I miss you _______ on my new car.

I'd wager that the old keys broke more.

And easier to replace? A push button is most often a trim piece and some screws. I've had to drill rivets to change old column switches before...
The button itself is easier but if you have to do any of the electrical that runs into them usually take the whole dash apart lol. I’ve never replaced an ignition in anything old so I haven’t had to drill anything.

Ashtray . Good place to keep your change . I have to use cupholders now and the coins get sticky if a drink leaks .
Not to mention that you either have to fish out all your coins at your destination or risk a crackhead busting the windows to get at your change...

I also miss having a dash WITHOUT a video display. I spend all day around screens. The car was the one place they weren't in my field of view.
I’d have to agree with that. My 300 had the big color LCD dash and 8.4” touch screen radio and I got sick of them. My truck has a small black and white monochrome display in the dash and a 2 line black and white monochrome radio. It’s nice driving home at night without the screens glaring in my face even at the lowest brightness setting.

“Old school” climate control... If I select 75F, I want 75F air blowing at me, I don’t want it trying to make the cabin 75F.

More colors inside and out. The greens displayed here would be great, and some more reds and blues. Every vehicle now seems to be white, black, gray, or silver, and interiors black or a dark gray until you get to higher-end cars.

Wing windows, and more room all around inside. The LaCrosse is a pretty big car by today's standards, but four people in it would be a bit cramped.

I do like the e-gizmos to a degree, as long as they last and work correctly. Since windows are all so small now, the rear view camera is a tremendous help when parking.

And yes, I'd like a horn ring or some way to sound the horn with a thumb, instead of having to lift your hand and jaw it down to the center of the pad.

Glass headlights, tired of seeing faded headlights every where, really makes a vehicle look bad.
Buick seems to have solved that. The '03 Park Avenue's lights fogged. But my '11 Regal's headlights, which looked new when I bought it in 2014, never faded until I traded it in 2019. The 2016 LaCrosse's lights are 5 years old and still look crystalline.

Things I don’t miss:

Seats with coil springs that would pop through with age.

Hand crank windows that required several up and down movements before they would be where you wanted them.

Doors that had to be lifted in order to close properly.

Squeaks and rattles on rough roads.

Headliner that would eventually start falling apart and need taping to keep it out of the way.

Trunk lids that required several slams before the latches would catch.

Bumpers that would lock if you bumped the car in front of you resulting in a embarrassing moment on the street.

Curb feelers that announced to the whole neighborhood that you were home and parking your car.

So many more but I’ll leave it at that.

Numerous items already mentioned by others, plus ...
HVAC controls that make settings easy to view, and easy to adjust without looking;
Instruments that are easy to read in any light, and offer decent resolution;
Easily replaceable key that's not too large to keep on a ring with other keys;
Easily replaceable headlights that don't cloud;
Properly placed armrests with cleanable surfaces;
Capability to play radio with engine off and door open (for ventilation) without rapidly discharging the battery;
Capability to deliberately or accidentally leave door ajar without discharging battery;
Better behaved cruise control;
Easy diagnosis of problems, and easy access to repair them.

I could go on and on ...

BMW to the rescue:
P90400385_highRes_the-all-new-bmw-4-se-1147x765.jpg
I know, off topic, but some of these new BMW grills are absolutely ridiculous. They look like a caricature of two gigantic nostrils.

Scott

Back