Denso FTF 6k & Purolator Gold 6k C&P

Have two filters that I cut open, both after 6k intervals. Denso filter is from my '07 Pacifica 4.0L V6; size is a PH16 equivalent. Oil used was Chevron Supreme 5w-20. My impression is that it is a decent value for the price. I can't remember exactly how much I paid but it was under $5. It is certainly not the level of quality as the old blue Denso First Time Fit filters, which had silicone ADBV, more substantial filter media, and ridiculously even pleats-- just overall great construction. That said, this is still a filter I'd buy again if the price was right. Purolator Gold filter is off my '96 Maxima, size is a PH3593A equivalent. Oil used was Castrol Edge EP 5w-20. Can't remember what I paid for this one either but it must have been a screaming deal because Purolators are pretty far down the list of filters I'd buy. After seeing this one I don't intend on changing that position! I'm rather perplexed as to why the circumference of the filter media is significantly smaller than the can. The only thing I can figure is that they use the same media template/size for two or more different sized cans, essentially making the media from a smaller can fit this one... perhaps to save on tooling? The pleats near the metal seam were very distorted and pleat spacing very uneven in that area. I looked the media over carefully and did not spot any tears. Sure, the filter looks like it did its job, but there's definitely room for improvement. Pictures: PUROLATOR GOLD FILTER: [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] ----------------------------------------------------------------- DENSO FILTER: [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Thanks for the writeup! Just goes to show that even the cheapest Nippon Denso and WIX jobers are still better built then Purolator.