I love when this happens

So my father gave me his 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi. I’m familiar with this generation as a long time Jeep man and also owned at one point a 2005 model. Father said he hasn’t done in oil change in quite some time so naturally I do it myself.

Last time he did it, he went to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change store by his house. I first do the oil filter as on these 5.7 Hemis they are in an annoying spot. First thing I noticed is that the filter is too small; I spot it’s a Valvoline VO25 filter. That thing was on their tight! Every oil filter wrench I had in my arsenal was not budging, so I had no choice to stab it with a screwdriver and I got it out finally.

Looking at the application sheet for Valvoline filters I see it’s very vague; they don’t show engine types but only Make and Year ranges. From what I can tell, they put the filter on for the 4.8 V8 not the 5.7.
2771095C-ED0F-44F4-9AF1-01D6EFB73A5A.jpeg

That is the proper, yet smaller, application for your Jeep 5.7
Guess you'd rather the filter be loose.
Next time let your husband try.
I'd get it off with a simple band wrench,
Screwdrivers are for fasteners.
That oil looks terrible.
Have to assume it's Valvoline oil. Extended OCI? No doubt.
I tire of many members, here, putting down those who make a living changing oil.
No offense OP. I'm sure you're good at something.
Quick Lubes have come a long way since the early 80's.
The plugs was tight. The right filter installed. What more could you ask?
Gotta get to bed. Got a bunch of engines to blow tomorrow to feed the
lore (a body of traditions and knowledge on a subject or held by a particular group, typically passed from person to person by word of mouth.) of future generations.
G'night

VO-25 looks like Fram 3614…

Rock Auto says you should use Fram PH16 (or equivalent)

PH8a is an inch and a half an inch longer, 5 inches…

And Wix 51773 is 7 inches long..

Not suggesting Fram here, just using them and Wix as a reference…

Valvoline is using one generic small filter to cover many sizes.

Run a "2002 Saturn SL2" through, which takes a 3614 size, and you get VO-25

Run it through Rock Auto, you get PH16...

So my father gave me his 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi. I’m familiar with this generation as a long time Jeep man and also owned at one point a 2005 model. Father said he hasn’t done in oil change in quite some time so naturally I do it myself.

Last time he did it, he went to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change store by his house. I first do the oil filter as on these 5.7 Hemis they are in an annoying spot. First thing I noticed is that the filter is too small; I spot it’s a Valvoline VO25 filter. That thing was on their tight! Every oil filter wrench I had in my arsenal was not budging, so I had no choice to stab it with a screwdriver and I got it out finally.

Looking at the application sheet for Valvoline filters I see it’s very vague; they don’t show engine types but only Make and Year ranges. From what I can tell, they put the filter on for the 4.8 V8 not the 5.7. View attachment 145996
I changed th oil and filter on a 5.7 HEMI for years. The oil filter is in a difficult spot just in front of the block on the right (passenger) side.

I’m familiar with the look. I had to crinkle-down on a couple oil filters back in the late 60s and early 70s. 🤨

Now I have time again!

Yeah, I’m very familiar with the right filter from my 2005, I always went with the WIX 51085 which is the right one so when I got in there and saw that smaller one, I was very very very confused.

The VIOC my dad went to, was one of the locations that used to be an Oil Can Henry’s and back in the day, they were good, they used filters from Security as I recall.

Back