I may never buy oil filters in a store again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like ever. My Sedona uses a large cartridge filter. A good quality filter like Napa Gold, Fram ToughGard, or Mobil 1 run at $10 or $11, if not more. The exception being WalMart who carries the Fram TG for $8 or $9. I've used Rockauto many times in the past, but never for oil filters. I just picked up 4 K&N oil filters for $4.04 each, PLUS a 5% off code, and saved a couple bucks shipping because I'm sending it to my place of employment. So ~$22 OTD for 4 high quality filters, including o-rings and the lot. Not bad. They had several other high quality brands too for cheap (Mann, Purolator, Beck/Arnley).

Good deal!
thumbsup2.gif

You may want to check out AAP price match, they typically price match for me online without the shipping and let me do in store pickup, or using one of the $50 off $100 or $40 off $100 if it's cheaper.

I usually use the 10 off 30 or 25 or 70$ at aap.

rockauto is better if you are buying at least 12 or so.

Too bad walmart's a bust. My ecotec cartridge filters from purolator are $3.27 there.

I only buy oil filter at local stores if it comes with oil special. Couple years ago I bought M1 oil change special(5 quarts M1 0W40 and M1 cartridge oil filter) from Pep Boys at $30. The regular price of M1 cartridge oil filter was/is $19.99. Back then WM didn't have 5-qt jug 0W40, only quart bottle at $7.xx/qt.

Normally I bought oil filters when I needed something else from Rockauto or Amazon or other online sites, oil or air filter(s) were used as filler to get free shipping.

I do the same. Whenever I buy from RockAuto I will stock up on oil filters. Bosch Premium's are under $4 where they are $6-7 at the AZ. I also buy wiper blades there. I just scored on Trico exact fit blades, they were rebranded with the NAPA logos but still the geniune part...$2.50 a blade!!

Good you stocked up. I try to pad my Amazon order if I'm buying something already to get free shipping or do the same thing at Advance auto if I'm using an online coupon code.

Good deal. Walmart is still my best bet for Motorcraft catridge filters - they run about 20 cents more expensive through RockAuto.

I buy a lot of my oil filters at garage sales and thrift stores. I have the part numbers memorized, and they turn up from time to time.
smile.gif
I have quite a cache of them at the moment... I just inspect them first to make sure they're clean and not dented up.

Good score!

I've been frustrated with filter purchases for our Sedona as well. Finally caught Napa on a good sale and got a bunch of Golds for 5 bucks each. Prior to that the best I'd managed to do was over 7 dollars so I had been buying 1 at a time.

Nice! +1 to Rockauto. They are great so as long as u know exactly what you are looking for!

However, I purchase OEM oil filters for my Hyundai in a case of 6 from an online dealership (to properly maintain records and warranty).

Rock auto normally gives you a case discount as well. My Firebird and my pickup both use the same filter so I bought a case of WIX filters for them. Can't remember what I paid but even with shipping was cheaper than buying at the local store.

As I don't use them quickly, I prefer not to buy filters in bulk and store them. With RA's shipping charges included that makes their filter prices prohibitive for me.

And now with Advance now having a 30% off online code on any purchase, and my local Napa having semi annual 40% off Gold filters, no need to buy in bulk to reduce the shippng costs. And I can inspect the filters before final purchase.

I liked K&N oil filters, .
I still have 1 left for my Ram truck, but that'll be the last 1 !!
As they are no longer made in this country!
Thinking of going with NAPA Gold [which I think is made by Wix]

Originally Posted By: OlPalGary
Thinking of going with NAPA Gold [which I think is made by Wix]
You are correct, sir. NAPA Gold is identical to WIX-branded filters except for the paint on the can. Same thing with CarQuest Blue.

i've got a 25 dollar gift card to RA I've got to use up before the end of the year--can anyone point me to the easiest way to find oil and air filters--I never use the site, because for me the way the parts finder is set up is not logical--I know, it's my thought process, not theirs
Do you have to alwyas go to the specific car you have to find a filter, or is there a section on filters?

RockAuto I assume. Just scroll down to your make, then year, then model then, then engine size, then type oil filter in the text box.

Be sure to look around online for a 5% discount code somewhere. They are always out there and you put the number in the "How did you hear about us" text box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back