I Need a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Delivering pizza is decent money if you can get enough hours in.

Just be careful not to deliver to anybody named I.C. Wiener, especially if it's at a cryogenic lab
LOL.gif

Well i was told jiffy lube sucks and you don't learn anything from it and you work alot.

So far i plan on finishing high school, going to a community collage for 2 years then moving all the way down south so SIU for mechanical engineering or somethign that has to do with cars.

But we will still see what the future holds.

Originally Posted By: Bulli
and you work alot. then moving all the way down south so SIU for mechanical engineering or somethign that has to do with cars.

Please end this thread..since you are not interested in working.

And please don't take Mechanical Engineering if you are not interested in working. And understand it won't matter how smart you are.

How about doing customer service type office work where you stay nice and clean. You *WILL* find a job if you look hard enough, might not be your job of choice......but its a paycheck while you are in school.

My first job was at a pet shop called 'Quality Critters'

I didn't enjoy cleaning the: ferret, hamster, rabbit cages.....but it was a job.

There is plenty of work for unskilled teenagers, but not cushy, easy jobs. All are going to be manual labor, working outdoors or working for low pay. You've got to decide what is more important, a nicer work environment (working indoors out of the sun) or working with something you enjoy (working on cars). If you can find a job that offers both, terrific! But decide on what is more appealing to you and go that way. People who like their jobs always do better at them, and always get the raises and promotions. So find something you like doing.

Since you like cars, here's a few ideas:

Lot Porter at a car dealership - Working outdoors, washing cars on the lot, almost every car dealership has porters doing clean up. Entry level job but you learn skills that can be used elsewhere, esp starting your own detailing business.

Jiffy Lube tech dude - Good advice already given, a job that's easy to get, people who like cars stand out here and are in position for promotions, if you are good with people even better, not the most fun or clean job but you are around cars all day. Don't forget the local oil change places and car dealerships, they need oil change dudes, too.

Car wash detailer - You can work on the line but see if you can get a job working in their detail center, most people who do this are immigrants but if you are good at it you can get promoted quickly, check out the local Turtle Wax car washes or any car wash that also offers waxing/detailing.

Parts runner for auto parts store - Requires clean driving record and pass a drug test, you drive parts to repair shops, other stores, etc. Most auto parts chains like Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA, etc have small trucks that are used for deliveries. Gotta be good with paperwork and being organized.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck!

I don't think easy work means little work. If it's something you love, it will be easy, regardless of what is involved because you'll learn more efficient techniques. If it's a job you hate, even if it's sitting on your a** doing nothing and making a lot of money, it will be hard because you'll dread going to it everyday, along with wishing that you weren't wasting your life.

Everyone has a skill, the problem is too many corporations won't allow you to demonstrate your skill unless you have X amount of degrees, with X amount of years of experience. Sad way corporate America works...

Originally Posted By: Al
and you work alot. then moving all the way down south so SIU for mechanical engineering or somethign that has to do with cars.

Please end this thread..since you are not interested in working.

LOL.gif
That is the general tone I hear too.

Quote:
And please don't take Mechanical Engineering if you are not interested in working. And understand it won't matter how smart you are.

I think teaching is a good avenue for him to explore. Skip the engineering.

No insult to teachers, but those who know and CAN = DO. Those who know and cannot - teach, manage, and/or instruct.

Bulli, there aren't too many "sit on your arse" jobs that are going to pay you $12/hour for nothing. They don't exist anymore. Too many idle people (no shortage of warm bodies) ..so the movement is to "extract" more out of the $12 employee. There's no escape anymore. There's no sanctuary in mediocrity. That's the liability of a service based floating economy. You don't have (adjusted) $20/hour manufacturing jobs to index token employment.

Work hard, my good little mice! Momma loves you!

You may find a security guard job for just above minimum wage that requires you to sit in a shack and do rounds with an electronic key every few hours. You can study if you can stay awake.

I did a little work for North American Van Lines right after graduating high school. Back-breaking work, but it paid VERY WELL. I could still live comfortably on what I was getting paid back then (1991).

If you're willing to bust your arse (no slackers need apply), try out a moving company.

HINT: Not all my pay was made on the front side of the job. Depending on how well we did, there were sometimes good tips.

Gary Allan said it with the teaching remark. My father-in-law keeps touting how being a teacher is a great job because it's guaranteed and has benefits. Well, I don't care to deal with crackhead, abused, neglected, retarded kids that couldn't comprehend the letter A from the number 1, so I'll earn my money actually doing something (still trying to figure out what that is).

Again, it's no insult to teachers. Someone has to enable the motivated. Our general manager of our plant had a degree in chemical engineering ..but couldn't engineer a process if his life depended on it (not really, but). He was a plant manager that could understand what his chemical and process engineers were doing and could communicate it to the front office in how it was producing $$ with meeting goals and deadlines.

bretfraz good advice.

How do i goa bout finding a job though.

Walk into the office and ask for a job application?

or should i be like I want a job here

If they still offer written applications then they should be able to get you one. A lot of places do online applications and give you no means of contacting the hiring department.

bretfraz good advice.

One serious strong recommendation. Since you're a "nice guy" ..it more than likely means that you've never bumped the walls in behaviors. Keep in mind that your adult status has a tremendous upramp in civic responsibility and liability. I've seen many an otherwise "good person" swept into a cattle chute of future lower status with a simple (and for the most part harmless) one time mistake.

Don't make any.

18 years old? Yeah, that's a no-brainer: Join the Air Force and wrench on planes. Stay in for 20 years and get your retirement pension and free health care for the rest of your life. You'll be 38 years old when you retire and you can then start a second career as a civilian to keep busy. No worries.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd say the military (choose wisely) would be a good place to learn how to wipe your own butt and figure out what you want to do.

recently i ran into an 18 yo young man, who didnt think college was going to be for him, his uncle runs a property management company, and the young man wasnt sure what to do with his life and his uncle was talking about him being involved in the building trades in some form, hvac, plumbing, or electrical work, all require a mechanical aptitude. these jobs pay well and are challenging and offer many opportunities to grow, not only personaly but offer opportunities
for self employment. the draw back i see for you is this type of work requires a willingness to use your brain and your back.

i suggested to the above young man that if he was willing he could come to work with me for the day (hvac) talk to the plumber and the electrican and see if they would be willing to take him on for the day and see which one of the trades interested him further.

one could talk to local tradesmen and see if they needed summer help for an interested person, a positive attitude and a willingness to try,, thats going to be more important than any skill as a beginner, of course that applies to any job no matter at what stage of life one is at.
sincerely
duane

How are you with geezer droppings?

Rest homes always need CNAs, orderlies, that sort of thing.

Classes/Training takes a couple weeks and they're so desperate they'll pay to train you.

It's a meat grinder, and lives are at stake. Many burn out.

But if you change old guy diapers and give sponge baths and run wheelchairs around and don't mind doing it there's always as much or as little work as you need. Wierd hours too which can be a good thing. As gender roles play out it's a great way to meet chicks too.
wink.gif

bretfraz good advice.

Yeah, just stop by the local places and ask for an application. A manager or someone official may ask you some questions, kinda like a mini interview, so you want to look clean and presentable. Or you might want to ask to see the manager and find out directly from them if they have any openings. They can tell you right there if they're needing someone. If not, ask them if they know other stores or shops that need someone that can start right away.

Check out this one I just found:

DELIVERY DRIVERS NEEDED
posted 06/09/2008
DELIVERY DRIVERS NEEDED part-time. Deliver North Shore and suburbs. Small car, valid driver's license, insurance necessary. Gas allowance included. Up to $20/ hour. Apply Monday-Friday, 4800 N Milwaukee, Suite 205B.

Don't forget to read the paper. Not just the Trib but the local paper, too. If you're in the city or near it, check out The Reader. Don't forget Craigslist and the usual web job boards like Monster, Hotjobs, etc.

This thread will remind me to thank my parents for teaching me the value of a good work ethic. By the time I was 18, I had already completed 3 teen careers: lawn mowing business, caddy, and drug store stock person.

Bulli, find a school counselor or other motivated adult to teach you life skills necessary to make a go of it.

Either you pay the dues up front (hard work/training) or you pay it later, forever struggling to get on your feet.

I really think it is one of the toughest times for young people to get started in life, career wise.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back