“I need a new car because” blah blah blah thread

Many people like that are worried that repairs will rack up into the thousands of dollars. They fall out of love with that vehicle and want something new that won't have repairs for X number of years.

They don't realize that 2k worth of payments is only a few months of car payments and not years worth of car payments.
I just think people don't buy what t hey want and look for an excuse to get rid of it. I did that with my 2015 CX5. With my 2019 CX5 turbo, I am MUCH more likely to pay a few $K in repair and keep it.

I am done buying new cars. Will buy a 1-2 year old vehicle next time. Leaves lots of extra money in my pocket.
That’s how I bought my wife’s Benz. 3 yo car after leasing, 17k miles odo (at the time). $43k sticker price I’ve got it for $28k

All but a couple of my BMWs were purchased used- including my E24 M6 and current F22 M235i. Both were babied by their prior owners- I doubt either car had seen 100 mph before I bought them and I know neither one had been used at an HPDE. The other used Bimmers were also great- most all of them seeing 140k to 198k before I sold/traded them.
I'll buy new if it's a car I really want- like my Club Sport or MS3), but most of the time I find something used that I like better at or near the cost of the new car.
It helps to know the car you're buying-- I did this with saturns and am now into prii. Through a fit of logic the available cars we know turn into used cars!

Car guy, I think you have to go back in time to where those habits of buying new cars began. I know for myself I had no father around when it was time to buy cars at time when it was the man's responsibility to maintain vehicles. So I bought poorly maintained vehicles needing a lot of repair without the knowledge base to do the repairs. I have my first new car and it gives a sense of freedom to not have to deal with the bigger maintenance issues.

But what you do next determines if that car will stay up to date or become a maintenance nightmare.

Funny you mention that. Just today, I had a coworker telling me she's looking to replace her '16 Edge SEL with 31,000 miles on the odometer, because she's had it "long enough" (she's the original owner).

I thought she was going to replace it with something new, but no...she's looking at 2016-2018 Land Rover Discoveries and Mercedes-Benz CLK 250s with higher mileage than her Edge. I'll never understand it.
That makes zero sense and this example is what I meant in my original post. Most people I know that want a new car are people that can’t afford it.

It is very easy for anyone to come up with reasons to buy a new car. Mostly, they are trying to get confirmation that their decision is prudent.

The best thing is to not get involved. It’s their life and money. Mind your own beeswax.

I have so many friends that always tell me they need a new car because it will be needing brakes and tires soon etc. Most can’t even afford the car they have. So instead of spending a grand or so they just go out and trade the car in or lease another car. I tell them with proper main you should easily get 200,000 miles out of most cars made today. It’s alway cheaper to repair a car in my opinion.
Weird friends. I also think 200k out of a vehicle with just proper maintenance is a little high unless the standard is that it'll start and get you from A to B without stranding you.

Weird friends. I also think 200k out of a vehicle with just proper maintenance is a little high unless the standard is that it'll start and get you from A to B without stranding you.
200k is the new 100k. If anything 300k is the new 200k...

Not sure what you mean here. I'd expect very few issues before 200k in general. But I guess it comes down to usage: city vs rural, highway miles are vastly different than stoplight races. And of course climate matters.

Speaking personally, i do everything not to fall out of love with the vehicle. Spent a grand on a car that's barely worth that recently and it's running as strong as ever and has zero issue. Getting rid of a car and buying a new one is not always a good financial and envrironmental decision. People often get rid of cars because the interior stinks, the paint is trashed and the engine is worn and burns oil. Spending slightly more money up front to drive something you like for a long time is a good decision. Heck, you might as well spend a grand on a new to you car soon after buying it because you weren't aware that it could have underlying problems too. We tend to forget the initial value of a car too quickly just because of age or mileage.

200k is the new 100k. If anything 300k is the new 200k...

Not sure what you mean here. I'd expect very few issues before 200k in general. But I guess it comes down to usage: city vs rural, highway miles are vastly different than stoplight races. And of course climate matters.
I'm thinking about switch gear, screens, automatic climate control systems, interior materials, etc. In addition there are a dozen or so computer modules in cars today and they're not cheap to diag and replace. Neglected suspension components, shocks, bushings, etc. I have no doubt that a vehicle can limp into 300k miles.

I'm thinking about switch gear, screens, automatic climate control systems, interior materials, etc. In addition there are a dozen or so computer modules in cars today and they're not cheap to diag and replace. Neglected suspension components, shocks, bushings, etc. I have no doubt that a vehicle can limp into 300k miles.
"Limping" starts at about 400,000 or so.

I've never had trouble getting a car to 200k and haven't experienced any real money pits or nickel and diming during that time.

I had an '01 Frontier whose transmission went out at 140k, but otherwise I've not had to dump lots of money or live with many issues on the journey to 200k. My '04 Odyssey I got rid of at 210k simply because the paint was coming off, but that was a manufacturers defect that had a recall years back. It ran stellar otherwise.

My '96 Maxima at 280k is one of those cars I feel completely comfortable jumping in and taking across country if I ever needed to. It takes me to work and back (70 miles) each day faithfully and has never left me stranded, it's also comfortable and drives well.

I think the biggest hindrance to high miles is how people take care of them. By the time most cars hit 150k, they're on a 3rd or subsequent owner, often an owner who does not have the means (or desire) to maintain them. Thus they get tore up, drove hard and put away wet. Repairs are put off, less of an attempt made at maintaining appearance too (wash, wax, etc.) So by the time they hit 200k and you need something like some suspension work that ordinarily isn't prohibitively expensive-- well people just don't want to put a few hundred bucks into something that looks and drives like crap.

The key to high mileage IMO is to start out with a car that's well cared for and KEEP IT UP. Some vehicles age worse than others, so there's that variable as well.

But I do agree with 200k being the new 100k. When I was a kid, once a car hit 100k it was time to go. My belief is quality and longevity came to improve markedly in the early to mid 90's with the widespread adoption of fuel injection and reliable computer controlled powertrains. My personal opinion is that cars from the mid 90's to mid-late 00's tend to be the most reliable, or at least easiest to attain high miles.

With the exception of my beloved Club Sport(which I’ve owned since new) and my Wrangler(owned since 2002) I generally am ready to try something new/different after 5-7 years. I’ll keep my Clubman as a commuter car until I retire in 2024, but the M235i could be replaced if/when I find something I like better at a price I’m willing to pay.

I have a very good friend, 80 year old Widower, retired iron worker. Worked all over the country on big projects, from nuke plant in Arizona in the 1970s to some of the USA's tallest skyscrapers and square foot structures like DFW airport.

He has (had) a 2012 Buck sedan, smaller one. Maintained at the Buick dealer. He goes on for oil change, they tell him he needs brakes, this, that, 4,000 in maintenance/ repair. He hears that and buys a new car for 38k. Says he can't justify spending 4k on his pristine condition Buick.

Funny thing- that 4k was all basic stuff, something a BITOGer could do all on a Saturday using premium parts for likely under $400.

I have a very good friend, 80 year old Widower, retired iron worker. Worked all over the country on big projects, from nuke plant in Arizona in the 1970s to some of the USA's tallest skyscrapers and square foot structures like DFW airport.

He has (had) a 2012 Buck sedan, smaller one. Maintained at the Buick dealer. He goes on for oil change, they tell him he needs brakes, this, that, 4,000 in maintenance/ repair. He hears that and buys a new car for 38k. Says he can't justify spending 4k on his pristine condition Buick.

Funny thing- that 4k was all basic stuff, something a BITOGer could do all on a Saturday using premium parts for likely under $400.
💯

Life's short. If he can afford a new car comfortably, why drive around in a 9 year old car?

Back