I Finally Did It !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just got a new '03 Durango (4.7L SLT 4X4) and I don't plan on buying any new cars for a long time either. She drives about 15,000 miles a year (to make it to a million miles would take 67 years
grin.gif
). I have heard of sludging issues with this engine so I will be using Havoline 10W-30 and changing every 3,000 miles. Was going to use synthetic, but with the 6 quart oil capacity gets awful expensive at even 6,000 miles OCI(which BTW is the maximum interval to keep the warranty because Chrysler specifically warns against extended drains). Have heard good things about Amsoil ATF in this transmission (www.dodgedakotas.com) and I think that 25,000 -30,000 miles is a reasonable interval if you don't do heavy towing. I would change @15,000 miles if heavy towing. The ball joint issue will more than likely involve a recall later so I wouldn't worry about that. Ball joints are an easy DIY job anyway. Just be aware that synthetic oil will sludge but takes longer. Don't do extended OCI on this engine and you will be ok.
cheers.gif

Jeepzj; I was wondering about that. I had the Amsoil ATF in my last Durango 4.7 2K and it was great. i had 130,000 miles on her before I traded her for this one: 2003 4.7 4x4. The Dakota guy's really like this fluid. They have had no problems with it either. Do you think I should still use the Lubeguard with the Amsoil as well?

Cousincletus: I have a 2003 4.7 4x4 with the tow package. It has an extra oil cooler and a tranny fluid cooler as well. I have been using Mobil1 synthetic 5w-30 since 300 miles. I did that with my last D also and the engine was purring like new at 130,000. It is a very well built truck and I am sure that you both will get alot of mileage out of it with good maintanance.

Thunderchild,

Amsoil's ATF will work fine by itself. Amsoil specifically advises against mixing different additives with their ATF. If you do have problems with the ATF, the addtion of the Lubegard may harm your case.

BTW did you find a suitable location for the dual bypass system on your D? I have a 4.7 Dakota and was considering the BMK-11 do to lack of a mounting locations for the dual system. Several people here claim the single bypass system works better.

Just my .02

SSlube: I am not going to add anything to my Amsoil fluid. I just got off the Dodgedakota web site reading about Amsoil and transmissions. Great info and LOT'S of Amsoil in tranny's over there. Nothing but good things to say about it.

The only real place I found was inside the frame rail right by the current oil filter location. This is the shortest distance and seems to be pretty well protected. My truckis running smoother than the day I bought it. The all Amsoil change over really makes a difference to me. I drive about 44 miles one way to work so I get a good sense of what my truck is doing. I can't wait for vacation time in July. I will be driving to Martha's Vineyard for 8 hours and I am going crazy to see how she will do with gas mileage. it seems the same so far but a long highway jaunt will be even better.

Cousincletus: Don't believe the BS about 4.7liters and sludge. It is not true! The engines that do sludge are the dino users that do not perform the regular oil changes. These are very rare. The 5.2 was known to do some sludging though. Yes the 4.7 does create more internal heat. With the regular dino juice you must do 3,000 mile changes. With a superior synthetic/true synthetic and not the hydrocracked variety(Castrol...) you can do extended changes. I will not go over the 7500 mile recommendation the I read in my manual though. i think that is the limit. The DCX boy's must have been drinking that night they put that in the user manual!!!

quote:

Originally posted by thunderchild:
SSlube: I am not going to add anything to my Amsoil fluid. I just got off the Dodgedakota web site reading about Amsoil and transmissions.
Great info and LOT'S of Amsoil in tranny's over there. Nothing but good things to say about it.

The only real place I found was inside the frame rail right by the current oil filter location. This is the shortest distance and seems to be pretty well protected. My truckis running smoother than the day I bought it. The all Amsoil change over really makes a difference to me. I drive about 44 miles one way to work so I get a good sense of what my truck is doing. I can't wait for vacation time in July. I will be driving to Martha's Vineyard for 8 hours and I am going crazy to see how she will do with gas mileage. it seems the same so far but a long highway jaunt will be even better.

I have a Bmk-15 to install in my Dad's truck. I'll have to take a look at the spot you mentioned and see how it looks.

All I have left to do on my 2000 Dakota is Amsoil ATF, anti-freeze, and the bypass. I have the gear lube and the s3000 5w-30 oil.

SSlube: I did the front and read diff's and there is a difference in drivability. My Durango is much smoother on the road. Like I said earlier I am going to "try" to get the 500,000 mile mark. With the Amsoil ATF what would you recommend as a drain interval? Since 30000 is supposed to be the norm and AMS states it goes 3x farther, I would think it would need changing around 80000 would be my guess instead of 90000 to be safe. What would you all do?

I have confidence in Amsoil fluids. I would however run 50,000 miles and do a lubricant analysis to see the condition of the ATF. I would either change or continue using the fluid based on the results.

Bill,

SSlube: That soundds about right. I will leave it in and check it at 62,000. that will put 50,000 on the fluid. I was on the dakota board and they have alot of people that really love this fluid. Same engine and tranny as mine. I do believe that I have made the right decision to go all the way with the Amsoil products. At the moment I have Mobil1 10w-30 in my truck but I am going to buy some Amsoil 10w-30 and put it in at my next oil change. I have always used the Amsoil filters since day one of ownership.

what are the chances of an absolutely perfectly mint '93 Acura Legend with 90kmi making it to 500,000? My dad just picked it up, and I'm telling you, this car is as clean as they get. Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. The body and paint are perfect, as are the seats and interior. If we can keep it in the rust free condition I think that this could be the car.

I agree with dagmando; Get the PROPER ATF back into your transmission. I will add one other thing. Use an oem paper air filter and not an Amsoil filter and change it regularly. Several of my friends get 300-500,000 miles from various vehicles but, in all cases they drive long distances per cold start-up. Typically they drive 60-83 miles one way to work over expressways. Most of my other friends get 150,000+ miles with 50/50 mix of local/highway. Good luck and you may wish to get an oil analysis after breakin to verify your progress. ed
smile.gif

Carrera79: I don't know about 500,000 but if it is in that good of condition I would do a full switch over to synthetic. The members here may agree that a good treatment with Auto RX should be done before the total synth switch over for the engine. After this your Dad should have a long and healthy relationship with that Acura! >8^)>

Well, I have about 1000 miles on the traany now with the Amsoil synthetic ATF and I must say the trans is smooth. the shifts are almost undetectable now. On the highway it seems to run quieter and it just coasts easier than before. Check out the DodgeDakota web site and you will see there are dakotas there and now some Dodge dealers in parts of the country that are using all Amsoil products for thier vehicles. Go to the web site and do a search on "transmission". Good things to say about the Amsoil products over there!!!

quote:

Originally posted by thunderchild:
Jeepzj; I was wondering about that. I had the Amsoil ATF in my last Durango 4.7 2K and it was great. i had 130,000 miles on her before I traded her for this one: 2003 4.7 4x4. The Dakota guy's really like this fluid. They have had no problems with it either. Do you think I should still use the Lubeguard with the Amsoil as well?

No don't use the lubeguard, From what I"ve been told the Universal ATF is a very complex chemistry, no additive will help it do better than it already does.

Those transmission builds add that "CRAP" additive becuase they take a non ATF+4 fluid and try to make it that by adding an additive. The Universal stuff was designed that way. I was told this not from Tech support at Amsoil, but during a teleconference with Alan Amatuzio.

Don't worry about the univeral atf, will will work as advertised.

msparks: I am definitely staying away from ANY additives from now on. 20 years or so ago I fell for the Slick50 advertising and put it in a Merkur xr4ti. Engine did not make it to 88,000 miles. I learned my lesson back then. It will be Amsoil fluids ONLY for my vehicles and maybe keep using Mobil1 in my Ford. The 6 banger seems to love the 5w-30 Mobil1 SS. I even use the Amsoil oil and air filters. Gotta stay consistent. >8^)>

quote:

I would recommend getting that Universal ATF crap out of your tranny

Naaah. Amsoil ATF is good stuff. Had it in a few Dodge/Chrysler Trannys and it performed better then Chrysler's ATF+1234567890 or whatever. Good luck with that 500,000 mile mark
grin.gif

1maniac: Thanks. I used the Amsoil ATF in my previous 2000 Durango and it had 130,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I have been on the Dodgedakota board and they even have found Dodge dealers that now supply Amsoil to thier customers. I think that this is going to be a great journey. Time for some cross country driving now.

Even if some think 500,000 is unreasonable it will not hurt. You have to have goal and lofty goals usualy inspire more then lowly goals.

Unless you drive 50,000 miles a year I think that 300,000 for the engine and 200,000 for the transmission would be excellent goals to hit.

Remember no towing in overdrive and change both filters in the trans each time you drain the fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back