Burning oil around town but not long highway trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it pretty normal to burn more oil on short trips and lower mph speeds than long highway trips?

My 2013 2.5L Direct Injection Malibu with 93K miles burns at least a quart every one thousand miles. When at home, it doesn't see a ton of highway use and it goes through oil pretty quickly.

The past two summers I went on far vacations that were 600+ miles each way, all highway. Little to no oil was burned for those 1-2K of total miles. After coming home, the car is back to burning a lot of oil.

Is it because of the lower RPMs of highway driving? Maybe in city driving the engine regularly goes above 3K and that is the cause? Or the engine not getting to full operating temps around town?

It's partly based on RPM, as you suggest.
Also, city driving sees regular periods of high manifold vacuum which increases leakage throu the valve train unlike continuous high speed driving, which sees less vacuum for reduced consumption.
It's a double-whammy.

Probably just hardened up valve seals & high manifold vacuum from stop & go as Olas mentioned.
Makes sense at almost 100k.

girlfriend just dumped her 13 LS 2.5 using a quart on a thou everywhere even with 5-40 that helped a while, only 63 on it. looking at malibu forums shows many issues!!

My 2.5 altima is the opposite. No oil usage for 500 miles in and around town. 500 miles on the highway and I'm adding a half quart. Pizzez me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back