I miss you _______ on my new car.

Letā€™s see: Cable speedometers that needed lubrication, no rear window defroster, no outside rear view mirrors, vinyl roofs, AM only radios, bias-ply tires, wind noise, dash mounted windshield wiper controls, 2-speed automatics (3 if you were really lucky), abysmal quality control, rust, live rear axles, drum brakes all around, manual steering with 6 turns lock-to-lock, seats with no height or rake adjustments, shock absorbers (?), hub caps, no shoulder harnesses, emission control-strangled power and fuel economy, and the list goes on. Yup, they were a real joy.

I know, off topic, but some of these new BMW grills are absolutely ridiculous. They look like a caricature of two gigantic nostrils.

Scott

Yeah, I don't like a lot of new-er cars. And j must be getting old because I've heard my uncle say the exact same thing. He also used to say that many cars look the same. This also seems to be coming true. New Honda Accords and Audi's.. many many more examples.

I would say I miss tasteful chrome on a car.

81iLOkqz2KL.jpg

Hereā€™s one you wonā€™t think of unless you live in the back county frozen wilderness. RETRIEVAL HOOKS, POINTS ECT... To pluck mu 18 Camray out of any sort of saddlebagged stuck condition you absolutely will break something Unless you can get the tow straight in front. Even then youā€™ll need a 4x4ā€ block to redirect the strap or chains direction down more. To even put it up on a flat bed it has to get hooked by the steering arms . The geniusā€™s eliminated the tow ring mounting
behind the bumper on the US made cars. No frame slots either!
Second, cars that sit so low to the ground. Again a safety thing for pedestrians too busy with facebook to watch where they are going but for us Northerners :LOL: . No wonder we see so many folks driving crossovers and sport utes.

Hereā€™s one you wonā€™t think of unless you live in the back county frozen wilderness. RETRIEVAL HOOKS, POINTS ECT... To pluck mu 18 Camray out of any sort of saddlebagged stuck condition you absolutely will break something Unless you can get the tow straight in front. Even then youā€™ll need a 4x4ā€ block to redirect the strap or chains direction down more. To even put it up on a flat bed it has to get hooked by the steering arms . The geniusā€™s eliminated the tow ring mounting
behind the bumper on the US made cars. No frame slots either!
Second, cars that sit so low to the ground. Again a safety thing for pedestrians too busy with facebook to watch where they are going but for us Northerners :LOL: . No wonder we see so many folks driving crossovers and sport utes.
Still have those tow points on Mercedes. Even comes with the hook in the trunk. Those covers come off all the time though, see a lot of them on the road with the cover missing. They're not that expensive as a replacement part, about $20 and comes already painted.

4x4 and only one timing chain.

My replacement Explorer search after my 1994 4x4 was totalled has not gone well, and is ongoing, but I found a hooptie for the meantime...1997 SOHC 2WD 4 door XLT. It's actually pretty straight...no rust, owners manual in binder, jack and tools, 2 original keys and remotes. At 217k the timing chain problem should have already been addressed long ago, fingers crossed. It's quiet, shifts good, and is loaded will the nice cloth power seats and full length console. Also the door key pad works. Really miss having a 4WD TTB front end equipped truck though, and the 89-94 dashboard. Still on the hunt, just need to find one in similar condition to my SOHC 2wd hooptie.

Also, no hood prop rod on the "new" one...the shocks hold it, but I don't trust them.

Last edited:
14" wheels with 80 aspect ratio tires are definitely the ticket. I hope that they make a comeback sooner than later.
I'm starting to worry about sourcing 14" tires. I think I'm ok for now... but I know the day will come.

THe biggest thing is analog feel of car. Our last car with it was a 2005 Legacy Turbo wagon with pure manual bliss AWD and LSD. Not a single traction nanny just ABS. Not sure they can replicate it with cheaper modern AWD using electronics, stability control, and electric steering etc.

Auto headlights. Roll up windows. Non integrated fuse panel. These are the only things I wish the van had. It is as barebone as it gets.

Cushy seats with lumbar cushions, column shifter, courtesy lights, extra spacer under the hood and engine components not made of plastic. Dare I say it, pop-up headlamps were also cool.

For now I draw the line at 19" wheels; I remember when 16" wheels were actually considered to be exotic.

My BMW has 17" wheels w/ summer tires and 16" wheels I swap over with winters. The cushy feel of the winters is a night and day difference. Our roads get hammered in the winter time and the potholes are crazy, especially in the city. A friend has an F30 335i with 19's on it and he has already had 3 tires destroyed by potholes. It also makes the ride quite stiff. I had thought about getting 18" wheels for my summer set but not any more. I'll stick with the 17's.

Back