Question for the board on how long my car will last using synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of a silly question based on a number of variables but here it goes. I just wanted to see if the experts on the board had any new insights.

1994 Honda Accord EX; Aprox. 128,000 miles on it

-Has seen nothing but Mobil 1, Amsoil, and German Castrol since the birth of the car.

-My vehicle doesn't consume a drop of oil and the oil still looks amber colored when I drain it out at every oil change.

So, How long do you think my engine will last?

Do you realistically think I could get 500,000 miles out of my engine or is this a crazy thought?

Will the synthetic oil have any effect on how long my engine will last?

Hondas have a reputation for running forever, right?

Please let me know your thoughts.

all depends on the maintenance on your vehicle,The care you take when driving it,and luck of the draw.
Realisitcly theirs to many variables to make a predicition. but IMO synthetic oil does genuinely help. Protects better at higher temperatures,Flows better at now temps,Higher oxidation stability,and usally has a better add pack.

I'll second that. In my family, we do not crack motors open; they outlast the rest of the vehicle. All of our vehicles are converted to synthetic within a week of purchase. I do think it is partially a psychological thing, but I do sleep better at night . ..

So long as the timing belt is regularly changed along with valve lash adjustments, cooling system maintenance etc., barring some unforeseen catastrophe like a major overheat or a snapped timing belt, I'd say yup! 500K wouldn't be an issue. You'll likely run into transmission and suspension problems or rust issues before the motor pushes up daisies.

No sir, it ain't going to make it. It took you 12 years to get that 128k and at that rate you have 36 years to go before you get to 500k. Nope, ain't going to make it.
grin.gif

Watch the radiator, if it has plastic parts it could crack and take out the head or camshaft bearings.

[ I think the cam runs in the aluminum head without any bearing shell ]

When you need a radiator, an OEM radiator is best.

Honda coolant or a top quality silcate / borate free coolant approved for Honda is best.

The water pump should be given extra attention.

It is probably timing belt driven. A bad water pump can kill a motor if it breaks a timing belt or causes the belt to jump teeth.

It will probably last longer than you want to keep it. I'd wager that the majority of (if not all) cars owned and maintained by BITOG'ers are (if not traded in or sold) retired due to collision or rust.

Question, how on earth is a radiator gonna mess your cam? I can understand overheating or pieces of the radiator plugging up the water passages, but a piece large enough to do that will never get into the engine, because the radiator would need that piece to keep the water in.

Beside that, I'd say you have a good chance of making it to 500k if you start driving the car more. Miles don't make the life of the engine, the equation goes more like:

Miles times frequency and type of maintenance minus time Multiplied by cold and dry starts. For instance, if you never change the oil, your car may last 20,000 miles on the factory fill before it explodes. You should factor in type of car and quality of oil somewhere in there too.

I use Amsoil in my wife's Corolla, 20,000 miles since last oil change and it's still amber.

A BMW has lasted a million miles with Mobil 1 changed every 7500 miles. For 15,000 mile oil changes Mobil 1 can make your car last 200,000 miles.

I see your from Grand Forks... I went to Paramedic school there @ the then 'United Hospital'. Good of you to use synthetic in those -40 degree winters!

andro are you implying that the shorter the interval, the greater the longevity? M1 can make your car last a lot longer than 200k on 15k changes...it depends on the car. New saabs are turing in beautiful UOAs on 0W40 at 15k.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
No sir, it ain't going to make it. It took you 12 years to get that 128k and at that rate you have 36 years to go before you get to 500k. Nope, ain't going to make it.
grin.gif

My thoughts exactly

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:

quote:

Originally posted by WiredForStereo:
Question, how on earth is a radiator gonna mess your cam?

The engine overheats and the head warps. Since the cam is in the head it can't warp. It'l eat the alum head up where the cam rides or even break.

Ding ding ding! You are correct, Sir!

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
-My vehicle doesn't consume a drop of oil and the oil still looks amber colored when I drain it out at every oil change.

How often do you change the oil?

[ July 30, 2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: BlazerLT ]

Well, even if the engine holds on, the REST of the car will become very expensive to maintain. Suspension bushings, peripheral components, all the plastic they use for the headlight mountings, interior parts and all manner of items that deteriorate and are critical to the safety of the vehicle will drive the cost/benefit analysis over the edge. They simply aren't worth piling bucks into at a certain point.

My 92 Hyundai Elantra was a great little car to the end, but had a book value of only around 1000.00 when some very strange noises started coming from the accessory drive belt area. Couldn't decipher what it was, but a simple alternator cost 385.00, most of it labor, so it might have been at least that, whatever it was. It was due in a few months for a new timing belt (700.00 with WP). Suspension bushings shot. Clutch had 140K on it, too, so that would have been 5 or 600.00 soon, too.

So when it comes down to it, you're throwing good money after bad. The engine had 170K on it and ran like new, except for the external noise, but the body had 268K, and it was a little...tired. I'm told it was sold to the auctions they hold in Mexico. Probably is now a Tijuana Taxi with my new Dunlops and Interstate Megatron as we "speak".

If only the internally-lubricated parts were all we had to worry over, eh?
dunno.gif

I'm in Minnesota too and agree with SSDude - 285-350k - sumpthin' like that...

What Oil Filters do you use...???

Run a good Air Filter, check on the PCV, Anti-freeze, run some Seafoam or Techron or better yet Redline fuel system cleaner, etc...

Do those and you should run 'er up there...

Again - what Oil Filter...???

The Mobil 1 extended performance motor oil has either not been tested for the million mile engine durability or the results have not yet been announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back