Question for the board on how long my car will last using synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO synthetic motor oil is only part of a good maintenance plan that would lead to long, reliable service life of an engine.

Don't discount the importance of regular tuneups, air, oil, PCV, gasoline filter changes,spark plugs, valve adjustments, etc.

quote:

This is kind of a silly question based on a number of variables but here it goes. I just wanted to see if the experts on the board had any new insights.

1994 Honda Accord EX; Aprox. 128,000 miles on it

-Has seen nothing but Mobil 1, Amsoil, and German Castrol since the birth of the car.

-My vehicle doesn't consume a drop of oil and the oil still looks amber colored when I drain it out at every oil change.

So, How long do you think my engine will last?

With that maintenance schedule, I should say you're good to go the distance.

Just keep a watch on your air conditioner compressor clutch and associated drivebelt pulley.
wink.gif

My fleet of Chevy trucks and BMW cars averaged 250,000 miles on conventional oil, changed at 90 days or 4,000 miles.

With USA Castrol Syntec, I am getting 500,000 miles changing at 7,000 miles/6 months (old Chevys) to 15,000 miles (new BMWs).

By the way, when an engine shows signs of age, I have found Lucas Oil Supplement (original and new synthetic) to return oil pressure and gas mileage to almost new spec for an additional 100,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by androbot2084:
A BMW has lasted a million miles with Mobil 1 changed every 7500 miles. For 15,000 mile oil changes Mobil 1 can make your car last 200,000 miles.

Cite?

More than likely the rest of the car will nickle and dime you to death before the engine goes. I ran a Nissan truck to 250K before selling to my father-in-law (he still has it) on whatever dino was on sale that week and never so much as cracked the valve cover. Instead I replaced the evaporator, universal joints, master cylinder, alternator--well you get the picture. Once a vehicle is worth $1000 bucks or so even minor repairs are tough to swallow.

quote:

Originally posted by sub006:

By the way, when an engine shows signs of age, I have found Lucas Oil Supplement (original and new synthetic) to return oil pressure and gas mileage to almost new spec for an additional 100,000 miles.

My, what a can of worms you potentially opened with that statement.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back