Civic is burning oil, advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has two Civic's, one is a 2000(bought with 105k miles) with 301k miles and a '09(bought new) with 47k miles. In the 2000 he runs a HM 5/30 and tops with Rotella 5/40, the '09 he just uses the HM 5/30. The 2000 burns about 2 qt's every 7500 miles and the '09 doesn't use any oil in 8k miles. He also tracked his gas mileage on both cars(for years) and he saw no difference in gas mileage in either when he went to the HM 5/30 over the 0/20 he did use.

ROD

I've got the 2.0 with similar consumption. Maxlife NG didn't help mine. If you do try a HM in the future I'd be interested if a different HM like Mobil 1 did any better for you.

Mobil 1 HM 5w30 is an excellent choice, its nice and thick with a great additive package, but you have to be patient with it to work because topping off with the same stuff can get expensive for a couple OCIs. You could top off with something else too like M5k.

Just seems like a waste of money though since its drinking oil, might as well just go with cheap known good oils like PYB, ST, Mk5, VWb.

Lots of good recomendations here but, I'd go back to basics first.

Try doing the PVC and then some regular motor oil(dino) changes for a few Oil Change Intervals(OCI). Maybe with some Quaker State Green Bottle(QSGB), Valvoline White Bottle(VWB), Pennzoil Yellow Bottle(PYB), or any Dino oil of your choice. I am a fan of PEAK Oil too when it's a good price. These Civic's usually aren't fussy about oil. Although, lots of Wide Open Throttle(WOT) and higher RPMs can also use oil in any engine. Maybe try some 5W30!

My daughters Mazda3 2.0L requires 5W20, with no other recomendations in the Owners Manual(OM). I often use 5W30 without any MPG penality and the engine is quieter/smoother and overall the engine seems to like it just fine.

And yea, Civic's have no balls! But, what I have noticed is, the Civic will come into a different light at >80 mph and beyond!

I've had Civic's and know tons of folks with them. They all run regular motor oil and have many hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back