Android Cell Phone AntiVirus

And just how do you know what built-in Android antivirus software there is? My older Android may not have what a new Android has these days.
If its samsung, they come bundled with McAfee in the device manager. Personally I would not run Antivirus, unless you use janky apks or you tend to have sketchy no holds barr usage habits. Android antivirus does not work the same way as say a pc version of the same name, the os needs to be secure with security updates (different from feature updates).

Android antivirus does not work the same way as say a pc version of the same name, the os needs to be secure with security updates (different from feature updates).
Then why are there so many Android phone antivirus apps if they are not something to use or don't work very well. Look at the Google App Store and some of these have been downloaded over 100 million times and have 7.5 million user reviews. Any app installed can be easily uninstalled with a click of a button.

Then why are there so many Android phone antivirus apps if they are not something to use or don't work very well. Look at the Google App Store and some of these have been downloaded over 100 million times and have 7.5 million user reviews. Any app installed can be easily uninstalled with a click of a button.
The reason is false equivalency and lack of understanding about how different a mobile OS is compared to a windows operating system.

Most of the software you download and run on an android comes from a central store thats managed by google. There are more eyes reviewing that specific application. On a pc, software comes from different repositories independent of windows nor reviewed by them. There are way more vectors of entry into a pc then a android device.

Most of the software you download and run on an android comes from a central store thats managed by google. There are more eyes reviewing that specific application. On a pc, software comes from different repositories independent of windows nor reviewed by them. There are way more vectors of entry into a pc then a android device.
The phone apps are still created by the companies providing them. You don't think they develop and test their developed software for use on a phone app? You think for instance that Bitdefender or Malwarebytes who create a phone antivirus app don't know how to do it and make it work well?

The phone apps are still created by the companies providing them. You don't think they develop and test a phone app for a phone app? You think for instance that Bitdefender or Malwarebytes who create a phone antivirus app don't know how to do it and make it work well?
Did I say that? If you feel safer using an antivirus why not just use the built in mcafee that samsung bundles with your device?

It's about 6 years old. Been a great phone and still works well for my use. Google Play store shows lots of AntiVirus apps that will work on this phone. Looks like the top 3 rated Android AntiVirus apps in the Google Play Store are: AVG, Avast and Bitdefender. Of the 3, Bitdefender doesn't share info with 3rd parties whereas AVG and Avast do.

This articles shows Bitdefender rating well, so maybe I'll give that a try.

An antivirus wont necessarily protect you from exploits in the operating system. If your phone is 6 years old there is a very high chance it's not receiving security updates, in which case the OS of the phone is at a higher risk of compromise. An "antivirus" on an android phone will only protect you from rogue/spyware type apps, which shouldn't be an issue if you stick to mainstream apps on the app store. Nothing you do as a user on an android phone is running as Admin or root, so most attacks will target the OS. If you're concerned about your security you should protect the OS and upgrade to a phone with regular security updates.

Avast One works very well. Runs in real time and also scans apps you already have plus any apps you want to download. It is the only Android AV I have seen that is free to use and has real time protection. The other free cell phone AV's mostly are just scanners that don't work in real time, they only scan what is already running on the phone. Avast also scans wifi networks and can delete junk files. I use it on my Pixel 6, it does what it says and is also very easy on the battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.antivirus.one&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

I put Malwarbytes (free version) on my Android cell phone a few years ago, but it's not functioning anymore and when I go to the Google App Store it shows that it's not supported anymore. So I'm looking in the Google App Store for another good Android AntiVirus app. I need to uninstall Malwarebytes and load something new.

Anyone here using a free Android cell phone AntiVirus app that's worth trying? Looking at the App Store, looks like these are pretty highly rated by users. All of these are free apps.

Bitdefender
ESTE
Avira
AVG
Avast
I've been using the free version of Avira on both my Android phone and my Windows PC's for years. It's one stop "free" shopping.
Avira has a long historical track record of scoring much higher on the detection tests than US companies like McAfee and Norton.

I also look at what country makes the Anti-virus. I like Avira as its made in West Germany. I didn't want Bitdefender as it's based in Romania which is one of the Soviet era satalite countries and I was concerned about it having hidden state sponsored security risks. No evidence of this, just a small doubt, that I wanted to avoid. ESET is also based in Chekeslovakia I believe, so wanted to avoid it too.
Kaspersky was banned on all US government computers as it's a Russian company.

I prefer a utility like DefSquid
I don't have much luck with Android AVs.
I try most and dump them soon after. Last night I tried Bitdefender on my new Sammy A15 because of this thread and it caused all kinds of freezing and when I did the uninstall the problems went away.

I use AVG on my Android phone because I also use it on my personal laptop and my work computer. Once you buy a subscription, it covers numerous devices. I've had viruses in the past on my computers using other AV products but never a problem with AVG. I'm cautious in my browsing but not saintly.

I am really, really surprised that anyone uses A/V on their phones. It seems like a tremendous drain on the battery, among other things.

Has anyone's phone A/V ever proved useful by catching or exposing anything of substance?!
They dont run actively in the background unfortunately. Avast supposedly does, but more research on that claim is necessary, as it seems to harden your browser as its "real time blocker."

My recommendation on devices that are no longer supported by regular security updates (monthly) besides not using it.
-Use it as a media consumption no risk device. If it gets compromised no skin off your back.
-Force all wifi connections to a manual adblocker DNS service.
-Run a firewall/content blocker that runs natively on the device.
-Run a secure browser thats regularly updated
-Practice secure browsing habits whether on the internet or just sms/mms?

Back