I guess I'm getting new power poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a visit from an employee from the power company today. Seems that the 2 poles on my property are not buried deep enough. I guess it's someones job to measure poles.

He said that the power will be out for 6 hrs. This means I have to take time off of work to deal with my generator to power my mothers oxygen generator,fridge etc.

He said that the poles them selves are in great shape, just not deep enough.Now I ask. Why are they worried about the depth of the poles now?

After all they were planted in 1958! They have been through multiple earthquakes including the 7.3 Landers quake. As well as very strong winds. One wind storm blew the roof completely off of our cabin!

Poles are still standing.

Seems like they are buried far enough for me.

The reason they didn't put them any deeper is because in 58 they hit bedrock and could not get through it with the auger. Hopefully they have a cable drill like what they use to drill water wells here.

Cant dig here with a big drill bit!

It IS, California, after all!
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
It's simple. Someone made up a rule. Making up rules is very important. The new rules don't have to correct anything or be useful in any way. What's important is that someone in charge has got their responsibilities and so there will be some new rules.

I presume the guidelines for how deep power poles must be buried is based on the calculations of expert engineers. Of course, maybe an improperly secured power pole could be reinforced with guy-wires or even with rebar, which I hear has many unexpected uses.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It IS, California, after all!
shocked2.gif

Sounds like new or updated regulations went into effect and they are required to meet them.

They may be standing but is the wood finally starting to dry rot, even with tar they start to get brittle with age, you said you get very hot and dry weather there so perhaps they are trying to prevent a pole failure from something more than just lack of depth.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The reason they didn't put them any deeper is because in 58 they hit bedrock and could not get through it with the auger.

And now they will force their way through? Just enough time for the Fish Cheer. Whoopie, we're all gonna die!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
As long as they are paying for it, and you get good new poles its a win-win

I'm sure he and his neighbours will be paying for it one way or another. None of these "improvements" are ever "free".

You may try writing a letter telling the company about the bedrock '59 incident, lest they rediscover it and leave you without power for a longer period than originally planned.

Better to get the new poles and be without power for 6 hours then have the poles break be without power for days. Good thing you already have a generator.

Quote:
He said that the power will be out for 6 hrs. This means I have to take time off of work to deal with my generator to power my mothers oxygen generator,fridge etc.

Chris, I would certainly inform the power company of your mother's medical condition. Maybe than can make a generator available.

My BIL has COPD and I made a battery backup power system for him.

If his OG goes down for more than an hour, it's off to the ER.

Those are the 'shovel ready' jobs that we paid a trillion for a few years back. Got some of that Obama money to spend. Moderators.... That is not a political statement. It is money already spent. Its behind us. Gotta keep up those infrastructure improvements.

Ask the power company for a sizeable credit on your bill due to inconvenience and need to take the day off from work with your mom's medical needs.

At Edison poles go in the ground 10% of height plus 2 feet.40 footer is 6 feet in the ground. Can take off 6 inches if it has a down guy. If you want the old poles just tell the crew.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Those are the 'shovel ready' jobs that we paid a trillion for a few years back. Got some of that Obama money to spend. Moderators.... That is not a political statement. It is money already spent. Its behind us. Gotta keep up those infrastructure improvements.

I'm going to take you literally and not sarcastically. Replacing power poles before they break is something I'm proud that we as a first world nation do.

When the lights go out in a storm/ earthquake/ whatever who's first to complain that the PoCo puts all their money in CEO bonusses and not into their own grid?

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I presume the guidelines for how deep power poles must be buried is based on the calculations of expert engineers. Of course, maybe an improperly secured power pole could be reinforced with guy-wires or even with rebar, which I hear has many unexpected uses.

There goes your poor old sense of humour...although it's a bit of a far fetched application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back