I Miss Diving Boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have an inground pool with 8-9ft deep end as well as a short diving board.

Same, we used to bbq, have drinks, and score the kids on dives … the Labs stayed in the fray too … and had to come cool us off with a good shake fairly often …

I'm on the Board of an HOA outside of Pittsburgh, so I see a lot of the background on decisions related to community assets like pools. We have a large pool (260,000 gallons to fill, 3-1/2' to 10' at its deepest). We used to have both high and low boards, but both were removed over ten years ago when insurance went up to over $25,000 per year. For a season of barely three months, it made no financial sense to spend that much money for an asset that was only used by a fraction of the community. We looked at adding a slide back in but the insurance was almost $25K, plus the extra staffing required to operate it, was more than we could justify. In addition, the potential to be the subject of a lawsuit should someone get injured was another reason to forego the boards and slide.

If someone breaks their neck and becomes a para/quadripalegic, who's going to pay for their lifetime of care? Since the answer isn't "us taxpayers" in our spotted safety net of social programs, it's the insurance companies and their rateholders. We still love the finger-pointing, expense-pinning game, otherwise we'd have decent nationalized health care.

Trampolines are another heart attack for homeowners insurance underwriters.

When I was growing up some years before you, our suburb had both outdoor and indoor pools, both of which had two low and one high boards.
Going off the high board looked daunting the first time you did it, but turned out to be highly addictive.
Me and my siblings spent entire summers at the pool and used the indoor pool most weekends during the colder months.
Our high school phys ed clases also used this indoor pool.
As a results, most of us became quite comfortable in the water and unlikely to drown, unlike most of the young people of today.
We also had an ice rink for the winter and our mother always ensured that we had hockey skates that fit us to use.
I became quite the skater and always wanted a pair of speed skates, which are essentially hockey skates with longer blades.
Fun times for kids back in the late sixties and early seventies, an era of unsupervised freedom destined never to return.
...and we wonder why the twenty somethings of today sometimes seem so clueless and immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back