I got a response from Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

A Purolator with a tear still filters your oil, in its entirety, in a multi-pass automotive lubrication system.

It just may take a second or third trip through the oil pump.

Not per design, and not what people really want to pay money for and use on their vehicles. ... except for a few guys who don't really care how good an oil filter works.
eek.gif

Clearly that's wrong.

Even top of the line filters do not capture all contaminants in one pass.

Otherwise their efficiencies would be 100% for the rated particle size.

I'm not trying to justify the Purolator QC issues, but there are people on this forum doing irrational things because of all the hysteria surrounding these minor Purolator media defects.

Your analogies aren't even close - how does an empty cereal box equate to a defective oil filter? - LOL
crazy.gif

What's your definition of a "used up" filter? ... one that has tears in it and that is to be expected because it's "used up". You don't even understand your own attempt at trying to make an analogy why tears in an oil filter are no different that other products that are defective and don't work as designed.

The OP didn't give me much to work with with computers and cereal boxes.

A standard oil filter with 6,800 miles is clearly past its service limit and is the empty cereal box.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand any discussion that didn't push FRAM's market image forward.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a
hole or tear in filter media does NOT filter in an effective manner as it was originally designed to do, not only that it is a case of false advertising if that filter tear prevents the percentage of particulates removed as Purolator claims. I'm no FRAM fan either.

Bottom line is that Purolator should fix the issue and let
consumers know that a correction to address the issue has been implemented with a certain production date. Their silence is
what I would perceive as incompetence and or arrogance, it only gets worse for them the longer they avoid being direct with the consumer.

Last edited:

A Purolator with a tear still filters your oil, in its entirety, in a multi-pass automotive lubrication system.

Not per design, and not what people really want to pay money for and use on their vehicles. ... except for a few guys who don't really care how good an oil filter works.
eek.gif

Clearly that's wrong.

Even top of the line filters do not capture all contaminants in one pass.

Otherwise their efficiencies would be 100% for the rated particle size.

Again, it doesn't filter the oil as designed. The filters were not designed with tears in the media. Depending on the size of the tear, the filter will never achieve the same efficiency no matter how many passes the oil goes through the filter.

I'm not trying to justify the Purolator QC issues, but there are people on this forum doing irrational things because of all the hysteria surrounding these minor Purolator media defects.

A filter is not supposed to be designed to produce tears in the media while in use, therefore people are not "doing irrational things" by wanting to go buy a more reliable oil filter. You can think of the tears as "minor", but you are at least 3 sigma out from the normal viewpoint on the issue.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand any discussion that didn't push FRAM's market image forward.

Actually, it pretty hard to understand some of those nonsense analogies - really a far stretch there. Yes, I like the Ultra like 8 out of 10 guys here. No need to "push FRAM's market image forward" as that filter is doing it for them all by itself. Anyone who can understand specs and see with their own eyes what's inside will most likely go for an Ultra ... unless of course they are not concerned about filtering efficiency and only want to spend $1.97 on an oil filter.
grin.gif

Quote:

I will not be buying any Puro filters (at least for a while) but I have a few left to (maybe) use up. I am trying to make an informed decision about using them.

What SilverC6 says makes intutive sense to me, but I'm not an expert.

So, my question - are there data out there that show the amount of dirt a tear like we are seeing will let through? In real world terms, how much damage will using a filter with a tear do?

My DD Taurus has ~180k miles, will it make a difference if I want to see 300k?

edit - having a tough time typing, sorry.

Last edited:
^^^ If it does cause added wear, you will probably never detect it and the engine certainly isn't going to "blow-up". But do you want to use, and feel comfortable with using an oil filter that could be running through an entire OCI with tears in the media?

Would you rather use an oil filter with tears, or without tears in the media? Do you like gambling? If you don't mind "small risks" then use 'em ... otherwise ???

I've got 4 or 5 PureOnes waiting to go on something ... I'll probably use them since those models have had just a couple reported tear incidents ... much less than other models, so they are what I'd consider low risk units. Or I might use them for AR-15 shooting practice since they are highly visible at long distances.
grin.gif

I doubt we're making any type of blip on Purolator's radar.

Some are attributing the tears due to the uneven pleat spacing and I thought I remembered the uneven spacing inherent to the tooling design used to manufacture oil filters.

I know that this video is for the OCOD but I wonder if Purolator uses something similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjXtmbL1Kk
Go to the 3:09 mark and pause.

Maybe material source for the media could be the issue?

It's frustrating that all we can do is guess at what the problem is.

I would guess they should have weakened the bypass spring to let it open sooner and avoid the blowout?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I would guess they should have weakened the bypass spring to let it open sooner and avoid the blowout?

Lowering the bypass valve setting would be a band-aid fix that will cause other problems ... like too much oil bypassing the filter when it really shouldn't be. Kind of like having a tear in the media all the time. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Which spec do they publish? Is it bypass psi or sq inches of filer media?

Bypass opening PSI. If you want the media square inches, you gotta cut it open and measure that yourself.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
SilverC6: The least you can do is update your status on what oil filters you run.
wink.gif

Oil filters currently installed:

RX8 - Purolator
BMW M6 - OEM BMW/Mahle
BMW 550ix - OEM BMW/Mahle
BMW Z4M Coupe - OEM BMW/Mahle
Land Cruiser - OEM Toyota
Camry #1 - OEM Toyota
Camry #2 - FRAM OCOD
Chevrolet Lumina - STP
RAM Cummins 3500 - Fleetguard Stratapore
Jeep Cherokee - Hastings (work vehicle)

In addition to the above brands, my filter stash also includes Wix, Microgard, and NAPA filters.

You might as well say I use all manufacturers.

But it looks like I need to buy a Donaldson filter to complete the set.

By your exaggerated examples, it's clear that you don't understand the issue.

You are cutting open and examining a used oil filter at the end of its service life.

Sure it's going to be used up.

So your examples become:

- After grilling, you find that all the briquettes burned well except for two that didn't ignite properly.

- One of your 30 new energy efficient windows did not have the correct advertised R-value.

- Your disk drive on your Windows XP computer, after eight years of use, doesn't work like a new one.

- The box of Raisin Bran that you've enjoyed for the last three weeks is now empty and you can't have breakfast this morning.

There you go, fixed them for you.

If you're going to use logic, you'll have to leave the room.

Originally Posted By: telecat

If you're going to use logic, you'll have to leave the room.

Whoa....that's a good one dude!!!!!

You told that guy....

But I did enjoy the Gomer line.

That must be the way it's stated in the FRAM Ultra marketing material.

You told that guy....

Hey, you used logic. The sardines swam. Just another day in paradise.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: telecat

You told that guy....

Hey, you used logic. The sardines swam. Just another day in paradise.
laugh.gif

The nurse is tapping on the glass....time for your meds!!!!

The nurse is tapping on the glass....time for your meds!!!!
Back in the can with you, Sardine boy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back