatever oil i choose but i am still waiting for a lil more feedback. I also wanna know why Pennz Ultra isnt dexos1 certified.

Your motor is a slightly higher output version of the one in my wife's 09 Acadia, with Direct Injection. I think you are right to do 5k oci's. That is what I am doing. I can buy the OE Delco filter for about as cheap as any. I use PP but QSUD is another good choice.

Well i think i narrowed it down to two Oils Either its gonna be the Amsoil xl one above the Oe 5w30 or its gonna be the pennz ultra just would like a lil more feed back please before i take a plunge and ill be using whatever ever oil i choose with everyone recommendation as well for the life of the car.

If your OCI's are going to be 5K, then save the money over AMSOIL and get Pennz Platinum. If you need an extended OCI, Castrol EDGE would be a good choice.

Pennzoil Platinum for 5k or extended!
QSUD is a good choice too
both are dexos approved

the delco filters are ok for 3 bucks but no great shakes
i would go with a pure1, bosch premium, napa gold or wix for normal ocis
bosch distance plus or M1 for extended ocis.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
At a 5K oci, Amsoil would be MUBA(money up a bull's arse).

Depends on which Amsoil. Amsoil OE is under $5qt. XL not much more and while probably fine to 10K+, maybe a bit of an overkill. The Signature series for sure would be a waste.

I didn't realize that OE was that inexpensive. You're right, it's no more than M1, PP, or PU at Walmart prices. Full syn at 5k is overkill but it's not absurd overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back