I don't have a problem...

I don't have a problem, I can stop at any time..... I just don't want to.

Thats my story thus far. Met a really nice fellow enthusiast today and picked up a rough parts sled (complete enough I may get it running) and real nice runner. He had restored it many years ago but used as a trail sled. Its nice.

Better pics to come, once I unload them and have a closer look. I guess I have a thing for those large OMC girls.

Attachments

• 20230107_175608.jpg
    20230107_175608.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 149
That's awesome. I started riding on sleds like that when I was just a few years old and my Dad would cruise around the lake. Really nice specimens!

Brian I ran across this, old sleds, you will get a kick out of it.

As soon as I saw national film board of Canada, I knew it would be good! Man if I ever met that creepy salesman, I'd by a sled from him too.

So as usual, one step forward, two steps back. My original Ghost needs a carb clean and new bowl gasket. Shes running a bit rough and seeping fuel. Still put a few miles on her.

My new Ghost still needs the drivers clamped. I bought new clamps but they don't fit. I'll exchange foe a bigger set.

The Ghost I bought in the fall starts and idles nice but has no power now. It will drive but no power, I'll address that when I swap bearings in the chaincase as it has a wobble.

Thats life with old sleds, perpetually fixing problems. But my youngest and I did have some fun today.

Attachments

• 20230114_152233.jpg
    20230114_152233.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230114_160056.jpg
    20230114_160056.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 13
Oh we got snow... knee high powder along the trails and 3/4 the way up some fence posts.

So I worked on my original Ghost today. Quick carb clean, set the float and new o ring (since I was in there). I then replaced the recoil handle that broke as it snapped out of my hand during a cold start backfire. While it still vibrates, it runs strong and no backfires now.

The new Ghost finally got correct clamps on the drivers and I replaced the in tank fuel line. It had a new weighted filter but the previous owner used black fuel line, which will degrade (this stuff was still intact but quite soft). I used proper clear line. While there is some old fuel still in the tank, some fresh treated mix was added. I warmed her up on a slow ride and then began to fatten her up. Close to a full turn on both.

She runs great!! Smooth and great power! My youngest and I burned some trail miles and had a blast as usual.

Tomorrow I'll bring the other Ghost in for a carb clean and see about digging into the secondary clutch.

Attachments

• 20230116_164026.jpg
    20230116_164026.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230116_164320.jpg
    20230116_164320.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 7
Pics to come, working on my Ghost I picked up in the fall. There is play in the secondary that needs to be addressed. Looked like the bearing going into the reverse box was bad. As I began tearing it down, I found the fixed sheave is loose, not the shaft itself. From what I gather, the fixed sheave rides on splines, so its possible its worn out.

In reading the shop manual, to remove the fixed sheave requires loosening off the chaincase, which the reverse box sits in between. I broke the reverse box free of the chaincase but the secondary will not come free. So thats on the agenda this week.

On a side note, this is the same sled that had secondary issues in the powder. Well today, I was going to run it into the heated shop from its cold storage and I decided to take it for a rip first. Well, she ran like a top!! I bombed it through as much powder as I could find, nearly tipped it each side as I floated it around. So I'll try to repair the fixed sheave, if not, she'll just get a clutch service.

I just went out to try again and the end cap/helix is supposed to slide off the shaft but mine is seized on. I sprayed it down and will try tomorrow.

I'm guessing this was my problem all along, the secondary was in bad need of a cleaning and lube.

So, progress... two steps back and one forward. Figured the seal alignment issue on the jackshaft. I had to loosen the chaincase to get clearance for the reverse box to come off, which was needed to get the secondary off.

I found the fixed sheave is loose, not the bearings. Its a pain to get the fixed sheave off so it can stay for now.

Of course reassembly has been fun, got it just about buttoned up and realized I forgot a spring in the reverse box..... great. Anyways thats a tomorrow problem.

Attachments

• 20230121_175214.jpg
    20230121_175214.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8
Still can't figure the fixed sheave out. But, I have the secondary working like butter. Needed a good clean and proper lube of the bushings. It really was dragging bad.

Attachments

• 20230122_183902.jpg
    20230122_183902.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
So the other day I got it all buttoned up, only to find the gasket between the chaincase, tunnel and driveshaft flangettes is leaking. To get that sorted I will need to loosen the track and get the thing up on a stand.

So I was going to take it for a shakedown when it just died as I rolled it out of the shop. Prime, run, die, rinse and repeat. Then look under the cowl and there is fuel everywhere. Looks like the primer burst and drained the line. Park her for the night to air out and hit it today.

Found the fuel line cracked at rhe carb and blew off. Cleaned that up but not sure why it was not clamped.... oh well. Got her running but with no headlight, no dice on a shakedown in the dark.

Prior I took the girls for a run on the trails. Lots of fun.

Attachments

• 20230125_161015.jpg
    20230125_161015.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 6
Well the Ghost that has the leaking flange gasket is almost sorted. It seeps a bit but will retain enough oil for my style of riding. But after the secondary was serviced, it moves great!

Did a primary service on my original Ghost, which helped quell some vibration. It rips to so my youngest and I hit some drifts. We both may have gotten stuck a few times....

Attachments

• 20230312_145014.jpg
    20230312_145014.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230312_145828.jpg
    20230312_145828.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230312_150706.jpg
    20230312_150706.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 4
Yeah they don't like the deep stuff, thats for sure. Not much paddle but at least its a wide track, 20.5 inches i believe. It really needs a set of wide ski skins. Although I will disagree with them being light. They are over 500 pounds dry, thanks to an all steel tunnel.

Back