I hate our SL2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, forgot three things. Add warped rotors (pretty sure), peeling weatherstripping on the door, and broken electrical wires for the trunk.
mad.gif

This thread is going to become my "fix it" list for this car.
twak.gif

pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
That's only provided that the vehicle had previously been well-maintained. But I prefer new cars anyway...

Well, compiling this list is another weapon in your arsenal to convince your mom to buy a new car, especially before this one turns 100k and might still have some trade-in value (and before you spend what sounds like several hundreds on repairs). I'm going to guess you'll do a much better job of staying on top of maintenance on the new one, as it seems there's a lesson to be learned here (as you aluded to).

Tosh,

We won't be ditching this car anytime soon...it'll be staying in the family fleet for the forseeable future.

Transmission VB aside (which hasn't failed yet), total cost of repairs is well less than $200...and is within my reach of DIY.

Not sure of your point regarding maint...none of these problems are really maintenance related??? They're all design issues.

confused.gif

Hi

Everything you have mentioned is typical of an older car...especially at 100,000 miles.

None of this is earth shattering considering 10.5 years and 90,000 miles.
nono.gif

Fix or trade time.

And that car probably needs new shocks soon (or already) as well...tires again in 10k or so.

Definitely keeping it...

Hi

A notable number around here from that era and most still look quite nice, no small feat in this climate.

Many owners rationalize that each repair will be their last and keep making them. As long as you
accept that you car's normal will be shop and driveway time, drive and wrench, drive and wrench.

quote:

Perhaps I'll need to find a car that allows me to do nothing but oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, tires, and fluid changes for the first 100k...(...snip...)

Oh I just can't resist any more! Mike, all ya gotta do is look underneath the big red and white sign that says "TOYOTA" at the top. There you will find a vast supply of cars that meet your criterion.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

You know, I've had to spend some $$ repairing the Saturns I've owned. But never as much as Mike is facing.

Really, for about $1200 in repairs your car will last at least another 100K. And that's a high estimate. Can you buy a new car for $1200? No. Sometimes just fixing the small stuff is far cheaper than dropping $15K-20K on a new vehicle of any make. All in all is it frustrating? Yes, but your wallet will thank you in the long run.

As for shocks, see if you can find someone that will do it on the side for a lot less than the $800-$800 that the dealers and garages are asking. Shocks are only about $50 each from AutoZone.

You can do brakes yourself, with cermamic pads from AutoZone, including new rotors for about $120. A friend of mine just did his. Never ever tried to do brakes before. He said it was easy.

Give yourself a few days to fix things up. Crank the radio in the garage and have fun. Oh yeah, and change the oil while you're at it
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Perhaps I'll need to find a car that allows me to do nothing but oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, tires, and fluid changes for the first 100k...(...snip...)

Oh I just can't resist any more! Mike, all ya gotta do is look underneath the big red and white sign that says "TOYOTA" at the top. There you will find a vast supply of cars that meet your criterion.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Is that really the case though? Honestly don't know, but I thought Toyotas needed timing belts replaced before 100k. Or have they gone to chains? The dealership will get you for a few hundred bucks right there.

I know, I know; all in good fun.
wink.gif
But yes, they are moving from timing belts to chains. For example, all engines installed in the mainstream Camry now have chains. But for sure, there are many many thousands of Toyotas in service that will need belts for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back