I found a great free GPS app for cell phones.

This is about a free and good app to use on your cell phone to use it as a GPS. The site said it works with Android or Apple phones. Mine is a very low cost Android based phone and it works great.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a YouTube on what every man should carry in his vehicle. One included loading the cell phone app "Gaia GPS" on a cell phone and having that phone with you. So I loaded it on my cheap $ 40.00 Refurbished Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit that uses an Android operating system and have been using this GPS system since then, and I have not had or used a GPS before that. It is an easy to use GPS with easy to learn powerful features. You can use discover (it looks like a little magnifying glass symbol on center bottom of the screen) to load an address or a GPS coordinate and it will show a map with the location, if you hit the three little circles on the top right of the screen after it finds the address the prompt for "show on Map" comes up. You click on that and the map comes up. Then click on the circle with the + sign in the middle and you can add a way point that will remain on the location in the map of the address you have just entered if you hit save. Then you can zoom in or out on the map. And a brown arrow head comes up showing your current location. And as you move it moves on the map.

It has roads and trails marked on the map. You can use it to follow your location on roads as you drive to addresses of a way point you have entered on the map.

And it uses the GPS satellites (not your cell phone tower or cell phone signal) so it does not use any cell phone air time.

There are things you can click on to show how many GPS satellites it is using to find your location. I checked it once and it said it currently recognized 14 satellites and was using 12 of them to locate where I was. It is very accurate. If you do not move for a few minutes, it gets even more accurate on showing the brown arrow head on the map where you are.

This app is free, and it seams to not eat up the battery life of the cell phone, and it does not use the cell phone air time. Also you can add pictures saved and linked to the way points you enter.

It is a powerful GPS that works well.

So far, I have used it twice to find locations that I had to drive to and it works well even when in a car while moving, or in a house while entering in a way point. I have also used it to follow my location while walking in woods and it works well. One of the things that is nice is you can use it for many hours while walking and it uses 0 cell phone air time.

Load it and try it. It really is a very good free GPS app to put on your phone. And if I with absolutely no background in using a GPS can figure it out just by using it for a couple of weeks, then you can figure it out also.

Unfortunately my 2016 CR-V EX does not have Android Auto. I did try to down-load the update talked about here on BITOG and also on the Honda CR-V owners forum to Android Auto and install it, but I could not get the vehicle to recognize the software on the flash-drive.

Still, I am glad to have the cell phone showing the map with way-points of addresses and an arrow head showing my current location. And the map on the Gaia GPS also shows trails and uses satellites, so it does not use any cell phone air time, so you can use it for many hours when in the woods and not use up any air time, and if you are ever anywhere where there is no cell phone tower signal it still works.

GPS by default doesn't use any cell towers. That's basically for the traffic info. With Google maps, you can download the maps in advance via wifi so that doesn't use up any data for your local maps.

Welcome to 2013.
Wife and I use Waze.
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay makes it even better.

They require cellular data and cell tower connectivity.
Lots of mountain driving where I live has no cell connectivity and these apps won't work.

They require cellular data and cell tower connectivity.
Lots of mountain driving where I live has no cell connectivity and these apps won't work.
Did you read the thread? Google maps and apps like Waze allows you to download the maps so you can use them offline. Only time your GPS won't work is probably due to heavy tree cover or indoors as GPS basically only works outside where you have some access to the sky.

Did you read the thread? Google maps and apps like Waze allows you to download the maps so you can use them offline. Only time your GPS won't work is probably due to heavy tree cover or indoors as GPS basically only works outside where you have some access to the sky.

I've been able to download a map, but Ive not had either actually place me on it without cell functionality.
I can go look at a pre-rendered route.Maybe my old 6S is the problem - maybe its me.

I get a reading similar to this screen

waze_off_11.png

I've been able to download a map, but Ive not had either actually place me on it without cell functionality.
I can go look at a pre-rendered route.Maybe my old 6S is the problem - maybe its me.

View attachment 34917
That screen is indicating the opposite of what you're suspecting. It's telling you it can't establish a GPS signal so it's using cell tower triangulation to guess your location.

You can turn cellular data to off and as long as you have local maps already on your device, you can use GPS. What you won't get without a data connection is traffic.

I used to use GPS via Google Maps quite often when travelling in remote places out west where there's no cell service. It worked fine, but I couldn't get traffic or turn-by-turn navigation.

I can only get " wide area" maps up without data.

In looking at the latest google iPhone app I cant see how to download maps anymore.

You need clear line of sight from the phone to the sky. If you have it in the middle of the car, the roof could be blocking the signal. I think some windshield glass is known to block GPS also. Try repositioning the phone to a different spot. Occasionally though in heavy overcast or bad weather or if there's tree cover or buildings, you won't be able to get a good signal.

My garmin works through the windshield but probably has a bigger antenna.

I got the download to work - they changed it a up a tiny bit this last version

This offline mode is limiting - you cant simply download an entire state but are forced to work in a "box" thats based on a pinch zoom.

I cant make it big enough to include my starting point and destination on my regular day long 450 mile trip. If I were working inside a city probably be ok.

Im curious if this is a limitation my phone or the app?

My garmin works through the windshield but probably has a bigger antenna.

I got the download to work - they changed it a up a tiny bit this last version

This offline mode is limiting - you cant simply download an entire state but are forced to work in a "box" thats based on a pinch zoom.

I cant make it big enough to include my starting point and destination on my regular day long 450 mile trip. If I were working inside a city probably be ok.

Im curious if this is a limitation my phone or the app?

You can do multiple sections of a map. Instead of everything on one map, split it up into 2 or more sections. Most people don't drive 450 on a daily basis. It does seem to have a limit on the size of the map you can have. I went to the max size and the data was going to be about 690 megs. Might also be a limitation on your phone on how much storage you have available or how much memory the app is allowed to take.

As a land surveyor, I feel compelled to explain the accuracies of cell phone gps. A cell phone gps is good for anywhere from 30-100 feet. The same for all handheld gps. The only way that these units can currently deliver more precise locations is by correcting their location based on GNSS satellites and a ground base base station.
The big catch is the accuracy of the maps or imagery that is displayed on your screen. If the imagery is inaccurate then you compound the issue. Ever look at you local tax mapping provided by your county? Notice it shows some boundary lines through houses? In all actuality, the lines don’t go through houses it’s just that the mapping is inaccurate.

Reactions: Y_K
Back