I decided to go with PP and S2000 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to let everyone know I decided to change out the MC at around 5200 miles today to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20. After speaking to a senior parts guy who said I could use an S2000 filter and after examining a few there, I went with that one. I was awestruck by its size, workmanship and the big Made in Japan on the wrapper and it was only 3 bucks and change more then the regular FRAM Honda filter I get. Anyway, I am super happy just to get that decision out the way and be able to rub elbos with all you full synthetic guys. I just drove home and because it is a different oil, I have to give it a lot of miles to evaluate but the early markers look good.

Engine seemed quieter on startup and in general and my litnus test of seeing how cool the car is running is to turn on the vent on cool without the AC button on and see if it blows cold air when the car is fully warm. It did so I am happy with the "early " returns so far.

This was the tougest decision I have made in my life, car-wise simply because the MC was *that good* but ultimately, the lure of better FE, upcoming although allready present warm weather impending and the V6 is in general a warm application led me to my decision to forsake dino oil for good and enter the realm of full synthetic! After almost 27 thousand miles on dino and dino blends, my car today got it's first taste of full synthetic and I couldn't be more content for it. Protection is priceless!

If anyone wants updates to how this oil is doing now and throughout its first life in the crankcase, just post it here and I will happily oblige. I am in it for thousands of worry-free miles since I expect to push 6k OCIs in a "severe duty" application with some daily racing and the S2000 filter being bigger gives me that much more confidence now and much further down the road when I push 6 or even 7k! I gotta admit though, going from the small A02 filters to the much wider S2000 filter could give any hard-nosed car buff a woody. That filter is a beast!
whistle.gif

[Post Modified. Personal attacks on other members don't cut it here. If you feel another post is inappropriate, report it to us}

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still find the 'Oversized' Honda filter (Purolator L-24458) at Sears for $2.99

Get them while you still can cause this oil filter has been discontinued.

I'm happy to see that you finally made a decision.
I have two concerns though.
1. That all your decisions in life aren't this complex!
2. That your enthusiasm about the 15400-PCX-004 Honda oil filter doesn't cause a backorder problem for us S2000 owners! Honda dealers don't stock many parts for us already.

Quote:

This was the tougest decision I have made in my life...
I expect to push 6k OCIs in a "severe duty" application with some daily racing....

I can only assume you are attending a closed circuit course to do your "daily racing". If not, I would think you have atougher decision to make.

Not many of us parents like to hear about kids out racing their mediocre wannabe machines on the public byways. In fact, it is one of the biggest problems we have on the roadways in America...kids with complicated lives racing on public roads while endangering unsuspecting safe drivers and their families.

twocents.gif

I'm glad to see a young guy experimenting and learning ( I think) ...however I do give a talk to each years Sophmore class at the local high school about street racing. I have some (very graphic) photos of street racers who came to a sudden halt....not appropriate for this family forum. I never have/had much sympathy for the early demise of a street racer.....however they very often take out and kill innocent people with their quest for street glory in their wannbe racers on public roads. I would challenge you to rethink the entire street racing scene and go to one of many local tracks around the country ( I bet you have one within 100 miles)...they have specific classes for the novice weekend warrior....double bunus outside of the safety factor is you get to hang with guys who are real racers. You will learn a ton of driving techniques and engine modification tricks for free. I envourage you to seek out some of these tracks and go have some serious weekend fun man.
Other than that I'm happy you are expanding your mechanical knowledge and not just buying into marketing/butt dyno oil/lube blurbs. I suspect the PP will give you a great return on your investment.
Great book here...well written and a must for the serious young dude who wants to get into SCCA racing...at whatever level....here you go....
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Sarge I could not agree more with what you said. I highly recommend to anyone, young or old, that wants to go fast in their sporty car, join the SCCA and find your local chapter. I've been a member for 35 years and it's by far the best organization I've been a member of. Even if you don't want to race, get involved in the background of racing. Corner worker, timing and scoring, tech, etc. A wealth of knowledge and it's fun.

06VtecV6, not sure what part of the South your in, but I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
driving.gif

Quote:

Where did you get your S2000 filter? Is it the same as those HAMP ones?

I got the S2000 filter straight from the dealer. I am not sure if it is the same as the HAMP filter. I'll dig around to see but not sure. The S2k filter is much wider and probably a bit taller too. I felt I needed it for the synthetic interval I may experience but I just wanted better filtration construction and more media and since this filter is bigger, all the more better.

Did you know that honda does not recommend synthetic oil in the S-2000, for the first 10k miles? And there there are two oil filters out now. The japanese with the right part # and the domestic with no part # possibly made by fram.IIRC

Quote:

Did you know that honda does not recommend synthetic oil in the S-2000, for the first 10k miles? And there there are two oil filters out now. The japanese with the right part # and the domestic with no part # possibly made by fram.IIRC

Oh no I did it agian
ooo.gif
please ignore I thougt we were talkig S-2000's sorry.

Quote:

No I didn't...that's good, I guess. Yeah the S2k filter had a part number on the wrapper. I should have kept the wrapper and framed the thing. Main thing is I got a bigger filter with more media for a synthetic drain OCI. yeah and my cabin filter gave me a good 1 or 2 hp, placebo or not!
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back